The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Visconti Identification Needed

visconti vintage identification

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sigrid

Sigrid

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2019 - 15:14

Can somebody help me identify this vintage Visconti fountain pen? Sorry for the bad photo's (didn't make them myself) I don't have it in my possession yet so have to do with these images. On the nib is engraved "Tropen Iridium chrome". This is all the information I have.
Sigrid

visconti.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Sigrid

Sigrid

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2019 - 19:19

This is it closed.
visconti 2.jpg

And the Visconti name on the cap
visconti 3.jpg

#3 nepniatnouf

nepniatnouf

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2019 - 14:14

I can only speculate that this pen was made by Tropen or Senator (Mertz and Krell), maybe in the late 80s or early 90s, maybe a version of the Tropen Scholar 500 customised for newly established Visconti. Anyway, a great find!

#4 nepniatnouf

nepniatnouf

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2019 - 14:35

Maybe these two threads will be of some help:

http://www.fountainp...early-visconti/

http://www.fountainp...onti-id-please/

Maybe a version of Replica or D'Essai...

Edited by 7is, 25 May 2019 - 14:37.

#5 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:47

very interesting

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#6 Sigrid

Sigrid

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2019 - 20:45

I can only speculate that this pen was made by Tropen or Senator (Mertz and Krell), maybe in the late 80s or early 90s, maybe a version of the Tropen Scholar 500 customised for newly established Visconti. Anyway, a great find!

Maybe these two threads will be of some help:

http://www.fountainp...early-visconti/

http://www.fountainp...onti-id-please/

Maybe a version of Replica or D'Essai...

It's something to think about. It really puzzels me. Is it a fake Visconti? Is it a very early model? Why the Tropen nib? How about the clip on the cap? The green ink window?
Anyway, trying this week to take this pen to the Visconti store in Florence. Maybe they can enlighten me/us.

#7 nepniatnouf

nepniatnouf

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2019 - 22:50

Hi Sigrid! I wouldn't say that it's a fake Visconti. It may be that in their early years they sourced pens or parts from other manufacturers, including Tropen. Let us know what they will tell you in Florence.

#8 Sigrid

Sigrid

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2019 - 22:53

Hi Sigrid! I wouldn't say that it's a fake Visconti. It may be that in their early years they sourced pens or parts from other manufacturers, including Tropen. Let us know what they will tell you in Florence.

No, I don't think it's fake either, but you never know in this crazy world. I hope the Visconti people will be able/willing to shed some light on it. Will keep you posted.

#9 Sigrid

Sigrid

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2019 - 16:13

UPDATE! News from the Visconti store in Florence. The girl in the shop didn't know this pen but took some photos of it and sent it to an old employee in the back office. He could tell us that it's a Visconti Metal from 1990. Simple students pen. well, that was obvious. But the nib is still a mystery. Maybe because Visconti was just starting out they used a nib from another brand. They didn't know... Anyway. The pen is never used and in a good state. Nice people there at Visconti :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: visconti, vintage, identification

Sponsored Content

|