Need Help With Waterman Nib

Iur

Hello everyone,

I bought a Waterman Kultur for 11 in unknown condition and received it today.

It turns out it has an M nib, which seems to be more uncommon than the F version.

However, the pen would not write no matter what I did.

I flushed, cleaned the pen and inserted a brand new Pelikan 4001 Black ink cartridge.

I then discovered that the nib simply could not write as there was some kind of flow issue (I cannot easily elaborate as I am still a bit green when it comes to explaining some pen-related topics in English).

I attempted to relieve pressure by raising the nib (as I did not have anything appropriate to separate the tines) and flexed the pen a little.

Now I can write with very occasional skipping, but I fear I may have damaged the nib, although probably only slightly, as now the nib has a sort of 'bump', warp, or bent between the ball tip and the rest of the nib body. Or, to be more precise, it is more raised/pointing upwards than before when it comes to the tip part of the nib.

I have uploaded high-res pictures to IMGUR (hope linking is not against forum rules - in case it is, I can post pictures through other means):

https://imgur.com/a/1bHfHPL

I can see just a hint of light through that space, so there is some space which I am assuming is essential to the writing, but I know nothing of working out nibs and such.

I am probably worrying for nothing, as the pen nib was not exactly superb when it arrived and the pen has probably been idle for quite some years, but...

What can I do to try and remove skipping and to straighten the nib tip overall?

Thank You

Rui (Iur)

Edited by Iur

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Iur

• Bo Bo Olson

• senzen

• ardene

Update: I have been writing more Pages today with the Kultur and skipping is gone.

As for the nib, I now think it is only an aesthetic issue and that I should not concern myself any longer with it, as it is problem-free now. I guess I was a bit hasty with my post yesterday.

No big deal....glad your pen's working. I'd not noticed quite the 'bend' you had seen, so am glad it's not a problem.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Good to hear it worked out in the end; sometimes all that is needed is a little patience.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell