Sailor - Sou Boku - Mini Review And Comparison With Sei Boku

Intensity

[sigh]

I have been very happily using only one blue-black ink for years (Rohrer & Klingner Salix), but have also been coveting one other (Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite) for several years.

At Christmas I decided to treat myself to a bottle of the Tanzanite, in order to finally be rid of the nagging craving.

Within a month of doing so, I have found this thread, and now I find that I am coveting Sou Boku :(

I suppose it simply must be the case that the number of inks that one has in one’s possession is doomed to always be ‘n-1’, where ‘n’ is the number with which one would feel satisfied/sated.

:doh: :rolleyes:

"Possession is nothing. But absence has breath"

(You must get a bottle of Sou Boku though) :wub:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• Tas

• Caeruleum

• Intensity

"Possession is nothing. But absence has breath"

Possession is a very real phenomenon! :yikes:

(You must get a bottle of Sou Boku though)

"In the name of Njörðr, I compel you ..."

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 4 months later...

Great review! Just a few weeks ago I dived in the deep end of the Sailor ink pool and bought six 😳 bottles of seiboku. Ive finally found my perfect journal ink to match my Pilot 823. The shading is gorgeous on HP Premium 32 pound laser paper. I purchased a bottle each of souboku and kiwagro and like them too, just not as much as the seiboku.

Great review! Just a few weeks ago I dived in the deep end of the Sailor ink pool and bought six bottles of seiboku. Ive finally found my perfect journal ink to match my Pilot 823. The shading is gorgeous on HP Premium 32 pound laser paper. I purchased a bottle each of souboku and kiwagro and like them too, just not as much as the seiboku.

Six Bottles? Wow! I assume that might take a while to work through, but another nice thing about Japanese inks is that they don't have those pesky EU environmental rules: +1 for phenol to keep the crud away :-)

Six Bottles? Wow! I assume that might take a while to work through,

In retrospect, especially now that we know Rakuten Global Market is closing, I wish I bought more than my four bottles (one of which was already given away a 18 months ago as a Christmas present, which I suspect has never been used since, to the one and only fountain pen user outside of my wife in my 'immediate' family).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 2 weeks later...

In retrospect, especially now that we know Rakuten Global Market is closing, I wish I bought more than my four bottles (one of which was already given away a 18 months ago as a Christmas present, which I suspect has never been used since, to the one and only fountain pen user outside of my wife in my 'immediate' family).

Quite a few sellers will still proceed it outside rakuten. Also LCDC with a 20% coupon is quite close in price.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

Great comparison of Sou Boku and Sei Boku and review! I've been debating which one to get to add to my daily writer water resistant inks of Salix and Registrar's. I like the more blue Sei Boku to compliment the blue-black Salix and Registrar's.

Edited by Tasmith

Quite a few sellers will still proceed it outside rakuten. Also LCDC with a 20% coupon is quite close in price.

Buying a 50ml bottle of Sailor souboku ink today, ex VAT and with a 20% discount, works out to ¥1,900 (not including delivery, but of course I usually buy enough per order to qualify for free delivery).

Buying the same item from YouStyle on Rakuten Ichiba today would be ¥1,302 inclusive of Japan's domestic consumption tax and before any applicable discounts (not including delivery); I used to always buy when there was this promotion campaign or that which delivered a ≥10% discount. It's the delivery charges to Australia that really kills the bargain factor; even so, the marginal shipping cost (of adding a bottle of ink, at approximately 220g, to a parcel sent by EMS) is ¥400. So, buying from Rakuten would still be 10%-15% cheaper, after Japan Post EMS charges are taken into account, then buying from LCdC with 20% discount and free delivery; in both cases I would have to be buying other stuff already as well.

But I suppose (no sarcasm intended) that is, as you say, quite close, so thank you for pointing that out and I'll keep that in mind!

• 7 months later...

The Sou Boku will be my first regular ink. I will mostly use it for signing forms (I’m German 😂) and addressing envelopes. I’m intrigued.

On 5/23/2020 at 12:08 AM, Chuckie said:

Great review! Just a few weeks ago I dived in the deep end of the Sailor ink pool and bought six 😳 bottles of seiboku. Ive finally found my perfect journal ink to match my Pilot 823. The shading is gorgeous on HP Premium 32 pound laser paper. I purchased a bottle each of souboku and kiwagro and like them too, just not as much as the seiboku.

A long time since this was written... but how does one successfully clean an ink like Seiboku (and ink I own and like), out of a pen like the 823 (that I also happen to own and like)?

8 hours ago, RJS said:

A long time since this was written... but how does one successfully clean an ink like Seiboku (and ink I own and like), out of a pen like the 823 (that I also happen to own and like)?

No need 😊 once you fill the 823 with some, you’ll never need to use another ink in it 😂