The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Cleaning Out A Parker Reflex

parker reflex cleaning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dip n Scratch

Dip n Scratch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2019 - 23:13

The pen has been allowed to dry out twice & I wondered if it is possible to extract the nib & feed to give the assembly a good scrub.

If that is not possible. How strong a cleaning agent can I use apart from dish soap?

It has not been left with something nasty inside it, like Diamine Registrars Ink, just bog-standard dye-based ink.

I did the trick with very dilute Ammonia solution to clean a '51's innards.

However... The Reflex is not made of quite such good materials.

The pen has some minor sentimental value, but it was only £12.50 back in December 2004.

BTW it was made in Newhaven. I really liked it for the grip.

Sponsored Content

#2 Mr.Rene

Mr.Rene

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:40

Ammonia could damage rubber in the grip section...best regards... :thumbup:

#3 Dip n Scratch

Dip n Scratch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:00

So... It's just dish washing liquid in solution to clean the pen. Can it be dismantled?

Or maybe the pen was regarded as disposable & you can't dismantle it.

I said the pen had some mild sentimental value... It is just that after a protracted period of unemployment I found work in November 2004. After getting my first pay cheque a month later I bought the Reflex. It made me feel good, buying it with money I just made........

The thing has flow issues. I want to eliminate the possibility of gunk in the feed before I molest it with the brass shim or give it any attention with the 'mesh. Things have progressed since 2004 & you can have a Jinhao X450 for half the price that writes better and also takes international cartridges as well as being supplied with a converter as standard. You can still buy BNIB Reflex's off ebay. I looked last night.

It had better start behaving itself, because there is grandfather  looking on disapprovingly: An Aerometric '51.

If not the Reflex gets tossed. I have a whole bunch of other pens, but those aren't Parkers.

#4 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,043 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2019 - 21:11

It's certainly possible to haul out point and feed; it's not just made of lower-grade materials, it's got extremely basic anatomy. If the pen has dried out, however, there may be some difficulty in doing so without a bit of a soak in something first. I'd say if it is likely to take harm from a soak, duration is going to be at least as much of a culprit as the mixture... but now that I cast my mind back to messing around with a Reflex, you may want to try slipping the rubbery grip off first.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#5 Dip n Scratch

Dip n Scratch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2019 - 18:08

Does your Reflex always hard-start & cease writing at random intervals & then you have to shake it to make it re-start?

The ink is in a converter. I first I thought it was just because I had put on a cartridge, so I filled the pen from a bottle instead.

#6 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,043 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2019 - 21:52

I don't have a lot of love for the Reflex, to be honest. I have two, one of which someone gave me to practice flow adjustments on because it never wrote properly (and more than a decade later STILL doesn't; similar symptoms to what you describe), the other of which I set aside when the cap cracked in five places as it sat in a drawer. There's inexpensive pens that are more durable and less frustrating.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, reflex, cleaning

Sponsored Content

|