Help With Diagnosing Pen Writing Issue

bbqjohn

Hello, I have a pilot custom 823 medium nib, sometimes it becomes more dry and scratchy (not very scratchy just not as smooth). It is not always like that, sometimes when i just start writing it is more smooth and appears to be more wet but quickly certain strokes will appear more dry and it wont seem as smooth. Of note It does have some hard starts as well which are not too frequent but do occur. Also of note when i first got it, it was very dry and i return it and the place i bought it from adjusted the nib to make it more wet.

The current issue is not a huge problem and im sure most people would ignore it or not notice it much, but i really do like the smooth writing experience and it bothers me after a few min of writing. I am unscrewing the bottom cap when i write so that is not the problem. Im using namiki blue water proof ink. Im not sure if it is a feed problem.

Anyone know what could be wrong with the pen? Its hard to describe and i dont know if others would have an issue with this, it might be a personal preference thing. I also have a namiki emperor which is very smooth and a wet writer. I have no issues with that pen and it is what helped me determine what kind of writing properties i like.

I am thinking about going to a pen show to help diagnose and treat this problem or maybe sending it to someone who works on nibs?

Thank you.

Edited by bbqjohn

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bbqjohn

• penzel_washinkton

• Mr.Rene

• Bo Bo Olson

Could be a converter problem....you will want a small plastic ball or small part of a Ball Point spring to break vapor lock.

I'm not much up on converters other than that, in I chase piston pens.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks for the reply.

The pen is a vacuum filler, no converter. Do you think that issue can happen with vacuum fillers?

Own an 823 but fortunately haven't experienced something like that.

Is the pen new? Probably it is caused by a faulty feed. To consult at a pen show is the best route I guess for you.

Hello, I have a pilot custom 823 medium nib, sometimes it becomes more dry and scratchy (not very scratchy just not as smooth). It is not always like that, sometimes when i just start writing it is more smooth and appears to be more wet but quickly certain strokes will appear more dry and it wont seem as smooth. Of note It does have some hard starts as well which are not too frequent but do occur. Also of note when i first got it, it was very dry and i return it and the place i bought it from adjusted the nib to make it more wet.

The current issue is not a huge problem and im sure most people would ignore it or not notice it much, but i really do like the smooth writing experience and it bothers me after a few min of writing. I am unscrewing the bottom cap when i write so that is not the problem. Im using namiki blue water proof ink. Im not sure if it is a feed problem.

Anyone know what could be wrong with the pen? Its hard to describe and i dont know if others would have an issue with this, it might be a personal preference thing. I also have a namiki emperor which is very smooth and a wet writer. I have no issues with that pen and it is what helped me determine what kind of writing properties i like.

I am thinking about going to a pen show to help diagnose and treat this problem or maybe sending it to someone who works on nibs?

Thank you.

Do you keep the filler valve open when you write..don´t you? :unsure:

Keep the vacuum filler knob unscrew I mean...

Edited by Mr.Rene

Do you keep the filler valve open when you write..don´t you? :unsure:

Keep the vacuum filler knob unscrew I mean...

+1

I've read about this problem, and I think Mr. Rene is spot on.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

If you can go see a nibmeister in person at a pen show, that is probably the best option. Well, other than returning it for a refund and getting a new one without issues...

Yep, you must open the valve on the 823 by unscrewing the blind cap just a bit. Otherwise the pen uses up the ink in the feed and then stops. It's a feature, actually. When you close the valve, the 823 is nearly leakproof.

ron

bbqjohn mentioned in his post that he keeps the valve open. I am into my third month of my 823 and I am finding that it is 1) getting smoother and smoother and 2) that it prefers wetter inks. bbqjohn, how long have you had it?