What Loupes Are Best?

LeftyJim

IMHO, a good 10x loupe is a good place to start.

I have a 20x loupe that I probably used less than 10 times. As mentioned a 20x has a smaller field of view, shallower depth of field, and you have to put the loupe so close to the nib that it can be difficult to illuminate the nib to see it. But IF you need the magnification, it is nice to have.

Note, a high quality 10x will provide a clearer image than a poor/lesser quality 10x, so you may not need to use a higher power loupe.

The often recommended Belomo is pretty good at a reasonable price. But it does not have a light, so you NEED a good lamp.

At club meets or shows, the lighting is usually poor. So, I bring an inexpensive loupe that has a built in light. Belomo does/did not make a loupe with a built in light, or I would have bought one.

I also have a stereo microscope for diagnostic work on problem nibs, but it is bulky, not portable, and I cannot view a nib head on. So it is a specialized and limited tool.

A digital microscope is similar. You need a computer or laptop to view the output from the scope. So it isn't as handy to use as a loupe.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• SpecTP

• LeftyJim

• OMASsimo

Grobet makes a 10x loupe with a little ring of LED lights around the edge. The most useful part is the lanyard I put on it so I can wear it at pen shows.

I have several different loupes. I have difficulty with the jewelers loupe. It seems that I can’t ever get them to focus.

I am a professional microscopist and an elected member of the Royal Microscopical Society (among other professional groups). Yes, we consider loupes as part of our professional area.

Chinese loupes can be good, but it is very hit or miss. Buy five and you'll see. If you can find a dealer who culls the duds, you might finds a decent loupe. But QC is what sinks the Chinese products. And fraud. Some Chinese "triplets" amazingly have only one lens, not three! Plus the Chinese loupes advertised as 30X, 40X, even 60X! These are optical impossibilities. Your field of view would be less than the width of say, a toothpick, and you'd need to stick the loupe INTO your eye.

Avoid other lens systems, such as the Coddington. They are dated designs, and inferior to the Hastings triplet design.

For a handheld loupe, the ones that swing into a protective holder, the way to go is a 10X Belomo triplet or a Bausch & Lomb 10X triplet. Each has it's proponents, but the Belomo is better optically and usually a bit cheaper (around $32 to $37 USD). You can buy Nikon and Zeiss or other version for more -even a lot more $$$$- but you don't need to. And the Belomo will still be better.

Don't be mislead by built-in LED lighting. You will need to hold the object very close (within one inch) to the lens, and have your eye equally close to the other side of the loupe. A good gooseneck table lamp or the like is what is needed.

Magnification is always the great temptress. Geologists and botanists, who use their loupes a lot in the field, stick with 10X. A quality loupe at 10X is what you need. Learn to use it well by looking at many different objects. Most users don't see details visible at 5X because thet don't learn to see and take their time, so 10X, let alone 12X or 15X, are wasted on them.

A stereo microscope is a wonderful alternative, but even decent used one on eBay (say a Nikon) will involve over $100 including shipping.

The watchmaker's loupe, held in place by your lowered eyebrow, is a handy supplementary instrument. Some people use a spring metal headband,but it is easier to master the knack of holding one in place by sort of squinting. You can get a decent Bausch & Lomb for around $10 on Amazon. I recommend 7X or even 5X, to complement your handheld 10X loupe.. You'll find yourself reaching for both as you work.

Not often mentioned, are flip up magnifying glasses worn on a headband, often used by engravers and gunsmiths. These go over eyeglasses if you wear them. They should run you about $30 for a quality pair. I've had mine since the 1970s. Magnification runs from 3X to about 6X, but your hands are free. Amazon sells them (beware knock-off cheapies) and the best ones are sold by Brownells of Montezuma, Iowa, the top gunsmithing supply house in the world (you can check their online catalog or call and chat with a highly knowledgeable sales person).

My advice would be to buy a 10X Belomo loupe, and a 5X or 7X Bausch & Lomb Watchmaker's loupe, all on Amazon. You will be glad you did. I own these and they are what I use with pens. Consider getting a lanyard for your Belomo, so you can keep it handy. And think of it this way: together, they might cost you $45, tops. If you use them for ten years, that's $4.50 per year. That's a great deal, any day! I've had most of my optics at leadt 20 or more years. The yearly cost has trivial.

Brian

Brian, thanks for the info. I went through a dozen chinese made 10x loupes before I found some that were satisfactory. What is your opinion on achromat loupes?

Yes, I second (or "third"?) that, for the most informative post from Brian! (What is the Royal Microscopical Society? It must be so tiny that one perforce requires a loupe to see it? And I didn't think "royal" went down well in The States, Brian? -- Except that New Englanders seem to <love> the Brit Royal family!) :)

I already have -- and use -- my 7x loupe from Eschenbach and it's a good one; but I had wondered about acquiring a headband-type one, too. After reading your short symposium, above, I think that I shall refrain from buying Chinese, because of that afore-mentioned (poor) quality control! Thanks tons!

I use a nice 12x double lens loupe made in Germany by Eschenbach

main scope is to inspect the tip of the nib (misalignement, wearing, etc)

It's on the verge of too strong, so 8x and 10x would probably do for the same purpose

if you can, don't skip on quality too much, a good loupe is for a lifetime (and more)