Waterman Carène

Redpanda

I was only saying yesterday...Sea Garden, medium nib, only 1 cartridge used, boxed with 2 (proper) converters, £80 is a no brainer.

Where did you find this? On Ebay? :o :D

round-letter-exc.png round-postcard-exc.png

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Redpanda

• PaulS

• Glenn-SC

• 1nkulus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes. I paid more than the seller was asking because it's a charity company. Then, they get some funds for good cause and I am not threading anyone when I sell on...after servicing that is.

I am partial to only three Carene models; Charcoal Grey, Gunmetal and Silver Wave preferably with a stub or fine nib.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

for their size, the Carene is a heavier than usual pen, but heft is no bad thing, at least it feels solid - lacquer over brass apparently, and there's no doubting the attractiveness of finishes such as Amber Marine and other non-black liveries. This is an executive pen that catches the eye with its beauty and appeal - which is why people buy the thing. In other respects though it's probably no more useful/reliable than many other modern pens that lack the Carene's 'magnetism' - and though I could be wrong, it's likely the Sheaffer style of inlaid nib is a firm point whatever the gauge.

Hopefully, this will add to the weight of considered opinion in our effort to dissuade the op from buying, which was the original purpose of this thread. :)

F.ps. should never be posted - take a look at the damage done to the rear ends of barrels over the past one hundred years - what do you see?

barrels marred where the constriction caused by the cap has indented a groove around the barrel - areas showing matt where scratches from caps have marked the barrel.

Then there are the cap lip splits - dropped caps where the cap has failed to post and fallen. Lay the cap down - it shouldn't ordinarily roll assuming it has a clip - if it lacks a clip the put the thing in a pocket.

Apologies this last gripe is off-topic. :)

Don't beat me no more. I tend to the opposite view.

I have always posted my pens that can post with care to not mar the pen. So far it works, even with Pelikan. Your opinions on posting are good for you, but not for me. This matter of posting caps is often discussed here, and sometimes with some heat. I don't usually react to these statements, but this is pretty didactic.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

please don't take my comments too seriously - to some extent I was being a tad contentious for the sake of generating a little discussion, knowing full well there is much polarization on this very topic. I have much respect for your input to FPN, and hope you will forgive the teasing :)

I'm a collector and in common with others of my ilk, I see so many pens where posting has caused the tell-tale signs at the end of the barrel - in fact 99% of the reason I don't post is because I don't write so don't have a need to shove the cap on the end of the barrel.

Each to his own - though I might wish that the pre-WW II owners of the pens I now cherish hadn't stuck one bit on top of the other :)

My carene fp's take weeks to dry up and write perfectly. it just comes down to financial decisions and your preferences.
My three carene fp's are inked almost all of the time.

Edited by thx1138

please don't take my comments too seriously - to some extent I was being a tad contentious for the sake of generating a little discussion, knowing full well there is much polarization on this very topic. I have much respect for your input to FPN, and hope you will forgive the teasing :)

I'm a collector and in common with others of my ilk, I see so many pens where posting has caused the tell-tale signs at the end of the barrel - in fact 99% of the reason I don't post is because I don't write so don't have a need to shove the cap on the end of the barrel.

Each to his own - though I might wish that the pre-WW II owners of the pens I now cherish hadn't stuck one bit on top of the other :)

Sorry, I must have taken that the wrong way.

I was stupefied that the black Carene would post. The others don't and I am not jamming them on. I don't use Carenes much. They write exquisitely, but I prefer light pens, like mid-century resin ones.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I had been posting my orange carene for a long time. much to my chagrin, it has a circular mark on the barrel from it. so even though it can be posted, I choose not to do so any more.

I had been posting my orange carene for a long time. much to my chagrin, it has a circular mark on the barrel from it. so even though it can be posted, I choose not to do so any more.

An unfortunate side effect that befalls almost all FP's subjected to posting.

BTW, welcome to the 'post refrained' pen users. biggrin.png

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

It takes great care to avoid incurring "posting ring" on some pens. Pelikans are another type of pen where this can happen. This is why many don't post caps. I should be glad two out of my three Carenes won't post.

perhaps all f.ps. should come with a health warning - 'Posting is hazardous to their well being'. :D

perhaps all f.ps. should come with a health warning - 'Posting is hazardous to their well being'. biggrin.png

Corrected disclaimer;

"Posting is injurious to the well being of the barrel and repeated use can cause irreversible marring". smile.png

Engineer :

There is nothing wrong with wanting a Carene, especially in this company!

I am lucky enough to own several (yes, more than I need) but of all of them I consider the Marine Amber the most beautiful and if I could keep only one it would be the MA.

If you are in the position to do so without causing deprivation to yourself or others, indulge yourself once in a while. We all need a bit of fun in our lives. Good luck with hunting for a bargain - with patience you will find it. And enjoy your pen when you do.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

There is a major problem with Carene's which no one here is owning up to.

Once you have one, you develop an overpowering desire to have more.

Be warned.

Best finishes in my opinion are Marine Amber, Sea Green and a gold finish I cant remember the name of.

I wish they would do a blue finish, variegated or mottled in a similar fashion to the marine-amber.

I bought a red Carene, hoping it would be a nice bright, bold red. Instead it's slightly dull and pinkish. Still a good pen.

That is a menace across the board and the main reason for the existence of this forum. laugh.png

To share and enable yet more acquisitions...

Engineer :

I would disagree on this point.

I have one but desire no more.

I also maintain that our desires are irrelevant.

The OP's desires are the only one's that count in this case.

my desires are never irrelevant - my passions are what keep me on the boil - life would be a drag without them :)

quote .......................... "The OP's desires are the only one's that count in this case." …………….. the point is that we're supposed to be suppressing them - not encouraging a student in penury to spend what they don't have.

this thread has lost its way - but I suppose that's the fate of most threads. :unsure: