The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Help Identifying Platinum Pen

platinum

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BergerDM

BergerDM

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2019 - 22:56

Hello!

So, trolling around for inexpensive pens to buy as (I am fairly new to the hobby), and having had A Plaisir for my first FP, I hold a soft spot for Platinums. So when I found one that was, in the grand scheme of things, very cheap and a full demonstrator, I had to have it.

However, it seems to be an older model, and there is no model name on the pen or anything of the kind.

IMG_20190521_113921156.jpg

The nib is very fine, between my Plaisir's 03 nib and a Pilot EF one. The photo doesn't show it clearly, but there are two japanese characters engraved below the platinum logo, so tiny I couldn't see them properly to copy.

IMG_20190521_113942459.jpg

I couldn't really find a full catalog of Platinum models, and therefore could not identify this pen. Maybe one of you has seen it before? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by BergerDM, 21 May 2019 - 22:59.

Sponsored Content

#2 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:04

I cannot make out the two blurred kanji characters on the nib from the second photo. What I can tell you is, in the context of nib width grades:

• 極 means 'extra'

• 細 means 'fine'

• 中 means 'medium'

and, from the apparent density of the strokes, I'll venture a guess the inscription reads 極細.

The nib is apparently (in the absence of markings indicating the gold content in the alloy) made of gold-plated stainless steel, and the shape of the nib is different from that in the current Platinum Balance line of pens. I have never come across information on a Platinum pen model with a ribbed section; even the section on the Platinum #3776 Ribbed is smooth. It appears, from the first photo, that there is a model number ending in "B-5" on the box? What does it actually read in its entirety?

Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. We're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but not necessarily any shared values, and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative or position.

Don't think 'cos I understand, I care
Don't think 'cos I'm talking, we're friends

—'6 Underground' by Sneaker Pimps

#3 BergerDM

BergerDM

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2019 - 17:43

I'm trying to get a better camera so I can photograph the symbols.

The B-5 is just that - B-5. All that is written there. The pen seems old to me, as the clear body is a little yellowed.

I cannot make out the two blurred kanji characters on the nib from the second photo. What I can tell you is, in the context of nib width grades:

•  

• 極 means 'extra'

• 細 means 'fine'

• 中 means 'medium'

and, from the apparent density of the strokes, I'll venture a guess the inscription reads 極細.

The nib is apparently (in the absence of markings indicating the gold content in the alloy) made of gold-plated stainless steel, and the shape of the nib is different from that in the current Platinum Balance line of pens. I have never come across information on a Platinum pen model with a ribbed section; even the section on the Platinum #3776 Ribbed is smooth. It appears, from the first photo, that there is a model number ending in "B-5" on the box? What does it actually read in its entirety?

#4 BergerDM

BergerDM

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2019 - 15:08

Also, the Symbols on the nib read for Medium-Fine.

#5 mke

mke

Read my lips: No more (pens/inks/paper)

• Member - Gold

• 2,110 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 22:13

You certainly contacted Platinum (Japan, US, ...) and asked?

Is there a barcode on the box? If yes, make a photo of that label too.

-
The breather hole of the nib is round? Then it is the old-style nib.

#6 mke

mke

Read my lips: No more (pens/inks/paper)

• Member - Gold

• 2,110 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 22:19

Is it this one?
https://www.peytonst...-old-stock.html

#7 BergerDM

BergerDM

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2019 - 22:57

yup, it's that one! Though I got it for about a third of that listed price.

I was just coming to include in the thread a picture of the nib as fully cleaned as I could make it, used water as my zoom so I could get the tiny symbols with my crappy phone camera:

IMG_20190606_195002660.jpg

I'm thinking if possible converting it to an eyedropper; I think it would look very good. Dunno exactly what is needed to do that in this particular pen, but it would look very good.

Edited by BergerDM, 06 June 2019 - 22:59.

#8 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2019 - 23:06

中細 is Medium Fine.

That's interesting, since unlike Sailor and Pilot, Platinum doesn't seem to have that nib width grade as an option for many (or any?) pen models these days. The MSRP sticker of ¥2,000 (seen in the photos of the one Peyton Street Pens is selling) places the model somewhere between the aluminium-bodied Plaisir and the acrylic-bodied Balance (including the 'Crystal'/'Cool' demonstrator) models of today, even after accounting for 1990 pricing.

I'm thinking if possible converting it to an eyedropper; I think it would look very good. Dunno exactly what is needed to do that in this particular pen, but it would look very good.

Unscrew the section from the barrel, fill the barrel with ink, then screw the section back on, and off you go? Isn't that as simple as it gets? Everything else (applying silicon grease, adding an O-ring, etc.) is just preventative measures, but not critical to how an eye-dropper pen functions, as long as there is no defect in the screw threads creating a gap between section and barrel where they connect.

Edited by A Smug Dill, 06 June 2019 - 23:19.

Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. We're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but not necessarily any shared values, and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative or position.

Don't think 'cos I understand, I care
Don't think 'cos I'm talking, we're friends

—'6 Underground' by Sneaker Pimps

#9 nepniatnouf

nepniatnouf

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2019 - 23:30

I believe it may be the PTB-2000 or PTB-2000d

https://fpgeeks.com/...hlight=Platinum

#10 BergerDM

BergerDM

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 June 2019 - 23:38

I believe it may be the PTB-2000 or PTB-2000d

https://fpgeeks.com/...hlight=Platinum

It really does look uncannily alike! Thanks! Mine would have been produced in July 1990 then.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: platinum

Sponsored Content

|