Marine Painting With Randall Blue/black

NickiStew

nick-stewart-randall-blue-black.jpg

As a keen sailor, there's nothing quite like getting stuck into a marine painting. I knew when Randall Blue Black was created that it would be a very good writing ink, but what I didn't appreciate at that time, was how special it is for marine painting too.

nick-stewart-randall-blue-black-04.jpg

My scenes from the East Coast of England were chosen to demonstrate the very subtle chromatography, the inherent serendipity and the depth of tonal range that Randall can offer. I used Bockingford 200lb rough watercolour paper as the surface with 4 synthetic brushes of various sizes for all the wash work and my Kaweco Steel Sport with an extra fine gold nib for the very dark detailed line work. For some of the highlight areas I have used diluted bleach and am delighted that those areas bleached out really clean AND... I have been able to go back in again and work over the top!

nick-stewart-randall-blue-black-05.jpg

nick-stewart-randall-blue-black-03.jpg

From a purist point of view, I'm particularly pleased, because for some years now, I have been trying to find a natural and seamless progression for fountain pen inks to not just be used for handwriting but also as a credible painting and illustration medium too. To be able to emulate those far eastern art traditions where writing and imagery become a single harmonious art form - bonded together by the single medium. In a way, I'm taking the traditional India ink line and wash genre, which has been used in journal keeping for centuries, but instead of keeping it monochrome or using watercolour paints to add colour, I'm attempting to revolutionise the genre through utilising the serendipity and chromatic behaviours of coloured fountain pen inks which also keeps the genre pure. There's still a way to go but I'm now confident that the goal is achievable.

Edited by NickiStew

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NickiStew

• Carrau

• Sigrid

• txomsy

These are stunning ! The way you captured the marine mood and the light is breathtaking,

These are stunning ! The way you captured the marine mood and the light is breathtaking,

The background atmospheres of sea and sky are really down to the chromatic and serendipity behaviours of the ink. And this is the whole point of my project, because there isn't any other medium that can do this.

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

Lovely work-your composition has some of the same austerity/solitude of Winslow Homer in his seascapes.

Lovely work-your composition has some of the same austerity/solitude of Winslow Homer in his seascapes.

I love Winslows work! He lived on the East Coast of England for while. He'd have recognised my scenes!

I love Winslows work! He lived on the East Coast of England for while. He'd have recognised my scenes!

I knew he lived in quite a few places in his life, but didn’t know about the east coast of England. Thanks for that tidbit.

I knew he lived in quite a few places in his life, but didn’t know about the east coast of England. Thanks for that tidbit.

Here's a link to a painting of his I emulated using Robert Oster Signature Inks

https://nickstewart.ink/2016/06/10/robert-oster-test-art/

Edited by NickiStew

You could have a point there!

I’d say that’s pretty good company to be keeping, Homer and Hopper!

Hi Nick! I have been an illustrator for quite some time now. Using mainly dry brush watercolour techniques for the detailed work I do. I have, like you mention already, used India ink before in pen drawings. For making quick studies mostly. Now want to explore the use of coloured ink. Not so much for the botanical illustrations I usually make but more to work free and explore the fun side of ink. Now, to make this long story short (ok, too late for that), I wonder about the lightfastness of the inks. I'm used to watercolours. I normally use the highest lightfastness possible. And, as you probably know it's easy with watercolours because it's simply written on the tube or you know the behaviour of the pigment used. I guess in ink that's different. Is it something you know more about? or is it something you don't care so much about?
Sorry for this longggggg read ;)

Hi Nick! I have been an illustrator for quite some time now. Using mainly dry brush watercolour techniques for the detailed work I do. I have, like you mention already, used India ink before in pen drawings. For making quick studies mostly. Now want to explore the use of coloured ink. Not so much for the botanical illustrations I usually make but more to work free and explore the fun side of ink. Now, to make this long story short (ok, too late for that), I wonder about the lightfastness of the inks. I'm used to watercolours. I normally use the highest lightfastness possible. And, as you probably know it's easy with watercolours because it's simply written on the tube or you know the behaviour of the pigment used. I guess in ink that's different. Is it something you know more about? or is it something you don't care so much about?

Sorry for this longggggg read ;)

Hi Sigrid, the UV degradation of fountain pen inks is well documented but modern day ink manufacturers are on the case. I also spray my artwork with UV protection spray which you would usually use to protect your photographs printed with an inkjet printer. And this works. For me, the chromatography and serendipity inherent within many fountain pen inks, is justification enough for me to continue using them for creating artwork as the effects are so natural and non-contrived. N

Lovely paintings! And I love the color of the ink.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

An aside, but “serendipity” doesn’t quite have the meaning apparently implied in this thread. It usually refers to a fortuitous, accidental discovery, not an inherent quality of anything.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

An aside, but “serendipity” doesn’t quite have the meaning apparently implied in this thread. It usually refers to a fortuitous, accidental discovery, not an inherent quality of anything.

All the backgrounds were out of my control. I applied the ink into the wetted paper but the final dried effects were happy chance outcomes, not controlled outcomes. The word serendipity, in my opinion, certainly counts in the majority of my art work as fountain pen ink when used in art, works best when allowed to 'just do its thing'. Dictionary definition: 'the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way'