Time Test Of Inexpesive Quality

Chmara

It was one of the first chilly days in November 2018 I was traveling around paying bills, writing checks, etc. with my Amazon purchased Wing Sun 3008 fine nib pen that came in a pack of four for very cheap. the lost for 6

At age 77 I am just getting readable script, cannot afford beautiful "quality" pens and must be careful of every penny. After 2 years of left handed practice I was finally using my new script in public. I was proud that it was at least legible the first time in my life. The WIng Sun fine points came in smooth and easy to use, easy to fill bodies and secure screw-on caps.

The next day -- after a good sleep -- I could not find the pen, searched and could not find it. Searched on and off for five months, revisited places I had used it and found no trace. Lack of funds stopped me from replacing it or upgrading. I became depressed and was even forced to use ball point pens on several occassions to sign things.

I had carefully watched everything I washed so I did not ebnd up detroyong the lost item and staining the whole laundry load with "Heart of Darkness" black ink which was at least 3/4 full in the pen.

It is warming up in Tucson with days exceeding 90 degrees so I have been storing winter garment -- and low and behold the six months lost pen appeared in pocket of a little used winter jacket. Still with 3/4 full of Heart of Darkness seen through the demonstrator body.

SO -- after reading many reviews about nibs drying and pens needing disassembly and cleaning -- I was worried I woukd have a chore salvaging thr log losy 3008.

WRONG!!!!!!

I unscrewed the cap held the pen in my weird left handed way and starting writing immediately with smooth no skipping cursive. Sat, partly filled for six months, needed no priming, cleaning, and I will refill as I run out of the supply left in the pen 6 months ago.

So here's to Wing Sun 3008.

Demonstrator body very comfortable

Screw (clutch type) filling mechanism for dipping only

Secure Postable Cap screws on and protects nib and feed from drying

Nib - Smooth Stainless Steel Fine as Ordered with no feedback or scratchiness.

Feeds sufficient in to almost be called "wet" which is different for a fine nib. Flow is consistent.

As an underwiter Lefty- nib tines do not catch and spray even on cheap paper upstrokes

Clip i Chrome and secure

Not fancy at all -- just works great.

I wish that Jinhao had as good a fine nib on their 750 XL series.

Edited by Chmara

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smitbret

• jchch1950

• miwishi63

• Chmara

I lose pens from time to time and they turn up in similar ways. I'm 70, but I have been doing it for decades. The Wing Sung pen I have, a 3006 I think is a better pen than many more costly pens.

I lived in Tucscon from 71 to 74, and it's a great place to live.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Glad to see you're still at it, Gregg.

Question - do you use pencils at all? I have a few spare rotring 600 0.5mm's that I got because rotring kept sending me them for some reason. I'd be happy to send you one.

I also have a nice 10k soft gold nib Hero that I think you might like.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 3 weeks later...

It was one of the first chilly days in November 2018 I was traveling around paying bills, writing checks, etc. with my Amazon purchased Wing Sun 3008 fine nib pen that came in a pack of four for very cheap. the lost for 6

At age 77 I am just getting readable script, cannot afford beautiful "quality" pens and must be careful of every penny. After 2 years of left handed practice I was finally using my new script in public. I was proud that it was at least legible the first time in my life. The WIng Sun fine points came in smooth and easy to use, easy to fill bodies and secure screw-on caps.

The next day -- after a good sleep -- I could not find the pen, searched and could not find it. Searched on and off for five months, revisited places I had used it and found no trace. Lack of funds stopped me from replacing it or upgrading. I became depressed and was even forced to use ball point pens on several occassions to sign things.

I had carefully watched everything I washed so I did not ebnd up detroyong the lost item and staining the whole laundry load with "Heart of Darkness" black ink which was at least 3/4 full in the pen.

It is warming up in Tucson with days exceeding 90 degrees so I have been storing winter garment -- and low and behold the six months lost pen appeared in pocket of a little used winter jacket. Still with 3/4 full of Heart of Darkness seen through the demonstrator body.

SO -- after reading many reviews about nibs drying and pens needing disassembly and cleaning -- I was worried I woukd have a chore salvaging thr log losy 3008.

WRONG!!!!!!

I unscrewed the cap held the pen in my weird left handed way and starting writing immediately with smooth no skipping cursive. Sat, partly filled for six months, needed no priming, cleaning, and I will refill as I run out of the supply left in the pen 6 months ago.

So here's to Wing Sun 3008.

Demonstrator body very comfortable

Screw (clutch type) filling mechanism for dipping only

Secure Postable Cap screws on and protects nib and feed from drying

Nib - Smooth Stainless Steel Fine as Ordered with no feedback or scratchiness.

Feeds sufficient in to almost be called "wet" which is different for a fine nib. Flow is consistent.

As an underwiter Lefty- nib tines do not catch and spray even on cheap paper upstrokes

Clip i Chrome and secure

Not fancy at all -- just works great.

I wish that Jinhao had as good a fine nib on their 750 XL series.

If you can swing the $15, a Knox, Nemosine or Goulet nib can be stuck into an x750/x450/159 without a sweat.

The 3008 is one of my new favorites as well. Lately the only pens I have inked are ones that cost less that $15 US. I'm happy for you that you were reunited with your wandering pen!

Mike