Cs Barrel & Cap Materials

Inky-Republic

I've been trying to find out which CS models/years employed Casein as the barrel and cap material.

I've found some good reference works covering other aspects of Conway Stewart FP's, but nothing detailed as to the material (except perhaps that all Dinkie models are likely to be made from Casein).

Does anyone know of a reference list or book covering this info?

BTW, I wrote to the new manufacturers of Conway Stewart pens, but they had nothing to offer.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inky-Republic

• PaulS

• eachan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

quote ................ "BTW, I wrote to the new manufacturers of Conway Stewart pens, but they had nothing to offer." - unfortunate, but not overly surprising.

Assume you have access to both Steve Hull and Andy's books on CS and The Dinkie series.

May we ask please why this particular request:-) ?

I think Paul's answer covers it. The new manufacturers have nothing to do with the historical Conway Stewart company or pens.

Regards,

Eachan

quote ................ "BTW, I wrote to the new manufacturers of Conway Stewart pens, but they had nothing to offer." - unfortunate, but not overly surprising.

Assume you have access to both Steve Hull and Andy's books on CS and The Dinkie series.

May we ask please why this particular request:-) ?

I live over in Western Australia. If you go to a stationers here, chances are you'd have to explain what blotting paper is!

On the other hand you get a fair few Conway Stewart pens turn up at bargain prices in local deceased estate auctions and I've been buying a few of them plus the odd Waterman lately.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner which can make quick work of most jobs after I strip them, but I don't want to be soaking a Casein pen body in a tepid ultrasonic bath!

For the most part a good clean and a new ink sac will rustle you up a very nice pen for little outlay.

thanks for the explanation :-):-) - good to hear you are finding some nice CS examples. Taking a rather uneducated punt - re ascertaining whether Celluloid or Casein - how about the simple test of rubbing with a micro-polish liquid or similar …………. if the former then you will get high on that lovely addictive table tennis ball smell:-) ………….. casein presumably doesn't give an odour of anything.

CS had a massive export business selling to just about everywhere around the globe it seems - there's some interesting reading in Steve Hull's book on Conway Stewart regarding Oz and New Zealand.

Have finished refurbishing the CS model 70 I acquired for $8 at an auction.

As far as I can tell it's all original and it cleaned up OK.

Basically just fitted a new sac, then cleaned and polished to what you see in the photos.

The nib I would call an F (or even maybe an EF) and seems to write the same width line in any direction. It does provide a little feedback - as you'd expect from a fine tip but doesn't scratch.

There is not a hint of flex in the nib, although I have heard some say their model 70's are very flexible. That said, I have no idea as to what nib options were offered with this export model pen.

The pen itself is tiny (125 mm capped & 113 mm uncapped) and it feels like I'm trying to write with a match - but I understand there were a couple of CS's that were even smaller!

The feed is a miser, but keeps the pen writing continuously. I wouldn't like to keep this as en everyday writer, but it will be excellent for putting small comments in the margin of drawings and adding some fine detail.

Anyway, hope you like the photos.

post-148386-0-98331200-1558172950_thumb.jpg

post-148386-0-73551900-1558172998_thumb.jpg

post-148386-0-90656300-1558173017_thumb.jpg

post-148386-0-11384000-1558173041_thumb.jpg

assuming Oz dollars then you have a bargain at what would be something like a little over £4 Sterling - unfortunately, we can't buy them at those levels in the U.K. :D - looks to be a good pen - assume made sometime in the 1950s.

I think you need to have good writing skills to use F or EF - when I try those sort of nibs it looks like a spider has crawled across the page - I'm only any good with something wider and with flex.

Unlike M.T./Swan, for example, C.S., produced firm nibs generally, which again not everyone's cup of ink, but as a brand they have a very big following although as with most things it's usually the bigger more executive pens that collectors want. They made nibs specifically for manifold work when copying - like writing with a six inch nail - and others imprinted for shorthand, though don't know that those are much different to standard C.S. nibs - I very rarely find a C.S. nib with any flex.

I think there were quite a few small models, and in addition there are all the Dinkies etc. Regret I don't have an example of this model so can't comment, but others here are big collectors of the brand and may have some knowledge of flex nibs in the No. 70. Best of luck making footnotes. :)

Edited by PaulS

Not many folks in my area would dream of owning a fountain pen, if indeed they've ever seen one! Consequently they get past up at deceased estate auctions all the time - especially in country areas. Conway, Parker & Sheaffer are the makes most often seen at these events and most of them date back quite a few decades, to when ballpoints weren't around. Country people are very practical and careful with their money, so bidding for something that's not of immediate use just doesn't come naturally - whatever the price! I suspect once I retire, I'll buy up some of the better ones that come up for grabs and refurbish them. Could then offer them for sale on here or e-bay - and maybe add a bit of a top-up to my retirement income.

You're very fortunate! It's hard to find pens in the wild here and they're usually vastly over-priced. By the way, the Conway Stewart that you have is an "export only" model.

Regards,

Eachan