Platinum Izumo Vs Nakaya

wolavers

I got a Izumo, thought it didnt feel special enough, bought a nakaya, and now Im in the process of discovering whats so special about it...

I would go for another brand first.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• biancitwo

• wolavers

• sandy101

• whichwatch

I got a Izumo, thought it didnt feel special enough, bought a nakaya, and now Im in the process of discovering whats so special about it...

I would go for another brand first.

You also said last November:

25 November 2018 - 09:27: Ive never had a platinum or nakaya, in the last month Ive received a platinum soft fine and a nakaya soft medium... had to send both back for inconsistent writing. Im surprised when people say platinum and nakaya have such good qc, theyre hand adjusted before shipping, etc... even the seller admitted other customers are reporting similar problems with their nakaya nibs ;(

Your’s is a very limited experience. I have had two Nakayas and three Platinum 3776s. Still a very small sampling. But, all five arrived with excellent nibs. I don’t care for the Platinum soft fine, and probably not a Nakaya soft fine. But, the Nakaya soft medium is outstanding. The Platinum broads, one of which is now a Pendleton Brown CI, are outstanding. My Nakaya broad, now a Mottishaw CI is also superb.

I am sorry for your experience, but it bears no resemblance to mine, or to virtually any of the Nakaya related posts I’ve read.

Thats why Im surprised and I wonder whats so special about them. Dont take it as an insult to the brand or anything, Id love to feel what you feel. I craved for an urushi pen and when I got it I just didnt know why everyone said its apecial.

I will keep on using it to see if this feeling changes.

I will keep on using it to see if this feeling changes.

Which Nakaya do you have, and which nib?

I love Nakaya cos 1) urushi (beautiful!) and 2) the Piccolo model (so comfortable to write with).

I've tried someone else's Izumo and found it comfortable, too, but I prefer the smaller Piccolo.

Those are my reasons. (My favorite nibs are by Pilot.)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Thanks, everyone. I went into this thinking I would get the Izumo because it's the more affordable of the two, but think I'll spring for the Nakaya. I appreciate all the feedback.

Never thought I'd spend this much money for a pen, but here we are.

Thanks, everyone. I went into this thinking I would get the Izumo because it's the more affordable of the two, but think I'll spring for the Nakaya. I appreciate all the feedback.

Never thought I'd spend this much money for a pen, but here we are.

We look forward to photo and writing sample.

The hardest part of buying -one- Nakaya is choosing the urushi finish. Thus... I have more than one.

I didn't buy them at the same time, though. And it got to the point where I was judging other purchases by the cost in (standard, pre-metal-threads) Nakayas. "[item] is two-and-a-half Nakayas" or [item] is about point-three Nakayas."

But that was several years ago. Nakaya helped me curtail pen purchasing... until I finally bought a Pilot 912 (PO) about three years ago (roughly about one-fifth Nakaya) and realized I'd found my perfect nib.

Still dreaming about putting that nib into one of my Nakayas, but that's a separate topic.

But, yeah... that willingly and even joyfully paying that much money for a PEN (it's a PEN!) sneaks up on you. It's crazy, unthinkable, one moment, and then... eight Nakayas later....

Good luck!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

But, yeah... that willingly and even joyfully paying that much money for a PEN (it's a PEN!) sneaks up on you. It's crazy, unthinkable, one moment, and then... eight Nakayas later....

Good luck!

I bought an Izumo Maki-e years ago and I still have it.

I bought a Nakaya years ago. Now I currently have more than 30.

I bought a Nakaya years ago. Now I currently have more than 30.

These pens are addictive. Sounds like we need Nakaya Anonymous.

Now, what would a $1,000 dollar bag of chips taste like?

Not as good as you would think or hope. It's the $2000 bag of chips that's really good and satisfying.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Not as good as you would think or hope. It's the $2000 bag of chips that's really good and satisfying.

My two $600 “bag of chips” are marvelous. I can’t imagine a $2,000 bag.

My two $600 “bag of chips” are marvelous. I can’t imagine a $2,000 bag.

Yes, I heard that the $2,000 bags were jewellery to adorn coffee tables, placed in handmade walnut bowls. To get the true experience of eating chips, one needs to go for the $1 dollar bags - anything more and your are only fooling yourself that you are getting a better experience.

I'm going to eat my MB bag during Eurovision tomorrow. It's packed in fresh alpine air and when you open the bag, you can hear cowbells.

I'm going to eat my MB bag during Eurovision tomorrow. It's packed in fresh alpine air and when you open the bag, you can hear cowbells.

I'm jealous that the cowbells only speak to you!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I've decided bagged chips are for the hoi polloi. I only eat hand carved crisps made from Ammarnäs potatoes which, are hand-harvested from the hillside town bearing their name. Carving and flavoring is done to my specifications by 90 year old retired kettle masters and each chip/flavor combination is limited to 5 total production. I stopped eating the chips years ago and now just collect and admire them and post about them on Instagram.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Never had a Nakaya, but I have an Izumo that I bought in a deal some years ago and never inked. Ive dipped it in ink and wrote with it and its an excellent nib. Not sure Ill keep it (bought it as a reward for something that hasnt come to pass yet), partly because people seem down on it. I think its beatiful, though and a great entry into urushi pens. Not sure why a Nakaya would be worth more, but as I said, Ive never owned one. Then again, I cant imagine spending Nakaya-like money on any fountain pen.

No signature. I'm boring that way.

Not sure why a Nakaya would be worth more, but as I said, Ive never owned one. Then again, I cant imagine spending Nakaya-like money on any fountain pen.

It's worth more because others are prepared to pay more for it, but that's not a statement of inherent value. Not that I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a pen — as I have already done so, several times — but I'm happy with the akatame and soratame Izumo pens I bought, and I don't see the 'regular edition' Nakaya models as an improvement on those, until one gets to the really fancy and artistic finishes on the 'special edition' models. Now, if the Nakaya pens came with Naginata nibs (or something similar), that'd be a different story.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.