Modern Onoto's And Cap Tightening

Silent Speaker

Hello,

I've received a modern pinstriped Onoto, on that modern Magna base, and have been told by someone at Onoto that the degree of tightening required to get the stripes on the cap and barrel to line up is apparently totally normal, as their "customers prefer screwing the cap relatively tight" or some such.

Thing is, "relatively tight" in this case, to get it even close to alignment, is a tightness I would deem extreme. Let's just say that no way I would tighten any other pen cap from any other brand I own this tight; it's an on-the-verge-of-cracking sort of tightness, it's quite unnerving.

Could anyone here who owns a pinstriped Onoto, say from the Dickens line or that Churchill model for example, please let me know how tight they need to screw the cap to get the stripes to align on their pen? Did it just become easier with use?

Thank you.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• como

• Silent Speaker

• dapprman

• praxim

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me it's the The Pen splash and the clip. On my first - a plain Magna Classic, it lines up perfectly. Same on my second, a Chuzzelwit, again it, and the pin stripes line up with no pressure). My third, a 'Dubai inspired' pearlescent Burgundy with chasing, it doesn't quite under what I consider normal pressure, but requires a 5-10 degree additional turn which is on the firm (but not feels like it's going to break) way. Now one thing they did say to me when I bought the last one, as it was from a pen show, was that they had not had time to wax the threads, and this might be why. Worth asking Feng ? (assuming he's who you spoke to).

Just a cautionary note that doing anything to lubricate the threads will mean that for a given applied torque, the threads will be tighter, which means they will be under more static stress. Personally, I would protect the pen at the expense of alignment but I can not speak for what Onotos will actually handle (mine have no pattern which needs alignment).

X

My Onoto Churchill Pinstripe did not align when new. The best way to get alignment is to tighten a little more each time the cap is put on, and over time the cap will be close such that just a small further adjustment is needed. You can speed this up by screwing the cap on, tighten a bit more, unscrew and repeat. You will see that it gets closer to alignment after several repetitions. Just be patient, and don’t put too much torque on the threads— just a little each time.

Silent Speaker, please see the attached photos of my Onoto Victory Pinstripe.

The one with perfectly aligned stripes is when capped until cap moves no future (still within pressure tolerance but I would not go further).

The one with slightly mis-aligned stripes is my usual preference of capping the pen, light-medium pressure.

Don't force anything that you don't feel comfortable with. The patterns are supposed to line up. That's the whole point of having single start of threads.

Regards,

como

Hello,

I've received a modern pinstriped Onoto, on that modern Magna base, and have been told by someone at Onoto that the degree of tightening required to get the stripes on the cap and barrel to line up is apparently totally normal, as their "customers prefer screwing the cap relatively tight" or some such.

Thing is, "relatively tight" in this case, to get it even close to alignment, is a tightness I would deem extreme. Let's just say that no way I would tighten any other pen cap from any other brand I own this tight; it's an on-the-verge-of-cracking sort of tightness, it's quite unnerving.

Could anyone here who owns a pinstriped Onoto, say from the Dickens line or that Churchill model for example, please let me know how tight they need to screw the cap to get the stripes to align on their pen? Did it just become easier with use?

Thank you.

post-145678-0-42901700-1558460029_thumb.jpg

post-145678-0-77569500-1558460049_thumb.jpg

I think that as the threads wear you will get it closer. But.. It doesn't look right. The other possibility is the mating shoulder in the cap that the section abuts with isn't quite deep enough. It may be worth contacting Onoto about this as otherwise if you modified it yourself you could invalidate your guarantee. The sort of machining distance needed would be just a few hundredths of a millimetre.

Regards,

Richard.

Silent Speaker: My Onoto Pinstripe pen had an issue with the cap, and the patterns didn't line up. Eventually it was sent back, and Emma and Feng resolved it. The result is what you see in my previous post: patterns are aligned when some pressure is used, not perfectly aligned when I cap it with my normal light/medium pressure. This is fine with me. But using some pressure and still far off is not within normal tolerance range. I can't judge how yours is aligned (no photo). If you feel that it's really not right, you should contact them to get it resolved. They have been helpful in the past.