Waterman Carène

Redpanda

these homilies/wise saws are all good and fine, but for most of us human nature gets in the way. Who here hasn't succumbed to their heart-felt passion and paid too many dollars - who hasn't at some time or another paid high end money for something that in the cold light of day they would admit to not needing. We're all entitled to make mistakes - it's the way of the world and it's mostly how we learn, and no doubt the op will at some time do precisely the same no matter how much wisdom we try to impart.

However, we're still trying to dissuade this guy from buying a high end pen they don't need - don't let's give in now and send him to Carey Street before he can earn a dollar or two.:-)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Redpanda

• PaulS

• Glenn-SC

• 1nkulus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Patience and much trolling is required but it does pay divi's.

Just last week this mint con MA with Stub was acquired for £60. It's a no brainer for anyone to buy and try at this price.

Considering the box has a value of £5 and the period converter £5, things get better.

Sections alone are £78 online

post-42786-0-27120300-1558719769_thumb.jpg

these homilies/wise saws are all good and fine, but for most of us human nature gets in the way. Who here hasn't succumbed to their heart-felt passion and paid too many dollars - who hasn't at some time or another paid high end money for something that in the cold light of day they would admit to not needing. We're all entitled to make mistakes - it's the way of the world and it's mostly how we learn, and no doubt the op will at some time do precisely the same no matter how much wisdom we try to impart.

However, we're still trying to dissuade this guy from buying a high end pen they don't need - don't let's give in now and send him to Carey Street before he can earn a dollar or two.:-)

This is exactly the problem in life, you never if something is wrong or right till you have done it. And thank you for the faith in me to make my own mistakes where would we be without experiences :lol: What is right for one might not be right for another. I know I don't need it and I have moments of clarity and moments of irrationality.

I must however challenge you on one thing- the fact that I am fully female and not a "guy" :lticaptd:

round-letter-exc.png round-postcard-exc.png

my sincere apologies - I did hesitate when doing the gender bit and opted for 'they', but by then I'd sunk myself with guy. :blush: But, don't the modern generation go for guy to infer both sorts - trying to dig myself out of a hole here :D

Edited by PaulS

my sincere apologies - I did hesitate when doing the gender bit and opted for 'they', but by then I'd sunk myself with guy. :blush: But, don't the modern generation go for guy to infer both sorts - trying to dig myself out of a hole here :D

It is quite alright, I just could not resist the urge :D

Most people call me a middle aged man anyway (not by appearance) :lticaptd:

these homilies/wise saws are all good and fine, but for most of us human nature gets in the way. Who here hasn't succumbed to their heart-felt passion and paid too many dollars - who hasn't at some time or another paid high end money for something that in the cold light of day they would admit to not needing.

I've made other mistakes in life, but not this one.

I spend very, very little money on material things. I wear my sons' clothing as hand me downs because they are bigger than I am. I haven't paid for a haircut in 30 years (wife does this at home). I have the same bike that I bought in 1984. Etc.

When in doubt, I say save your $ for when you have no doubt.

Edited by TSherbs

Here's a rare issue where I am on EVERY side.

I bought my first Carene way back in the Beforetime, because I thought a significant pen would make me a significant person. Wrong reason, but I liked their looks so much I ended up with one of just about every nib size.

They write beautifully. They don't post all that well. They seem heavy to me. This is a monster feed, often requiring a full converter just to get primed. The nib will often seep ink around its 'horns.'

I still use them. But I'm far more likely to grab, and happily write with, my Safaris and Mets and Jinhao Sharks (TWSBI, not so much...). And I have a Parker 51.

I'm also sorta kinda with T Sherbs on the economy scale.

It all comes down to YOU. What your personality is. What you like.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

"All you need is a Bic Stic and a No. 2 pencil."

"You're a student, you don't deserve to have quality things yet."

+1

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

When in doubt, I say save your $ for when you have no doubt.

+1

Buying stuff to try it out, is an expensive hobby.

You can venture down that rabbit hole when you can afford a high level of discretionary spending.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

This thread has become philosophical.

Carene is a good pen. If you like it, just get it on ebay. The RRP is a bit high but eBay is another matter - f.e. recently one was sold in Germany fo 26 EUR. Indeed buying 2nd hand on ebay is not the same as from a store, but there are tons of mint/near mint pens there and Carene is anything but a rare model, so there will be no problem getting it.

Edited by aurore

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

"Drink only water, eat only bread."

"Work to make money that you won't spend because you are saving it for either the day you don't have any or the day you are dead. Maybe both."

Did someone not say "buy the best that you can afford."

I'm also sorta kinda with T Sherbs on the economy scale...

Let me add, I think that the Carene is a kick-ass beautiful thang, and I will likely own one... One day. But I am nearing retirement and have been saving my pennies.

I suppose that I will wait patiently on ebay to see if something pops up :wub:

I have been going through a very tough time lately and growing up we stuggled a lot financially. This has made very financially aware and made me save up every penny I got for birthdays ect. (before everything I owned got stolen a few years ago... twice). I am used to denying myself things and helping other people out financially instead. Buying a very beautiful but expensive pen will not solve any problems or fill out gaps caused by other things. One day it will be mine though :lol:

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread and everyones imputs so thank you very much :D

Edit: missing words

Edited by Redpanda

Thank you for your opinion! May I ask your reason for giving it a pass. Does it have to do with the pen model specifically?

The Amber Marine was the color that made me want the Carene. I liked the pen, but I found it dried out by next day, like so many other pens. I also found it impossible to post the cap on it, and I didn't want to force it. Out of the three other Carenes I have had, black, blue and Sea Garden (green shimmer color), only the black GT pen would post the cap. These pens are also heavier than what I usually like. I would wait a bit and see if something else catches your eye.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

for their size, the Carene is a heavier than usual pen, but heft is no bad thing, at least it feels solid - lacquer over brass apparently, and there's no doubting the attractiveness of finishes such as Amber Marine and other non-black liveries. This is an executive pen that catches the eye with its beauty and appeal - which is why people buy the thing. In other respects though it's probably no more useful/reliable than many other modern pens that lack the Carene's 'magnetism' - and though I could be wrong, it's likely the Sheaffer style of inlaid nib is a firm point whatever the gauge.

Hopefully, this will add to the weight of considered opinion in our effort to dissuade the op from buying, which was the original purpose of this thread. :)

F.ps. should never be posted - take a look at the damage done to the rear ends of barrels over the past one hundred years - what do you see?

barrels marred where the constriction caused by the cap has indented a groove around the barrel - areas showing matt where scratches from caps have marked the barrel.

Then there are the cap lip splits - dropped caps where the cap has failed to post and fallen. Lay the cap down - it shouldn't ordinarily roll assuming it has a clip - if it lacks a clip the put the thing in a pocket.

Apologies this last gripe is off-topic. :)

I don't think it's a gripe to say Fpn's should not be posted. Waterman pens that are designed to post have a rear latching ring...IMHO. Pens designed with such sleek lines (without a rear latch) as the Carene should be consider as non posting. Again, IMHO, they are too rear heavy when done so. A few months ago I put up a fix for the Carene which got little attention. A simple paper taper tube which could be cut and made in a minute or so and kept on ones desk to slide on the rear for secure posting when needed. It allowed the user to give a solid push of the cap onto the barrel without fear of damage. Patent pending :D

post-42786-0-25496800-1558860060_thumb.jpg

F.ps. should never be posted - take a look at the damage done to the rear ends of barrels over the past one hundred years - what do you see?

barrels marred where the constriction caused by the cap has indented a groove around the barrel - areas showing matt where scratches from caps have marked the barrel.

Then there are the cap lip splits - dropped caps where the cap has failed to post and fallen. Lay the cap down - it shouldn't ordinarily roll assuming it has a clip - if it lacks a clip the put the thing in a pocket.

Apologies this last gripe is off-topic. :)

+1

I NEVER post pens for this very reason.. I have pens with gold filled barrels that were worn down to the brass base by this action.

And, yes, some pens were/are specifically designed to "post", The worst are those with threads on the end of the barrel that are actually designed to have the users screw the cap onto the end to post! What's uglier than that? That is the antithesis of the Carene design principle.

I never buy pens that require posting to be usable or that I would need to post to make them usable.

[Corrected spelling!]

Edited by Glenn-SC

I was only saying yesterday...Sea Garden, medium nib, only 1 cartridge used, boxed with 2 (proper) converters, £80 is a no brainer.

post-42786-0-62208600-1558864178_thumb.jpg

I was only saying yesterday...Sea Garden, medium nib, only 1 cartridge used, boxed with 2 (proper) converters, £80 is a no brainer.

Ha!

I never by pens that require posting to be usable or that I would need to post to make them usable.

+1

Engineer :