The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

What Is The Definition Of A "cheap/inexpensive" Fountain Pen?

fountain pens cheap inexpensive

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:54

Bargain Basement : under $5 shipped.
Cheap: under $20
Moderate: $20-60 or so
Expensive:$100+

I'm mostly going off common sense prices of fountain pens as utencils. Most people outside the fountain pen hobby would not justify a fountain pen of $100 and above. Some might rationalize specifically Montblanc pens as a status symbol / object that dictates certain level of well-to-do and professionalism.

They might rethink that last statement (the part about professionalism) if they look at some of the overly tacky LE pens....  :rolleyes: 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sponsored Content

#42 Intensity

Intensity

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:13

That's true.  I'm thinking more of the standard black (146, 149) with recognizable snowcap top, peeking out of a shirt pocket or something like that.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

(quote source)

#43 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:56

That's true.  I'm thinking more of the standard black (146, 149) with recognizable snowcap top, peeking out of a shirt pocket or something like that.

Before I knew what high end fp's cost (until I was 50, iow), I never would have guessed, nor known, what a fp with a white star top was... And certainly not what it cost. One thing I have learned through all this is how much money some people carry in the form of pens on their pockets or bags. But I don't think that many people actually know, so they can't be all that "impressed." No one at my job has any idea (teaching school). They are shocked by the $90 I spent on my Decimo. :)

#44 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2019 - 00:39

Before I knew what high end fp's cost (until I was 50, iow), I never would have guessed, nor known, what a fp with a white star top was... And certainly not what it cost. One thing I have learned through all this is how much money some people carry in the form of pens on their pockets or bags. But I don't think that many people actually know, so they can't be all that "impressed." No one at my job has any idea (teaching school). They are shocked by the $90 I spent on my Decimo. :)

You scored a Decimo for only $90?!  Dang!  Nice score.... :notworthy1: 

But what you said really does seem to be the case.  A friend of mine got a 1990s era Pelikan M200 for me as a gag gift (she saw it on Freecycle a few years ago because it had the Bayer logo on it); I don't think she had any idea what it was actually worth -- especially since it was clearly NOS, never inked by the original owner.  And even more especially because of the thought behind the gift.  :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#45 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:17

Those are truly the best pens in one's collection.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#46 miwishi63

miwishi63

AZPenGuy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2019 - 00:06

The pens I value the most are the ones I inherited from my great-grandparents, none of which are worth a great deal of money, but are nonetheless invaluable to me.

#47 Noihvo

Noihvo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2019 - 14:22

fpn_1559226118__img_5137.jpg

fpn_1559226132__img_5138.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Are you looking for a custom bound book? Check out my Etsy page.

#48 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:59

Interesting conversation and much of what has been said fits how I personally treat the difference between cheap and inexpensive. My collection of roughly 40 pens includes five of $100 or more and another seven between $50 and $100. Some of the "best" buys I have made over the years are a Pelikan M200 blue marbled (old style) with an OB nib for $46, and a Pelikan 120 Merz & Krell with an M nib from the 70's for $17.50. Both piston filler pens.

I do have a pair of Pelikan Jazz Elegance (one white, one black) M nib, that were $14.99 each including a 6 pak of cartridges for each. Not a bad pen, would be a pretty decent "first pen" for someone. 

I have three or four Esterbrook J's I paid more than that 120 for.

All these I consider inexpensive not cheap.

I have a few pens I got for free as part of a PIF in most cases, and in varying conditions. Most are in a range I would call inexpensive rather than cheap. Even the under $20 pens including freebies.

Edited by Runnin_Ute, 24 June 2019 - 02:03.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fountain pens, cheap, inexpensive

Sponsored Content

|