The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ink Flow Randomly Stops Halfway Down The Page

ink flow

3 replies to this topic

#1 LittleP13

LittleP13

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2019 - 14:23

I have a Caran d'Ache 849 and it is having issues writing continuously. I find that it starts out strong and wet after resting flat or even nib-side up, but after 1/4-1/2 page, the ink flow slows and sometimes stops. I have to unscrew the pen and squeeze the ink cartridge to get it going again.

I have changed the ink 3 times, flushed and soaked. 

What is happening??!1?

Sponsored Content

#2 steve50

steve50

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2019 - 22:42

It's probably ink sticking on the cartridge if you know what I mean. Try using a converter. I have a pen with this problem and I just give it a gentle shake when it happens. Doesn't bother me too much.

#3 jekostas

jekostas

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:28

The pen is pulling ink out of the reservoir faster than air can be replaced, causing a vacuum that impedes capillary flow.  The nib needs to be tuned to write a little drier.  This is not an uncommon problem with very wet writing pens.

#4 Inky-Republic

Inky-Republic

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:09

Yep, got the same problem with my CS Winston. Vacuum in the filler is just too effective and I have to twist the knob to get things going again (else leave it to sit for a while).

Shame, since it's a great pen otherwise. If I only used this pen to sign cheques of course - I'd be fine!

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink flow

Sponsored Content

|