The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Removing Funky Sweaty-Socks Smell From My Rangas

cleaning

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 pepsiplease69

pepsiplease69

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2019 - 18:38

Hello folks,

I'm seeking your advice on what to do about the weird smell on two of my ranga pens.

They are both made of black ebonite with a matte finish. I don't know if the matte finish is more susceptible to fungi or bacteria setting up shop there.

I'm using one as an eyedropper filler so even inside the barrel there's more funky smell.

I'm not talking about the rubber smell which is expected. I think the smell can be best described as "sweaty socks".

Not very pleasant when you uncap the pen to start writing with it. The 4C has that smell on the section and barrel, and the sugarcane has a really bad smell inside the barrel.

Should I just soak overnight in a diluted solution of ammonia? Other cleaning solution? What's your preferred recipe/concentration level?

I believe I ordered this product "Shaklee® Basic-G® Concentrated Germicide" several years ago on Amazon based on previous advice from someone on FPN. I received the cleaner but never actually used it till now.

If this would be better than ammonia, what concentration should I go for?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Content

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,196 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 20:28

Funky smell to me means biological stuff.  Use the Basic-G.  Diluted appropriately as in the instructions, then llet it sit in the pen for a while, and also flush the nib and feed, or immerse it in the stuff as well.  Then rinse well with clear water.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#3 FOUR X FOUR

FOUR X FOUR

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2019 - 20:35

Funky smell to me means biological stuff.  Use the Basic-G.  Diluted appropriately as in the instructions, then llet it sit in the pen for a while, and also flush the nib and feed, or immerse it in the stuff as well.  Then rinse well with clear water.

Hi Ron.

Is Basic G a Shaklee product?
I used to take Shacklee Vitamins.
Seems like a life time ago.

Allan

Edited by FOUR X FOUR, 21 May 2019 - 20:38.

#4 FOUR X FOUR

FOUR X FOUR

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,310 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2019 - 20:37

I just bought a Noodlers safety pen so that I could find out what the Ebonite smell is like. No smell what so ever.

Allan

#5 pepsiplease69

pepsiplease69

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 981 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2019 - 21:22

I just bought a Noodlers safety pen so that I could find out what the Ebonite smell is like. No smell what so ever.

Allan

Give the barrel a good rub with your thumb, the smell should be there.

#6 pepsiplease69

pepsiplease69

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 981 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2019 - 21:23

Thanks Ron, I'll give it a try.

#7 FOUR X FOUR

FOUR X FOUR

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,310 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2019 - 23:03

Give the barrel a good rub with your thumb, the smell should be there.

Thanx, will do.
Allan

#8 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• 9,806 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:47

Tuff actin Tinactin?
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#9 pepsiplease69

pepsiplease69

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 981 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2019 - 18:53

On the Shaklee Basic-G it says to mix 1oz into 2 gal water or 1/2 oz into 1 gal water.

I didnt have anything to measure 1/2 oz with so I went with 1 oz in 1 gal water.

Somewhere in the instructions it says to mix a stronger solution of 2oz in 2gal water to kill a certain virus. So I just went with that ratio. Even the 1 gal that I mixed is too much for my needs.

Ill let it sit for a day in the stuff and check on it tomorrow.

I chose not to drop the nib and feed screw-in unit in the solution just because I think they dont need it. I also generally dont immerse the nib into my ink bottle but rather I fill through the converter directly or do the eyedropper fill method.

#10 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• 9,806 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 20:07

I’m thinking soaking hard rubber in water isn’t necessarily a good choice.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#11 eachan

eachan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2019 - 23:25

I’m thinking soaking hard rubber in water isn’t necessarily a good choice.

I'm with you there!

Regards,

Eachan

#12 pepsiplease69

pepsiplease69

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 981 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2019 - 05:11

Im thinking soaking hard rubber in water isnt necessarily a good choice.

Point taken.

So, as of this writing, Ive just taken out the pens after a 10 hours soak in the Shaklee solution. Ive given everything a good rinse and Ill now let them air-dry overnight and will put them back together tomorrow and take a whiff.

Im thinking the odor should have gotten resolved.

Will post an update tomorrow.

#13 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2019 - 17:06

:lol: There's always the last step -- add perfume to your ink to overwhelm the native smell.

#14 pepsiplease69

pepsiplease69

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 981 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:39

Just a final update, the smell has been eradicated and I now have a solution (literally and figuratively) for when it rears its ugly head.

Thanks all for your helpful suggestions.

#15 pepsiplease69

pepsiplease69

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 981 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:45

:lol: There's always the last step -- add perfume to your ink to overwhelm the native smell.

Sorry, fragrance in my ink is just not my thing.

I did pick up a scented ink in the past, de Atramentis Strawberry. It had an amazing red color as well as a strawberry smell. Every time Id uncap the pen Id get a smell. After a while it got old and the smell became invasive and an unwanted distraction.

Im perfectly content with the usual smell of ebonite. Also Im okay with the distinct ink smell of sailor and namiki pilot inks. But beyond that I really prefer things to be odorless.

Thanks

#16 eharriett

eharriett

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,340 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2019 - 15:15

I'll have to look into some Basic-G.  Found it on Amazon for a good price.  Never bought before.

I have a Taperite I absolutely LOVE to use.  But it had a moldy cheese smell.  Someone recommended I stick it in coffee grounds for a bit.  I emptied and taped up the pen and dropped it in the cannister of coffee grounds for a month and when I finally pulled it out the pen smelled like coffee :rolleyes:

Although I must admit when the coffee scent dissapated, the smell was much reduced and almost unnoticable.  Another alternative, I suppose, if Basic-G is unavailable.

#17 sansenri

sansenri

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2019 - 23:10

You may want to try a benzalchonium based mouth wash for a quick wash of the inner parts of the pen.

Benzalchonium is an antimicrobial so if the pen has been contaminated by bacteria it may do the job.

I would probably leave it in the pen for half an hour or so but not more.

After that wash with water carefully.

Thereafter use an ink with evident presence of preservative (they usually smells of medicine... I suggest trying KWZ).

After use of ebonite pens, especially when used as ED remember to wash them well and before storing them leave them to dry dismantled for a day or two.

PS just checked what Shaklee Basic-G is (we don't have that product in EU) Glad it solved the problem (essentially it's what I suggested).

The rest of recommendations remain valid.

Edited by sansenri, 28 May 2019 - 23:20.

#18 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• 2,198 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 22:53

I sure hope everyone using these various solutions and chemicals remembers to use rubber (or something similar) gloves when working with them.

P.S. Glad you were able to get the smell out.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cleaning

Sponsored Content

|