The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

J. Herbin - Vert De Gris Mini Review

herbin vert de gris

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2019 - 18:59

Sometimes I get an ink and it exceeds all of my expectations.  Everything clicks, and I love it immediately.  That happened with J. Herbin's Vert de Gris.  It was the last of 5 Herbin inks from my recent order that I opened and tested, as I thought "well, it's just a tealy gray, how special can it be?"  I was wrong--it's very special!  Vert de Gris, along with Bleu des Profoundeurs, are exceptional recent additions to the standard line-up of J. Herbin inks.

Most here are probably well-familiar with J. Herbin inks in one form or another--the brand has been around for a very long time and offers inks in all colors of the rainbow, even with shimmer.  The standard line of J. Herbin inks has been known as safe and gentle to fountain pens, even vintage.  Saturation tends to be lower (thus easy flushing), and the formulations are advertised to be pH-neutral, though whether all the colors are close to pH-neutral has been contested by some.  In any event, I've never had any problems with  J. Herbin inks from their standard non-shimmer line, and since I own a bunch of vintage pens, I tend to go for more gentle inks.

But gentle does not need to be boring!  In fact, this ink is anything but boring.  The interesting thing about it is how beautifully rich and matte it looks in high quantity (such as with a flex nib), and its beautiful hue in person.  It looks especially good on ivory paper.  Water resistance is very respectable--the tealy-blue components wash off leaving highly legible dark gray line, and water does not reduce writing to a smeary mess.

If I'm going to fault this ink in one thing, it's that on worse paper it's more feathering prone than some other inks.  No problems with feathering on good fountain pen-friendly paper.

E1S5W3M.jpg

ZBcl0qj.jpg

Fm3GxTz.jpg

X9E5FD9.jpg

1QS5Cm3.jpg

VYSciI8.jpg

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Sponsored Content

#2 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,935 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 19:17

Thank you, great review. I already enjoy R&K Verdigris but I am under the impression this Vert de Gris might be closer to what I get with Bleu Austral, except I need to hack an Ambition with cellophane to get there, and it wants to veer towards the blue green it is. I have it in a wishlist, trying very hard not to pull the trigger. I need several other small things way more than ink number 30!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#3 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2019 - 19:21

I wish I could get Bleu Austral.  I check periodically if any vendor ships it to USA for reasonable price, but no luck so far.  Although I have a full bottle of KWZ Walk Over Vistula coming, after I loved my sample of it, so I think that will cover Bleu Austral-type color for me.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#4 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,935 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 19:41

I lucked out for once, a friend went precisely to the one store that sold Bleu Austral at the time. Some of these inks require various somersaults to get them, turns out it's easier to get Équinoxe 6 online in the US than in France.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#5 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2019 - 21:13

Thank you for a great presentation of a great ink. I like this one a lot too - one of my favourites. I’ve started to explore the J. Herbin Perles des Encres series, and am discovering that there is a lot to like.

#6 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2019 - 23:58

The Rohrer & klinger version of this is way too saturated. I should dilute it and see if it comes ccloser to this.

I like the washed out look of many Herbin inks. They're so easy to clean from pens, too.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#7 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:15

The Rohrer & klinger version of this is way too saturated. I should dilute it and see if it comes ccloser to this.

I like the washed out look of many Herbin inks. They're so easy to clean from pens, too.

The beauty of this ink is not just from the hue but also from its velvety matte appearance on the page once dried.  It's just really nice all-around.  Verdigris has fairly poor water resistance compared to Vert de Gris, and also I think it more vibrant than the Herbin ink.

#8 rosmarinaus

rosmarinaus

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2019 - 20:59

Thanks - I just got a sample of this ink. I love teals, esp. more subdued versions. I'm thinking this has more of a grayish undertone than Syo-Ro?

#9 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2019 - 23:42

Thanks - I just got a sample of this ink. I love teals, esp. more subdued versions. I'm thinking this has more of a grayish undertone than Syo-Ro?

Vert de Gris is more of a teal-tinted gray than a faded teal to me in person.  Syo-ro is pretty different, a more clean and vibrant green-teal.

Edited by Intensity, 17 May 2019 - 00:04.

#10 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• 5,122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:19

A lovely review of what I too feel is a lovely ink - a regular go to for correspondance on Tomoe River  :wub: 

#11 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,577 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2019 - 00:26

Great review. 

This is one of those colors that is too subtle for me, but I love yoru work.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#12 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,285 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:55

Excellent review!  This ink is a surprise to me.  I expected another boring blue-green color.  This seems to have a bit of life to it.  I may have to get a sample. 

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#13 MsRedpen

MsRedpen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2019 - 20:10

The beauty of this ink is not just from the hue but also from its velvety matte appearance on the page once dried.  It's just really nice all-around.  Verdigris has fairly poor water resistance compared to Vert de Gris, and also I think it more vibrant than the Herbin ink.

Oh you enabler...
(Why did I get just 10 ml bottle when above description was sooo accurate?)

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

#14 LobsterRoll

LobsterRoll

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2019 - 21:36

Thank you for this very nice review. I don't look for water resistance specifically, but that it has it is a nice feature. I suspect I will get a bottle of this in the near future...

#15 DilettanteG

DilettanteG

Harmless Dilettante

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2020 - 18:44

Thanks for the great review. I now have a bottle on the way.

#16 timotheap

timotheap

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2020 - 13:31

Beautiful review, thank you !!! I've wanted to get my hands on a bottle for some time now. 

#17 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• 5,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:16

~ Herbin Vert De Gris was recommended to me by Ghost Plane.

It was very nice of her to suggest it, as it's an outstanding ink.

Tom K.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: herbin, vert de gris

Sponsored Content

|