Waterman Carène

Redpanda

Hello,

I am a student and I have recently fallen for the Waterman Carène in amber. The trouble is that being a student finances can be a problem. I can afford the pen but then that is the only pen I can buy for a long while. Also I am not sure that spending that much on a pen is a smart idea. I currently have mostly Lamy Safaris, TWSBIs and Chinese pens. Are there any reasons why pulling the trigger on this pen might be not so favourable compared to the cost? Is it that much better than a steel nib on the cheaper pens?

Money aside I am very much in awe of the design and I have writing sessions of 3hours+ on week days due to my school by which I can justify my purchase :D

In other words.... Someone talk me out of this :ninja: :gaah:

Thank you kindly in advance :D

round-letter-exc.png round-postcard-exc.png

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Redpanda

• PaulS

• Glenn-SC

• 1nkulus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sure ............... based on your personal data - that you are a writer and not a collector - then all these things considered it's right and proper to tell you not to buy this pen - eyes bigger than your wallet, and anyway you need the yacht before you buy this one. period full stop

incidentally, what is the cost of this Carene? :)

sure ............... based on your personal data - that you are a writer and not a collector - then all these things considered it's right and proper to tell you not to buy this pen - eyes bigger than your wallet, and anyway you need the yacht before you buy this one. period full stop

incidentally, what is the cost of this Carene? :)

That genuinely made me laugh :lticaptd: Thank you for a valid point, I do not own a yacht!

The pen is currently listed as £120 :wub:

Edited by Redpanda

seriouosly, give it a miss - the pen is eye candy and they aren't that rare, and when you start to earn a salary you can buy it then.

seriouosly, give it a miss - the pen is eye candy and they aren't that rare, and when you start to earn a salary you can buy it then.

Oh but it pains me how right you are! I am a very rational person but sometimes we just want to ignore rationality.

Are there any pens in that price range (or less) that are worth that money or is it only the privilege of being in the cool kids club that you pay for?

We all have our own journey. For me, I prefer to buy fewer, higher quality and more desirable (to me) pens. I prefer fewer, better tools to do the job so I say buy it, focus on enjoying it for several years and stop buying handfuls of cheap pens. But if you are honest with yourself and this is the first step down a slippery slope, best to stay away until the "buy all the pens" phase is an affordable hobby.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

We all have our own journey. For me, I prefer to buy fewer, higher quality and more desirable (to me) pens. I prefer fewer, better tools to do the job so I say buy it, focus on enjoying it for several years and stop buying handfuls of cheap pens. But if you are honest with yourself and this is the first step down a slippery slope, best to stay away until the "buy all the pens" phase is an affordable hobby.

I do agree with you! I never thought a year ago that I would ever consider spending this much money on a pen! Recently I have felt that I just really want a few really good pens and but it is hard to figure out what a really good pen is when you have no means of testing it in a shop. I was looking at the Lamy 2000 as well but the design it a bit modern for my taste. It is an expensive hobby once you get a taste for the finer pens :)

I have the Carene in Amber Marine, shimmer color. give it a pass for now.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have the Carene in Amber Marine, shimmer color. give it a pass for now.

Thank you for your opinion! May I ask your reason for giving it a pass. Does it have to do with the pen model specifically?

I have one in black - my friend Deborah Gibson, in Scotland, also has one in Amber Marine, and have to say that is far more attractive than black.

Not wishing to rub the salt in, but for those who may not have seen the model, here are a couple of pix. pajaro is right, give it a miss for now, you're young and you've plenty of time yet to buy high end pens

post-125342-0-20383400-1558627882_thumb.jpg

post-125342-0-83433300-1558627896_thumb.jpg

The Carène has been on my wishlist for some time now, basically haven't got it because I've stumbled on other desirable pens at lower prices in the meantime. I would save, try it in person, get to know its quirks (most pens have a quirk of some sort) make sure about the nib size and go for it. Because I care a lot about pairing inks with the right pen, that's my main obstacle: will it come out too dark, too light?

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Force is right; you can find Carene secondhand as reasonable bargains. I found two at EUR 10 each in a village sale a few years ago!

It's a nice pen, but it's also one that has been sold in quite large numbers, so your chances of picking up a used one are quite good. And the nibs are really lovely - at least the ones I've used.

Besides, if you get a slightly, shall we say, "faded" pen, you're not just saving money, but you're also giving yourself a relatively pressure-free way of finding out whether it's a pen you really love.

So while I agree with the first couple of posters who say whoa, students have financial priorities and this pen is not such a priority, I would suggest you might manage to square the circle by lying in wait on ebay for a while.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

As said above you can get it on eBay (gently used) a lot cheaper than 120 quid, with a bit of luck even for 40.

So, no, do not pay 120. And, yes, buy it (if you like it), but 2nd hand.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

I was going to buy one several years ago, but I read some subpar reviews and that changed my mind

Allan

"All you need is a Bic Stic and a No. 2 pencil."

"You're a student, you don't deserve to have quality things yet."

If you intend to keep something more than 5 years then buy the best that you can afford.

I would suggest finding one to try first to see if the pen fits your hand and writing style first.

See if you like the weight, length and/or diameter.

Does the balance work for you?

If you love and it works for you, search for the best price you can find and get it.

You need one pen, and not four or five economy pens. Get a good one, make sure its balance fits your hand, have it tuned the way you want: dry or wet or in-between, ultra smooth or some feedback. Use it for the next ten years.

The Carene is a good choice, if you like the size, weight, and balance. In the US, the pen-shop price is about $250. I have a black with gold trim. It's the only pen other than a Parker 51 that I use.

Price? In anything much above $250 you are paying extra for gold bling. For jewelry. The Carene is meant to work for its living.

(Incidentally, the P-51 lasts forever...unless you hit it with a hammer. Released about 1941, it was "the world's most-wanted pen". Millions were sold, and are in use and up for sale)

Life is too short to accumulate Safaris or Metropolitans or TWSBIs or other low-cost pens that you will stick in the back of a drawer.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

If you intend to keep something more than 5 years then buy the best that you can afford.

I would suggest finding one to try first to see if the pen fits your hand and writing style first.

If you love and it works for you, search for the best price you can find and get it.

Good grief, Glenn! I had not read your post, but said almost the same thing!

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Force is right; you can find Carene secondhand as reasonable bargains. I found two at EUR 10 each in a village sale a few years ago!

It's a nice pen, but it's also one that has been sold in quite large numbers, so your chances of picking up a used one are quite good. And the nibs are really lovely - at least the ones I've used.

Besides, if you get a slightly, shall we say, "faded" pen, you're not just saving money, but you're also giving yourself a relatively pressure-free way of finding out whether it's a pen you really love.

So while I agree with the first couple of posters who say whoa, students have financial priorities and this pen is not such a priority, I would suggest you might manage to square the circle by lying in wait on ebay for a while.

I have been looking around a bit the thing is that I have never bought a pen from ebay, I have always been worried about getting one that writes but not properly(i.e. it is in fullw orking condition but has been a dud on the production line). Shipping is usually quite expensive to my country but if I can really find it for less than half price one day then that would be worth the wait! :D

I love this post, it is exactly what my heart says! B) The problem is that I can't try it out first as there is no market for fountain pens in my country. If you have to buy it here it is online and it is close to £300. My partner thinks I should buy it because of my peers are spending their money on partying and holidays and I have never been a fan of partying and have never had the opportunity to travel :lol:

You need one pen, and not four or five economy pens. Get a good one, make sure its balance fits your hand, have it tuned the way you want: dry or wet or in-between, ultra smooth or some feedback. Use it for the next ten years.

The Carene is a good choice, if you like the size, weight, and balance. In the US, the pen-shop price is about $250. I have a black with gold trim. It's the only pen other than a Parker 51 that I use.

Price? In anything much above $250 you are paying extra for gold bling. For jewelry. The Carene is meant to work for its living.

(Incidentally, the P-51 lasts forever...unless you hit it with a hammer. Released about 1941, it was "the world's most-wanted pen". Millions were sold, and are in use and up for sale)

Life is too short to accumulate Safaris or Metropolitans or TWSBIs or other low-cost pens that you will stick in the back of a drawer.

Thank you Sir! :D

I used to try to hunt Ebay for a specific parker 51, then someone suggested trying the chines knock off before getting it and it went horribly wrong. The pen would not write and the ink sac broke or just would not fill or be cleaned. Needless to say - I was scared off. I love the story behind the pen. The one I wanted was the olive grey ish colour with a god cap :wub:

I am wondering what attracts you to the 51? If given the choise would you prefer a carene or the parker 51 (if they are at all comparable) and if you have a gold nibbed one or steel?