Wing Sun 3008 Stop Leak Repair / Modification

crossstick

I ordered the 4 pack of Wing Sun 3008 from Amazon. 3 of 4 pens leaked at the silver ring at nib end of the grip. I'm sure the 4th will leak but it's not inked yet.

These will be the LAST Wings I buy but to salvage these 4 I spread a thin layer of silicone adhesive at the silver ring joint where it meets the grip, then secured a section of heat shrink tubing (used in electrical insulation applications). This seems to have created a fix.

! But leaky pens should not be sold by any manufacturer at any price !

post-143337-0-54857500-1558020166_thumb.jpg

Edited by crossstick

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Seele

• crossstick

• darkage

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Crossstick,

Please be aware that not all Wing Sungs are made by the same company. The 6xx series are made by one, and the 3xxx made by another. This is due to Hero's rather odd method of reviving a dormant brand they owned. Rather than revive it themselves, they sold the manufacturing rights to certain model numbers to other companies. The 6xx series are made to a reasonable standard, and the 3xxx pens seem made to a lower standard.

I have never bought a pen from the 3xxx series, but have a 618 and six 601's. I am happy with them and use them outside the house to avoid risk to my Parker 51's.

Regards,

Richard

Thanks for that info, Richard.

I too have a recent fourpack of Wing Sung 3009s; I have so far only inked one, and yes, it leaked at that exact same spot. I put a little silicone grease under the collar (it was loose enough to do that!) and that seems to have done the trick for me. But it's good to know to expect something of the sort; I will check the other three before inking them, and if necessary put a little silicone grease under the collar.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I just bought a four pack of Wing Sung 3008A's and they're all great so far (day 7 only!). They write a lot more smoothly than I anticipated (I bought them to test out ink mixtures that I wasn't sure about and to use in a wet dusty enrionment (clay studio). I'm actually pretty impressed.

Not sure entirely sure if the A is significant, but noodling around the internet and ebay there seems to be an implication that there was a minor model redesign in 2018 and the A seems to be the newer model. There are still plenty of the 2017 3008s being sold on ebay so ... maybe that's what you've got!?

Incidentally I just watched a Noodler's/Nathan Tardiff video on hacking one of his pens and he uses a tiny bit of teflen tape (aka plumbers tape) to secure the feed into the collar a bit better and to prevent leakage. He claims this is fairly standard practice for many vintage pens. FWIW anyway.

Hmm I just got one yesterday, I was wondering why one of my fingers had a ink spot.. I was suspecting a leak near this area but I thought I was dreaming.

crossstick,

The pen is not leaking. The metal collar at the end of the section is screwed into place, during filling, ink would climb into the space between the threads, resulting in the "leak" you described.

The way to fix it is this: when the pen is cleaned and dried, pull the nib/feed out, unscrew the collar, clean and dry the threads at both ends. Then apply silicone grease to the threads, screw the collar back in position, wipe off excess that gets pushed out at the two seams. This fixes the problem permanently.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.