Lamy Studio Stainless Grip - Yuck!

LizzieF

I've got a stainless steel Lamy Studio with a black rubberized grip that I bought some time ago. It's been put away for a while and today when I took off its cap, the grip is sticky and nasty to touch.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks - otherwise it's been a great pen.

Lizzie

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizzieF

• senzen

• migo984

• Mr.Rene

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a usual problem..sooner or later rubber in rubberized grip degrade...in my cheap pelikan pen I had to remove rubber from grip...maybe you must do the same in your Lamy..good luck... :thumbup:

Mine's fine but I wonder if there's something to "condition" the rubber, like an oil of some sort.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Yuk, I hate that sticky goo! I've had old computer joysticks and mice do that, as well as the dashboard of a golf mk4..

A short term solution is to clean it a bit, then add talkum powder. It usually lasts for a while, but needs to be reapplied. It's merely to get rid of the stickiness though.

The rubber hardener degrades, and the only definite solution I know it to remove the rubber altogether. It's usually a thin layer, and alcohol or solvent will usually get it off.

You can buy a replacement black section from Lamy dealers (at least you can here in the UK). I hate the slippery metal section on the racing green Studio so I bought a black one to swap in. I think it cost me about £7.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I have an old Aurora pen with a rubberized barrel and cap, which turned sticky after sitting in storage. I was able to remove the rubber with alcohol, but it left the surface discolored. (The barrel also cracked, so now the pen still writes but has sentimental value only).

Edited by ErrantSmudge

You can buy a replacement black section from Lamy dealers (at least you can here in the UK). I hate the slippery metal section on the racing green Studio so I bought a black one to swap in. I think it cost me about £7.

Any links to whoever sells these? Bureau direct did but they went out of business, I want one for a Black Studio who's section I managed to mangle.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Any links to whoever sells these? Bureau direct did but they went out of business, I want one for a Black Studio who's section I managed to mangle.

I got mine from The Writing Desk. If you send Martin an email Im sure hell be able to help.

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

A couple of months ago I think I saw a similar thread. IIRC correctly, the owner contacted Lamy and they replaced the section for him/her. Apparently it was a known problem in earlier versions of the pen. So perhaps you could contact Lamy before buying a new section.

The rubber grip was the reason I did not get the stainless steel studio but went with the Scala instead.

Rubber does eventually degrade. I have no issue with the chrome/shiny nib sections.

Even if Lamy did replace it, the postage to send the pen would not be far off £7.

Easier to just buy the grip yourself.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I did see that post about getting Lamy to replace the section but I got this pen quite a while ago.

I'll contact The Writing Desk; thanks.

I got mine from The Writing Desk. If you send Martin an email Im sure hell be able to help.

Thank you!

B. Russell

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a stainless steel Lamy Studio with a black rubberized grip that I bought some time ago. It's been put away for a while and today when I took off its cap, the grip is sticky and nasty to touch.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks - otherwise it's been a great pen.

Lizzie

Have you tried alcohol and a cotton ball?