• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• Intensity

• Mongoosey

• Benpiggy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got my order in - I would have *much* preferred an option for chrome trim, but the original Himalaya is such a fantastic pen, I'm willing to put up with gold trim to get a #6 version!

Got my order in - I would have *much* preferred an option for chrome trim***, but the original Himalaya is such a fantastic pen, I'm willing to put up with gold trim to get a #6 version!

Me, too, but as you say, my own experience with the original Himalaya allows me to overlook that...

...especially since he kept the price down at $32.

Me, too, but as you say, my own experience with the original Himalaya allows me to overlook that...

...especially since he kept the price down at $32.

Agreed - the Himalaya is my absolute favourite FPR pen, but I've felt a bit conflicted till now, because I prefer the #6 size nibs. The Triveni is a nice pen too (and its current iteration takes #6 nibs), but it's a *lot* more expensive, and (IMHO) not quite as appealing aesthetically. So for $32, this is a *reeeally* good deal!

I've already asked, and been told, that if there's sufficient interest a chrome-finished version of the Himalaya may be forthcoming down the track - so feel free to provide feedback on this to FPR if you're keen to see it happen!

Could anyone compare #5.5 Ultra Flex nib to #6 Ultra Flex nib? I love my #5.5 Ultra Flex nib in the original version of FPR Himalaya, and I've been planning on getting another soon. Saw the e-mail announcement about the Himalayas with #6 nibs, and now I'm not sure if I should go for the new version or the original version.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I prefer the silver trim. I've had gold trim like that that justs fades towards silver anyways.

Either way, I'm picking one up. I've been waiting for a #6 nibbed himalaya for a while.

The Triveni's not bad, but I like the section on the Himalaya more and I also prefer the Ebonite feed, it's wetness and how easy it is to clean. It let's me use even the dirtiest of Noodler's inks without worry (Old Manhattan Black) lol.

I like the green ebonite. I like it's earthy color. It reminds of my strolls through the forests of Connecticut... hard to beat those walks and the writing that came out of me along those paths.

I prefer the silver trim. I've had gold trim like that that justs fades towards silver anyways.

Either way, I'm picking one up. I've been waiting for a #6 nibbed himalaya for a while.

The Triveni's not bad, but I like the section on the Himalaya more and I also prefer the Ebonite feed, it's wetness and how easy it is to clean. It let's me use even the dirtiest of Noodler's inks without worry (Old Manhattan Black) lol.

I like the green ebonite. I like it's earthy color. It reminds of my strolls through the forests of Connecticut... hard to beat those walks and the writing that came out of me along those paths.

Agreed all the way down the line - though I find the plastic feed on the Triveni quite adequate. I didn't want to order a colour I already had, though (and I'm not as keen on the brown ebonite) - so mine is the purply-black (Amethyst Purple). I also splashed out a little extra, to get an "ultra flex" nib. My experience with these has been pretty good!

Agreed all the way down the line - though I find the plastic feed on the Triveni quite adequate. I didn't want to order a colour I already had, though (and I'm not as keen on the brown ebonite) - so mine is the purply-black (Amethyst Purple). I also splashed out a little extra, to get an "ultra flex" nib. My experience with these has been pretty good!

The Purply black is a beguiling color.

Will we have a first impressions or review to look forward to from you?

The Purply black is a beguiling color.

Will we have a first impressions or review to look forward to from you?

That's the plan - as soon as the pen reaches my side of the Pacific (and/or Atlantic?)! I started bugging Kevin to get this up on his website as soon as I saw his Instragram post - and placed an order as soon as I could... Feel free to give us your verdict, if you receive yours before I receive mine...

I've been bugging Kevin for over a year for a #6 Himalaya lol.

I'm going to wait a couple weeks to get it because of 2 converging things: 1) I've been hellbent on another pen for a couple weeks that requires an inch more saving and 2) I also want to get it as a reward after completing some current intensive work I don't want an incoming pen to distract me from.

I'm not going to mention that other pen I'm hellbent on because fairly recently I mentioned [on FPN] a pen as I was purchasing it and it ran out of stock while I waited for it to be shipped and they had to refund me... So I'm superstitious now lol...

But it was a blessing in disguise because I realized I would have preferred the pen I'm hellbent on now, which does cost that little extra I shouldn't have spent on inexpensive pens and some ink...

But I've been wanting Platinum Carbon Black for a long time and I couldn't resist any more lol...

But I digress lol.

Edited by Mongoosey

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't had time to write a review on this yet (I only received it late last week), but it's too nice a pen not to share some photos. I *love* the original Himalaya - which probably explains how I managed to accumulate so many - but always thought it would be EVEN BETTER with a #6 nib, and... well, I still think I was right! The pen is slightly longer (cap and grip section primarily) to accommodate a larger nib and feed - and for reasons I can't fathom they decided to offer this in a gold trim (I prefer the chrome of the original). Even so, this is substantially the same design as the original pen, and it looks and feels great.

I'll write a review when I get time (and after I've had a chance to play with it some more). In the meantime, here are a few gratuitous shots (including a comparison with the original size pen):

nuDOmS3.jpg

TDbHpun.jpg

GE1eLWY.jpg

That's a beauty. The purple is deep yet rich and so lovely with that velvety swirl. It looks like purple done right, which isn't easy to do. It definitely could use some Silver trim, though.

I loved my Himalaya, but I couldn't work around the #5 nib to make it anything more than a pen for very short writing sessions or temporary fun, but put a #6 on there and it becomes a workhorse...

...and for a pen at that price with a nice size and ergonomic design, I think that fills a gap in the fountain world. From what you are teasing I think Kevin did a good job.

I look forward to your review : )

Please comment on the nib difference in the Ultra-flex variety! I'm most interested in baseline width difference as well as whether #5 or #6 are more flexy and softer than the other.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Please comment on the nib difference in the Ultra-flex variety! I'm most interested in baseline width difference as well as whether #5 or #6 are more flexy and softer than the other.

Here's a comparison between a 'regular' #6 flex nib vs ultra-flex. The latter is *definitely* easier to flex (and more prone to splay tines a little even with very light pressure). I was able to get a slightly wider line, too, with the ultra-flex - but bear in mind the different inks, and the fact that the ultra-flex nib was wedded to a gushy ebonite feed.

I believe FPR sell a feed with a wider ink channel to accompany their flex nibs, and a less wet alternative for their other nibs - you can order spares and replacements, too, which makes this (and their other offerings) very versatile for those of us who like to chop and change.

fpn_1558998716__fpr_flex_vs_ultraflex.jp

Edited to add: Rhodia lined paper (A5 spiral top notebook)

Edited by Jamerelbe

Thank you. That olive green ink is lovely—what is it?

I already have a #5.5 ultra flex nib Himalaya and love it! The nib is super good, at least my unit is. Was going to get another with #5.5, but then the new #6 version came out. In theory, I prefer the smaller nib for shorter distance from the section to the paper: greater precision. Just curious if #6 ultra flex has some advantage. Is your #6 not ultra-flex? It has the side cut outs of ultra flex nivs; the regular flex has straight non-scalloped sides (at least it’s the case with #5.5 nibs).

Thank you. That olive green ink is lovely—what is it?

I already have a #5.5 ultra flex nib Himalaya and love it! The nib is super good, at least my unit is. Was going to get another with #5.5, but then the new #6 version came out. In theory, I prefer the smaller nib for shorter distance from the section to the paper: greater precision. Just curious if #6 ultra flex has some advantage. Is your #6 not ultra-flex? It has the side cut outs of ultra flex nivs; the regular flex has straight non-scalloped sides (at least it’s the case with #5.5 nibs).

The 'olive green' ink is Diamine Iridescink 'Robert' from Cult Pens - it's actually a dark purple, with a significant olive green sheen!

The orange writing is from a pen with regular #6 flex (on a Darjeeling pen - Diamine Inferno Orange ink), and the purple/green, yes, is from an ultraflex nib (with scalloped sides), on the new Himalaya.

In my limited experience with them, FPR's #6 flex nibs require a little less pressure to splay the tines - and the scalloping reduces the pressure requirement further.

I'm not exactly a precision writer (I'm always in too much of a rush!), so I can't tell you whether #5.5 or #6 rates higher on that score - only that I like both, but find the #6 a little more responsive for lower application of pressure. Would be interested to get your perspective, if you decide to try out one of the larger nibs!

Sorry, I'm confused--on your earlier photograph it looks like you have both #5.5 ultra-flex nib and #6 ultra flex nib in Himalaya. But your writing sample photograph and descriptions are just comparing #6 nibs: ultra-flex #6 and regular flex #6. Could you possibly compare your #5.5 and #6 Himalayas with ultra-flex nibs, which is what I originally hoped someone would post about? (I'm not personally interested in regular flex nib in either size--I've had that in #5.5 a year ago and didn't like it.) Thanks again.

Sorry, I'm confused--on your earlier photograph it looks like you have both #5.5 ultra-flex nib and #6 ultra flex nib in Himalaya. But your writing sample photograph and descriptions are just comparing #6 nibs: ultra-flex #6 and regular flex #6. Could you possibly compare your #5.5 and #6 Himalayas with ultra-flex nibs, which is what I originally hoped someone would post about? (I'm not personally interested in regular flex nib in either size--I've had that in #5.5 a year ago and didn't like it.) Thanks again.

Sorry, just because you make your request clear doesn't mean I'll understand it :blush: ...

The above photo is #6 regular flex vs #6 ultra flex - which I guess is not what you were asking for :(. The photo below is #5.5 ultra-flex vs #6 ultra-flex ( :thumbup:?).

Honestly, their performance is very similar, and (to my mind) they're both fairly easy to control. The greater length of the #6 tines makes them a little easier to flex with less downward pressure, though - which is a decided advantage in my books, but YMMV.

fpn_1559016046__fpr_ultraflex_5v6.jpg

Very helpful once again, thank you so much! Swayed toward the #6 nib variant now!