The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Antique Gold Pencil - Any Information?

pencil gold jewels antique

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 PeterR-C

PeterR-C

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:57

I have been going through some old inherited stuff and have come across a pencil. It is a fine tube, with a slide that pushes out the lead - see photo. The lead is encased in wood, which is irregular and looks to have been whittled down from a larger pencil. A jeweller tells me that the thing is made of gold - no hallmark or stamp of any kind though - and that the jewel on the slide is a ruby, the one on the end a diamond.

Can anyone tell me anything about this? When and where might it have been made? I had family members in India around 1910, and in the mid-19th century others travelled to Egypt. Could it be oriental? If anyone can tell me anything about its origins, or point me towards a source of information, I'd be very grateful. I know it's not a fountain pen, but the collective expertise of the people on the FPN is mind-boggling, so I figure someone might have some ideas.

Peter

Attached Images

• antique pencil.jpg

Sponsored Content

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pencil, gold, jewels, antique

Sponsored Content

|