List Of Nibs That Fit In The Jinhao X450 Or X750.

Candlejackstraw

Anyone know which nibs fit in the Jinhao x450 or x750? So far I only know of the Zebra G and the Goulet nib.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Candlejackstraw

• mke

• JollyCynic

• Enkida

Searching first Google and FPN would be plus. There is extensive info available.

Basically all Jowo #6 based nibs, sold by e.g. by fpnibs.com, Franklin-Christoph, Goulet and others, can be used.

Bock #6 I didn't check

Searching first Google and FPN would be plus. There is extensive info available.

Basically all Jowo #6 based nibs, sold by e.g. by fpnibs.com, Franklin-Christoph, Goulet and others, can be used.

Bock #6 I didn't check

Yup yup. Been doing alot of googling, but mainly goulet is what is showing up. I did find out that noodlers uncut nibs are #6s as well?

Bock #6 I didn't check

I did read that goulets may be rebranded jowo?

Most/All nibs which fit a Jinhao X450, X750 or 159 are rebranded Jowos.

It's rare to find a size 6 nib that won't fit. I've used Bock, Fulin, and generic IPG, which aren't JoWo. Italix use two types of size 6 nibs, one of which is a rebranded JoWo, and one which is a rebranded Jinhao/Baoer, so obviously those work. I also use PenBBS nibs without trouble, but others have stated that it's not possible, so your mileage may vary.

The FPR nibs are among the exceptions, and need modifying to fit per this thread.

It's rare to find a size 6 nib that won't fit. I've used Bock, Fulin, and generic IPG, which aren't JoWo. Italix use two types of size 6 nibs, one of which is a rebranded JoWo, and one which is a rebranded Jinhao/Baoer, so obviously those work. I also use PenBBS nibs without trouble, but others have stated that it's not possible, so your mileage may vary.

The FPR nibs are among the exceptions, and need modifying to fit per this thread.

Alot of these words are foreign to me lmao, what does the acronym IPG stand for? Im guessing all those other nibs i would want to try and find on ebay? I was just looking into FPR nibs thinking I found the solution.. but now ill need to read the thread you just linked.

Non-flex FPR no. 6 nibs do fit without needing any fancy grinding or bending modifications in my experience (which is with 3 Jinhao x750s and an FPR stub, EF, and F nib).

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Non-flex FPR no. 6 nibs do fit without needing any fancy grinding or bending modifications in my experience (which is with 3 Jinhao x750s and an FPR stub, EF, and F nib).

How do you like the FPR stub and EF nibs? Also that free pen that comes with FPR orders... is it worth it?

I tried 2 Bock nibs from Karas Kustoms on an x750 and it wouldn't wouldn't work even after trying them on a second x750.

Don't get the Noodler's #6 nibs. They are awful beyond imagination.

FPR nibs aren't bad, but you get what you pay for and they may not fit. It's not worth wasting the money especially with how much better a Jowo nib is.

Knox nibs are OK, but they don't flow near as reliably nor as good as a Jowo nib in a Jinhao.

I honestly recommend getting a #6 Jowo from Goulet. I picked a couple up from FPnibs and they were pretuned with extra feedback that dragged terribly.

Jinhao's work best with Jowo's, period. I personally don't think it's worth experimenting beyond that.

If you're new to fountain pens, enjoy a Jinhao-Jowo or a beginner pen that fits, get a good smooth ink (Iroshizuku's are to die for and Sailor is a "the-best"), get used to the fountain pens and writing with them, but make your way to a proper gold nib without wasting time with steel nibs and beginner pens. Gold nibs are worth the saving.

How do you like the FPR stub and EF nibs? Also that free pen that comes with FPR orders... is it worth it?

Well, first, the pics or it didn't happen post with writing samples:

750s.jpg

Compared to the poorly standardized "M" nibs that came loaded on the Jinhaos, FPR nibs are a revelation and make these pens actually enjoyable to use. I bought these pens in a bundle pack to try the Zebra-G mod (which I enjoyed, but recognized the limitations of), and I felt bad about "wasting" the remaining 3 pens, which is what I would have done without the FPR nibs because I truly don't like the Jinhao standard nibs.

While it may be that the ink I used is particularly wet in the EF nib, I didn't really see a discernable difference between the F and EF sized nibs from FPR. Both the F and the EF nibs are wonderful in Jinhaos, because the Jinhao feed is so wet that it makes a smooth writing experience even with the finer line. In terms of line width, I would say it's comparible to a TWSBI Eco Fine (both of them). In terms of "feedback" - you do get it, the good sort. It reminds me a little of the feedback I get on my vintage Japanese gold F-nibbed Pilot; the Pilot is actually a little rougher, but it's going in the same direction: like writing with a sharpened pencil on paper. Just enough feedback to make you feel like you have control of the situation and you're not going to slide off the page. If you're a fan of glassy smooth writers, then these nibs are probably not for you though. They do give that (satisfying) sensation of feeling the paper you're writing on. I tried in on Leuchtturm and Oxford Optik, for the record.

As for the stub nib - it's a gusher, wow. The stub just spits ink everywhere in a Jinhao. I actually managed to write about one and a half A4 sized pages before the feed started having problems keeping up with the nib's gushiness; nothing drastic, a simple dip in water seemed to solve the problem. Also this was with Diamine Skull & Roses, which is a bit of a saturated, not so well lubricated ink because of all that concentrated sheen, so that may have had something to do with it. Personally, I like the stub, but as a sort of "broad nib with character." I wouldn't use it to try doing italic calligraphy because it's not precise enough. It really is a broad nib's refined brother. If you like that, you'll like this. If you like real italic nibs, you won't like this. If you don't like broad nibs or gushy wet writers, you'll probably want to pass on the stub. The vertical drawn line with the stub is really 1.0mm, horizontal it reaches about a Lamy Fine width, and with some pressure you can achieve greater line variation with the stub without even coming close to springing the nib, but ... why would you do that to yourself with a stub? :P

In terms of value, it depends what your litmus is. I'm in Germany, so I made a hefty order to get the free shipping and test their flex nibs without any fiddling (2 Himalayas on top of the nibs), and I still got hit with an extra 13€ of customs anyway. I threw in the nibs as a way to try to amp up the Jinhaos without having to spend at least 20€ minimum on each of them for a new nib from the nib dealers I know of around here. I know you get what you pay for and the 20€-or-more nibs I could get here would probably be nicer, but that wasn't my goal. I don't generally like the weight and heft of a Jinhao x750, so I didn't want to invest that much in them, nevermind gold nibs. I also think the Jinhao x750 bodies are not constructed for long term daily use, and fully expect the finish on them to come chipping or peeling off at some point in time down the road, too. So in that sense, I think the FPR nibs are excellent values for the Jinhaos; they're cheap, they perform well, they "match" the price class of these pens and turn them into acceptable if not good writers for a bargain price.

I do agree that the fine gold nib writer pens you can get from other companies that come in starting at 75€ and upwards will write much more nicely than any Jinhao-FPR frankenpen you can cobble together. But those aren't bargain writers, they're investments. If you only want to experiment with questions like "do I like writing with a stub nib or an italic nib?" or "do I prefer a medium or a fine nib?" the FPR nibs are a great way to do that.

I'm satisfied with having made 3 previously unusable pens usable for me; it's a little more expensive than I would have liked with the customs fee, but still totally reasonable, especially as I got all this during the Easter sale. FPR has sales fairly often, so you can probably get a good deal on these nibs if you want to experiment.

As for the eyedropper MUFE pen - at least with Diamine Skull and Roses, it's worthless for the moment. It writes wonderfully for 1-4 A5 sized pages, then experiences ink starvation and needs to be dipped / shaken / coaxed into writing again. The nib is as good as the other FPR nibs, so I'd still throw one in for that, but it doesn't write consistently enough for me to consider it useful, at least not with this ink.

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Alot of these words are foreign to me lmao, what does the acronym IPG stand for? Im guessing all those other nibs i would want to try and find on ebay? I was just looking into FPR nibs thinking I found the solution.. but now ill need to read the thread you just linked.

IPG is Iridium Point Germany, a phrase on a lot of generic Chinese nibs with no relation to anything German. I've seen some that dropped the 'Germany' bit altogether and just say Iridium Point on them. You don't really gain much on them over stock Jinhao nibs, and are generally only useful if you've damaged a nib or want to practise grinding, but hate the look of Jinhao nibs. There's nothing wrong with JoWo nibs, though, so if they're convenient to get a hold of, give them a go.

IPG is Iridium Point Germany, a phrase on a lot of generic Chinese nibs with no relation to anything German. I've seen some that dropped the 'Germany' bit altogether and just say Iridium Point on them. You don't really gain much on them over stock Jinhao nibs, and are generally only useful if you've damaged a nib or want to practise grinding, but hate the look of Jinhao nibs. There's nothing wrong with JoWo nibs, though, so if they're convenient to get a hold of, give them a go.

Actually that term come from historical business ties , that during a long period from late 70's to early Y2K many Chinese fountain pen Mfr do actually import and use German nibs and later quite a wholesale buy out of machinery to manufacture the nibs and shipped back to China, AFAIK, the Germany part remain simply because the die used in the manufacturing ( and stash of stock of them ) remain and was simply used, at the time it was an indication of the nib model somewhat as Chinese Mfr manufacture many different type of nib and many are just not fitting the kind of feed where these more generic nib would go; say the typical Hero 241/441/841 nib or the Wing Sung 200 series nib had all the same diameter feed but simply will not fit, ditto others.

Of course nowadays its just historical relics and while Hero still had plenty of their unique nibs that fit their own and their own only, most others just choose to use generic ones

Edited by Mech-for-i

Can anyone confirm if Nemosine #6 nib will fit also?

Yep. Jowo, Nemosine and Knox all work just peachy in my x750's.

> Nemosine and Knox

I was told they are actually Jowo nibs.

• 3 weeks later...

> Nemosine and Knox

I was told they are actually Jowo nibs.

In correspondence with Nick at Birmingham Pens he confirmed that Nemosine is made by Jowo. His brother is the owner of Nemosine.