Your Experience With Montblanc Pens With Rhodium-Plated Steel Cap/body

como

I am usually not a fan of metal parts on pens, except when it's silver. Recently I find myself tempted to purchase the Montblanc Le Petit Prince 145 Doué model, which has a resin body and a rhodium-plated cap. I really wish that it were a 146 with silver cap but it is what it is and still really attractive, and c/c does have its advantages. I am wondering, if any, how is your experience with Montblanc pens with non-silver metal cap or body, especially with rhodium-plated steel. Do they hold up well over time? Is there any flaking, pitting, etc? Much appreciate any input.

Regards,

como

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• como

• 1nkulus

• fpupulin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not that I am aware of or have experienced, yet. BTW, I too prefer ST/RT over GT.

The more experienced members would be able to offer further insight.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Not that I am aware of or have experienced, yet. BTW, I too prefer ST/RT over GT.

The more experienced members would be able to offer further insight.

Thank you, 1nkulus. I went to the shop and had a look at the Le Petit Doué in brown again, quite nice. Parts of the cap is brushed steel look and parts glossy/shining finish. Parker 51 steel cap never has any problems, but it's not rhodium-plated. So I will wait and do a bit more research. But the pen is looking awfully good :)

Is the brown barrel piston filler and the blue barrel C/C?

OTOH, I doubt you will have an issue with the finish and even if you do it will probably be well past the warranty.

It is a fairly new model for any issues to surface.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Both brown and blue versions have in 146 and 145 (Classique) size. The brown Doué 145 version (steel cap and resin barrel) is C/C. Both brown and blue all resin versions look more plain than their Doué and Solitaire siblings. The 145 Doué in blue is almost bling bling, very shiny. The 146 Doué Solitaire looks big and feels heavy! So my preference is the brown Doué 145 w c/c, of course its a matter of personal preference. Also I was delighted to discover that the blue 146 broad nib is stubby (they had one in stock).

The 145 is C/C and 146 is piston?

I'd be inclined to go for the blue 146 with the B nib.

Engineer :

The 145 is C/C and 146 is piston?

I'd be inclined to go for the blue 146 with the B nib.

That's right. The blue 146 I tried had a smooth wet stubby broad. I almost bought it just for the nib. They will order a B on the brown 145 Doué to let me try it. If it's smooth, wet and stubby like the blue 146 that I tried, I am buying it. Hope they call me soon :-)

Good choice on the B nib.

I am still inclined towards the blue, 146, piston, B nib. All the right ingredients IMO.

BTW, brown isn't exactly my colour of choice hence my strong bias towards the blue which, in this case, is rather delightful.

Engineer :

Good choice on the B nib.

I am still inclined towards the blue, 146, piston, B nib. All the right ingredients IMO.

BTW, brown isn't exactly my colour of choice hence my strong bias towards the blue which, in this case, is rather delightful.

I understand. For me it's a close call. Ideally I would want a brown 146 Doué with silver cap, not steel. I do prefer the 146 model in general, nib of the prince and fox on blue, and for me the quote on blue is more special to me personally. But I like the details of the steel cap on brown (desert, planet and plane). As I don't have a Montblanc with a c/c yet, I thought it would be fun to finally have one so I can try all kinds of ink without too much hassle of cleaning. But I keep thinking about that B on the blue one... Oh pen dilemma again! I will decide when I go back again, hopefully I don't end up buying both.

Buying both would be the simplest solution but probably overkill as they are rather similar.

I get the advantage of the C/C and use it for ink testing myself and later use it in the piston filler.

IMO, the weight/balance of the 146 with the juicy B nib sets the right tone. The same reason I use M800/1000 instead of 600.

After all, MB is a statement pen not an ink testing one.

Best of luck deciding in store. thumbup.gif

Engineer :

Thank you, 1nkulus. It's always great to hear a second opinion, a different perspective. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Buying both would be the simplest solution but probably overkill as they are rather similar.

I get the advantage of the C/C and use it for ink testing myself and later use it in the piston filler.

Best of luck deciding in store. thumbup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

So I went back to the store and tried both pens again, and decided on the blue 146 all resin version. The things that made me change my mind:

1. The superb wet, smooth and stubby B nib on this particular blue 146 version;

2. Nib design of the prince and the fox is more attractive to me than the sheep, of course a personal preference;

3. The section on 145 (Classique) is a bit too thin for me for longer writing sessions;

4. I didn't want to gamble on a B nib for the brown 145 Doué steel cap / resin barrel version. Chances that it will be as good as the B nib on the blue version I tried is not super high;

5. I am still uncertain what a rhodium plated steel cap would look like in the long run.

Also for the decision making, I re-read the book and decided that the significance of the fox and meaning of friendship and personal relationships is more important to me than the Doué 145 version depicting the scenes of the desert and the sheep etc. I do still think that the aesthetics of the 145 Doué is excellent, but in the end, the 146 blue resin version's nib, the writing experience and personal meaning to me won out. Here are the photos of what I did and did not buy.

1nkulus, thank you very much for your input. I much appreciate.

post-145678-0-36763000-1559907753_thumb.jpg

post-145678-0-86099300-1559907771_thumb.jpg

post-145678-0-32760500-1559907784_thumb.jpg

So I went back to the store and tried both pens again, and decided on the blue 146 all resin version. The things that made me change my mind:

1. The superb wet, smooth and stubby B nib on this particular blue 146 version;

2. Nib design of the prince and the fox is more attractive to me than the sheep, of course a personal preference;

3. The section on 145 (Classique) is a bit too thin for me for longer writing sessions;

4. I didn't want to gamble on a B nib for the brown 145 Doué steel cap / resin barrel version. Chances that it will be as good as the B nib on the blue version I tried is not super high;

5. I am still uncertain what a rhodium plated steel cap would look like in the long run.

Also for the decision making, I re-read the book and decided that the significance of the fox and meaning of friendship and personal relationships is more important to me than the Doué 145 version depicting the scenes of the desert and the sheep etc. I do still think that the aesthetics of the 145 Doué is excellent, but in the end, the 146 blue resin version's nib, the writing experience and personal meaning to me won out. Here are the photos of what I did and did not buy.

1nkulus, thank you very much for your input. I much appreciate.

In my opinion, you made the right choice! The 146 is such a splendid and almost perfect pen!

Considering the unavoidable blingy effect of a doué pen, I would reserve this particular combination for a more "classic" model, like black resin body and pinstripe silver cap. It is a very classy pen, certainly not understated, but not over the top either.

Of the several models released by Montblanc and dedicated to the Little Prince, the pen you choose is to my eyes the better. It is "almost" a typical 146 in a beautiful dark blue, with a special touch in the rhodium plated filler cone and, if you look closer, a lot of subtle and almost "secret" references to the Petit Prince. It is a beautiful pen on its own, with or without the special meaning of the dedication. Really well done!

Thank you, fpupulin. I am very happy about the decision. As I said in another post, I wish this Doué were with a silver cap and 146 model. Then it would have made my decision even harder :-)

Here you see the 146 Le Petit Prince in the new family photo of MBs. Happy Friday!

Regards,

como

In my opinion, you made the right choice! The 146 is such a splendid and almost perfect pen!

Considering the unavoidable blingy effect of a doué pen, I would reserve this particular combination for a more "classic" model, like black resin body and pinstripe silver cap. It is a very classy pen, certainly not understated, but not over the top either.

Of the several models released by Montblanc and dedicated to the Little Prince, the pen you choose is to my eyes the better. It is "almost" a typical 146 in a beautiful dark blue, with a special touch in the rhodium plated filler cone and, if you look closer, a lot of subtle and almost "secret" references to the Petit Prince. It is a beautiful pen on its own, with or without the special meaning of the dedication. Really well done!

post-145678-0-81220300-1559915830_thumb.jpg