The Current Waterman Converter Disaster

Left FPN

I have not checked any of my Waterman converters, because I never remove them even to check. I will wait until I see some sign of a leak. Given they are never removed, I rather hope that will be a long while coming.

X

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• 1nkulus

• SpecTP

• TSherbs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought a couple of the waterman converters from ebay on the left.. for $15/each. I bought some of the schmidt k5 from the pen show for $5/each.. both seem to fit in my Carene, Laureate and Le Man 200 without issue

post-130775-0-78121100-1559024030_thumb.jpg

I bought a couple of the waterman converters from ebay on the left.. for $15/each. I bought some of the schmidt k5 from the pen show for $5/each.. both seem to fit in my Carene, Laureate and Le Man 200 without issue.

I too replaced mine last year with a K5 and have one spare. No issues, yet.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

If that is a Waterman converter, a note to viewers...DONT buy one from the site because they have been out of production for years. You will probably get one of the above.

I can't speak of the situation at one Italian shop, but my own experience shows that it is worth asking the seller whether the photograph with the metal collar depicts what is currently in stock.

Sometimes it will be. In 2017 I bought a metal-collared converter, yes, long discontinued by Waterman, from a Japanese seller who still advertises them on eBay. Do ask first, but do not give up hope in advance.

PS: A serious B & M pen shop that sells current-production Watermans is indeed not very likely to have long-discontinued converters, or pens for that matter, although anything is possible. Where hope lies is with smaller hobbyist sellers, who don't have customers walking in to buy the latest, but may acquire old stock pens or converters.

Edited by Jerome Tarshis

So, the old metal banded converter is the one to have? One of those leaked in my black Carene last week. Pulled it out.

Easy come, easy go.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

So, the old metal banded converter is the one to have? One of those leaked in my black Carene last week. Pulled it out.

Easy come, easy go.

seems so.. the all plastic converters have all died off in my collection.

My complaint to Waterman had a result. CS have forwarded my pics to design and I have been offered a replacement converter 😂

My complaint to Waterman had a result. CS have forwarded my pics to design and I have been offered a replacement converter

An excellent outcome. thumbup.gif

Maybe, I should do the same with two of mine.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I wonder if they're consent to replace the 5 converters that I have gone thru..

For what it's worth... I had several Waterman converters that I had bougth for my MB Noblesse pens (since the old MB converter -non-screw type- is no longer available). They are all of the metal band type and I haven't had any issue yet.

But what is interesting, and the reason I write this, is that when I got the Waterman Graduate Oryx Satinée, and since I didn't want to wait until I could pay a visit to a Waterman boutique downtown, I tried with an 'el cheapo' Jinhao converter and found that it did fit. Not too tight, but enough to work.

The cheap converter was acquired as "5pcs Jinhao Copper Fountain Pen Advanced Ink Converters" for 2.31 USD (that is, 5 converters for ~2$) two years ago. It's still available at the same price (just checked). No metal ring close to the mouth, but for the price, it may be worth a try.

I just tried another converter (the standard one that came with a Jinhao 450) and it also fits, this one even better. So if you have a 450 or 750 around, you may want to try. By the way, this was on a 450 that has been sitting unused for almost three months now... and it has kept the ink just as I left it, with no loss. Amazing pieces these Jinhao 450, must close really tight.

Of course, YMMV and it may not be suitable for your needs.

Edited by txomsy

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

The converter shown in the link is from 1980's. It has a rubber mouth piece.

attachicon.gif DSCN0157.JPG

that is one of the ones that has went belly up on me as well and now luckily I found a general converter that fits and works for my phileas . I guess the careen might be different ? I don't know since I don't own a careen . I have gone through three and I don't relish going through another one so im waiting to see what my best option is . does anyone think contacting waterman would do any good ? if so let me know thanks .

Edited by phonelady61

Cathy :bunny01:

:happyberet:

If you contact Waterman with photographic evidence they will offer a replacement but you will only receive the current all plastic version. As stated above they replied to me with an offer of a free replacement....which I have accepted. The all plastic converters I have were not purchased separately by me, they came attached to pen purchases.

The early versions can be acquired on the great auction site but you will probably have to buy a pen to obtain it. Good deals do arise as I found a few years ago when I purchased these. They were listed with a BIN of £20 together with 10 Waterman deluxe boxes which also contained converters under their cushions. Please don't ask if I will sell any because I have sold most of them.

post-42786-0-56319300-1559711177_thumb.jpg

If you contact Waterman with photographic evidence they will offer a replacement but you will only receive the current all plastic version. As stated above they replied to me with an offer of a free replacement....which I have accepted. The all plastic converters I have were not purchased separately by me, they came attached to pen purchases.

The early versions can be acquired on the great auction site but you will probably have to buy a pen to obtain it. Good deals do arise as I found a few years ago when I purchased these. They were listed with a BIN of £20 together with 10 Waterman deluxe boxes which also contained converters under their cushions. Please don't ask if I will sell any because I have sold most of them.

attachicon.gif DSCN1229.JPG

okay then thanks and I would never ask anyone to sell anything to me … just to clear that up . thanks im outta here . what a friendly bunch in this forum .

Cathy :bunny01:

:happyberet:

If you dab a little shellac in the crack it may well continue to function. Also if you aren’t using your pens, just admiring them, keep the converters well away from the pens. My cf converters all have rubber necks so no cracks yet.