The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Identify A 45 Set (?)

parker 45 (?) identif parker identification

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ProfessorB

ProfessorB

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2019 - 20:34

Hi All,

Is this a 45 set? Not great pictures but the section and nib look like a 45, although the cap and barrel are a color I've never seen in the 45.  Maybe a limited, special run of 45's? But there were a gazillion 45's over the years, and for all I know this might be more common than I think.  Li'l help with the i.d. and any information you might have on this set in particular? Does that nib look like it might be 14k? 
Scott

Attached Images

• 45?.jpg
  • identify?.jpg
  • p45?1.jpg

Edited by ProfessorB, 22 May 2019 - 20:52.

Sponsored Content

#2 parkergeo

parkergeo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2019 - 21:25

Thats a 45 Coronet set. Note the gold tail and the extra thick gold barrel ring. A good photo will depict the halo logo on the cap. The colors were pastel-flavored. They look nice, but not for frequent carry or posting because the finish is easily scratched. Considered a premium 45.

#3 joss

joss

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2019 - 21:27

Likely the grey Parker 45 Coronet:

http://parker45pens.com/colours/

#4 ProfessorB

ProfessorB

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2019 - 22:03

Yup, that looks like a gray coronet set, which I didn't know was a thing. This group is great! Thanks.

Scott

#5 parkergeo

parkergeo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:23

The color of some of the Coronets can be a bit difficult to tell from an online photo. Id wager that this one is the sky blue version. The grey version is darker in tone, but sometimes the grey is also hard to differentiate from the olive green version.

This family of pens looks great as a collection with the spectrum of colors arrayed, but some of the colors seem a bit off for a high end metallic finish when you take the pens out and use them individually. A very Pale sky blue? A very muddy olive green? I live in Austin, so at least the orange/rust color makes sense, because it is clearly Texas burnt orange!

#6 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,890 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 17:15

The color of some of the Coronets can be a bit difficult to tell from an online photo. Id wager that this one is the sky blue version. The grey version is darker in tone, but sometimes the grey is also hard to differentiate from the olive green version.

This family of pens looks great as a collection with the spectrum of colors arrayed, but some of the colors seem a bit off for a high end metallic finish when you take the pens out and use them individually. A very Pale sky blue? A very muddy olive green? I live in Austin, so at least the orange/rust color makes sense, because it is clearly Texas burnt orange!

I'd add that there can be quite a bit of variation between examples of the same color.

I believe the production colors were a black, red, brown, greenish, grey, and blue.  I've seen a few pens identified as prototypes in colors that are so far off the norm I tend to agree.  The provenance helps since they were found in Janesville by a collector there.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#7 JotterAddict62

JotterAddict62

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2019 - 21:55

I'd add that there can be quite a bit of variation between examples of the same color.

I believe the production colors were a black, red, brown, greenish, grey, and blue.  I've seen a few pens identified as prototypes in colors that are so far off the norm I tend to agree.  The provenance helps since they were found in Janesville by a collector there.

FarmBoy, I have seen some of those prototype colors. One of the local competition that I have to fight for scrapes keeps picking up the good stuff.

One of these days I will have to catch up with him to see all of his new Parkers he has picked up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker 45 (?) identif, parker, identification

Sponsored Content

|