My Waterman Fountain Pen Review

thefountainpenlover4991

Somehow, my review got deleted from months, and months ago. It was my mini review for my old, old Waterman fountain pen, so I'm re-writing it and making it better.

My Waterman is the first fountain pen I ever got, which was in 2017. It took me a while to master the technique of writing with a fountain pen, but I got it done eventually. It was also a challenge to get ink and ink sacs for it. Here's my thoughts below:

-Performance: For an old pen from the 1970's (or 1980's) it writes amazingly. I have had no issues with it stopping or skipping. It barely runs out of ink for me everytime I put in new ink. Amazing writer in my opinion.

-Looks: This pen is dark dark blue or black, and it has gold bands on it which I like and enjoy. Not much else to say, except it's a skinny width pen.

-Grip: For me, it's not difficult to hold it. I have no issues holding any fountain pen to be honest.

Final thoughts: It's a great classic pen. I paid $30 for it from Ebay. Picture of it below:

post-148224-0-31375600-1558572218.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• thefountainpenlover4991

• sansenri

• darazs

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi - this looks very much like a Man100 or Man200 (i am not able to make the difference from this picture, others might be), which puzzles me as you mention sac - those are cartridges or converter pens.

The Man 100 was introduced in 1983 for the 100th anniversary of Waterman. Not sure when the 200 started selling. For the 100 in black, you can get a better idea of the production year from the nib (there are three types, the introduction dates can be found somewhere).

If i got it right, those are excellent pens indeed, good catch!

darazs, I googled what your theory states of what the Waterman pen could be and it says that the 100 and 200 are "new'' pens, the one I have is a vintage 1970's or 1980's, there's no way to know for sure, but I know the picture I added is the same pen I have. As for the fact it takes cartridge, I am sorry for the error stating it takes sacs. But I am happy for your input anyway. Cheers!

Firstly..Welcome..Jonathan from Savannah, GA..

When I Googled your photograph..{Scroll down to waterman pens france}..led me to a place I'd rather

not be...Waterman,January 30,2019 by Steven Walker

@ fbrgmqbdonnakkg.2waky{dot}com/france{dot]html

Everything but pens.....A wee nefarious.....................

Re: Man 100/200 sac / cartridge.....from Feb. 2019

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/343867-my-1960s-or-earlier-waterman-fountain-pen/

When you have the time please explain why a 1980's 'Soviet Russian' pen was made in USA.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/343835-i-am-happy-to-be-new-here/?p=4170519

Did you purchase any FPnibs Ronda pens?

Hope you have learned how to "clean,fix, fill them and write with them?

Which ink are you usin' in your Jinhao Rosewood?

Fred

Redacting for clarity.....at 16:04

Edited by Freddy

Firstly..Welcome..Jonathan from Savannah, GA..

When I Googled your photograph..{Scroll down to waterman pens france}..led me to a place I'd rather

not be...Waterman,January 30,2019 by Steven Walker

@ fbrgmqbdonnakkg.2waky{dot}com/france{dot]html

Everything but pens.....A wee nefarious.....................

Re: Man 100/200 sac / cartridge.....from Feb. 2019

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/343867-my-1960s-or-earlier-waterman-fountain-pen/

When you have the time please explain why a 1980's 'Soviet Russian' pen was made in USA.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/343835-i-am-happy-to-be-new-here/?p=4170519

Did you purchase any FPnibs Ronda pens?

Hope you have learned how to "clean,fix, fill them and write with them?

Which ink are you usin' in your Jinhao Rosewood?

Fred

Redacting for clarity.....at 16:04

Hi Fred. I'm currently trying to find the right sacs, ink, cartridges and converters for my pens before I write with them.

from the only photo you provide, your pen seems to be a Man 200

what I don't understand is why you don't take a photo of your actual pen (everybody has a cell phone which makes photos nowadays...) instead of downloading from internet photos of (what you think is) the same pen (your photo seems to originate in a 2012 thread - or perhaps earlier - from someone in new mexico? )
https://advrider.com/f/threads/any-fine-writing-instrument-collectors-out-here.831301/

the other thing I don't understand is why since your post on FPN in February (3 months ago!) you still have not managed to find a cartridge or converter for your pen (the Waterman Man series was released in 1983, so could well be your pen) an actually write with it...

a modern waterman converter (or cartridge) will fit and work properly.

fpn_1558650807__clipboard05.png

Hi Fred. I'm currently trying to find the right sacs, ink, cartridges and converters for my pens before I write with them.

"Performance: For an old pen from the 1970's (or 1980's) it writes amazingly. I have had no issues with it stopping or skipping. It barely runs out of ink for me everytime I put in new ink. Amazing writer in my opinion."

"

Hi Fred. I'm currently trying to find the right sacs, ink, cartridges and converters for my pens before I write with them."

You wrote above re sentence "Performance:For an old pen from the 1970's (or 1980's) it writes amazingly. I have had no issues with it stopping or skipping. It barely runs out of ink for me everytime I put in new ink. Amazing writer in my opinion."

I understand you have three pens the above Waterman..that perhaps is from '60's. '70's. '80's.......your dating of pen in your posts...

Soviet Russian pen and Jinhao Rosewood....How did you write without carts or converter..and which pen{s} need sacs in order to

function?

Fred

from the only photo you provide, your pen seems to be a Man 200

what I don't understand is why you don't take a photo of your actual pen (everybody has a cell phone which makes photos nowadays...) instead of downloading from internet photos of (what you think is) the same pen (your photo seems to originate in a 2012 thread - or perhaps earlier - from someone in new mexico? )

https://advrider.com/f/threads/any-fine-writing-instrument-collectors-out-here.831301/

the other thing I don't understand is why since your post on FPN in February (3 months ago!) you still have not managed to find a cartridge or converter for your pen (the Waterman Man series was released in 1983, so could well be your pen) an actually write with it...

a modern waterman converter (or cartridge) will fit and work properly.

fpn_1558650807__clipboard05.png

What I don't understand is why do you need an actual picture from me when the pen is the same exact pen I own that I, in consideration, posted. And for the error about trying to get stuff for my pens, that was just a simple error. Forgive me.

I have no issues holding any fountain pen to be honest.

...I paid $30 for it from Ebay.

But you own only three pens, to know the grip of many. :)

Do you have a link to the completed ebay auction? It would be interesting to see. That is a remarkably low price for a Waterman Man 200. They cost over ten times that in some current ads. We may be able to verify that you have made a brilliant purchase, or point out any potential problems from the ad.

darazs, I googled what your theory states of what the Waterman pen could be and it says that the 100 and 200 are "new'' pens, the one I have is a vintage 1970's or 1980's

What I don't understand is why do you need an actual picture from me when the pen is the same exact pen I own

You know the exact pen, produced in the 80s and 90s, yet you comment it may be from the 70s (and in another place, the 60s), and that the Man 200 (which you know exactly it is) is "new"?

Where in about the last twenty years is the Man series described as new? I am curious. If you are getting misinformation we could help and for that, we need some detailed photos of your actual pen, which is why people are asking.

Although I do not plan to obtain a Soviet, Russian, Made in USA, pen for my collection, I am very interested to see what they look like from your photos as well. It could be informative.

X

What I don't understand is why do you need an actual picture from me when the pen is the same exact pen I own that I, in consideration, posted. And for the error about trying to get stuff for my pens, that was just a simple error. Forgive me.

just trying to help you understand if your pen is really really really the one in the picture (sometimes pens look almost identical but then they are not), so that you can buy the right converter or cartridge and at last write with it, 3 months waiting must be unbearable without having the chance to use it (would be for me)

it is fascinating though