Before You Send Your Pen For Repair Or Nib Work.....

Ron Z

On behalf of all of the pen mechanics and nib techs of the world. Before you send a pen in for repair or nib work...

Please, clean out the pen.

With all of the jostling and bumping around in transit, ink gets knocked out of the feed and creates a delightful mess that gets all over everything. Especially red ink and the dye saturated inks. No, having the pen "pre-loaded" does not make it easier for us.

Thank you.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• silverlifter

• sidthecat

• surprise123

One would have thought this a simple, common courtesy. Like washing your pants before taking them to the tailor...

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

• 2 months later...

Good advice. I'm trying to get the ink out of a Wahl-Eversharp ringtop and it's got an AMAZING quantity of blue ink in the nib and feed.

I can't think of a good reason to ink up a pen during shipping... especially when someone will have to clean it out to work on it anyways.

I can't think of a good reason to ink up a pen during shipping... especially when someone will have to clean it out to work on it anyways.

You'd think so, but we receive pens that are full of ink quite often.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

The same request for the return journey please, I regularly receive repaired pens through the mail, with caps full of ink. I am always concerned that this leaked ink will come through any packaging onto my cream carpet under the letter flap.

Edited by Beechwood

The only pens I don't flush out before getting them repaired are Sheaffer Snorkels -- but that's because I don't want to test them beforehand, in case there's a problem with a bad sac (thus causing damage to the spring). But I'm generally also not sending pens away for repairs -- I'm having the work done at pen shows, where I can interact with the repair folks face to face.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The same request for the return journey please, I regularly receive repaired pens through the mail, with caps full of ink. I am always concerned that this leaked ink will come through any packaging onto my cream carpet uder the letter flap.

I spin them in a centrifuge after testing and flushing. I don't think that will be a problem. :thumbup:

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

Ron, you are a good and patient man. Thanks for your service to this wonderful obsession and your putting up with our many eccentricities.

I am amazed that somebody would send a pen with ink in it. It's like a mini-ink bomb that WILL explode in transit.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

Ron, you are a good and patient man. Thanks for your service to this wonderful obsession and your putting up with our many eccentricities.

I am amazed that somebody would send a pen with ink in it. It's like a mini-ink bomb that WILL explode in transit.

Erick

Not everyone thinks like this:

I had a "not as desribed" case opened against me on ebay some years back, because the Parker 51 I said was in working order did not work on arrival.... The buyer commented "having paid £60 for the pen, I should not have to buy a bottle of ink also"!

Ebay, ever willing to follow the "customer is always right" mantra, found in the buyers favour.

I just decided that the homour of the issue was worth the cost and hassle I suffered.

"having paid £60 for the pen, I should not have to buy a bottle of ink also"!

Only proving the adage that Hell really is other people.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

I had a "not as desribed" case opened against me on ebay some years back, because the Parker 51 I said was in working order did not work on arrival.... The buyer commented "having paid £60 for the pen, I should not have to buy a bottle of ink also"!

Note to self: If I ever list a pen on ebay, include note that says "Ink is not included with the pen."

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

Not everyone thinks like this:

Ebay, ever willing to follow the "customer is always right" mantra, found in the buyers favour.

I just decided that the homour of the issue was worth the cost and hassle I suffered.

------------------------------------

Ye gods!!! So, if I had sold this person an oil filter, they would have complained that I had not included the oil? (Or maybe, the car????)

-First, you had to suffer the twit making the argument.

-THEN, you had to have it all underlined and officially shoved down your throat?

It's difficult to know which must have been harder to take! This is a keeper for any collection of eBay stories. As usual, only the unbelievable ones are true.

Brian