Odd Sheaffer Pfm Or Is It ?

Paul80

Hi all

Just stumbled across this odd PFM listed on the BayofEvil

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153477958319

Visually it seems to slim to be a PFM, more like an imperial.

It does not have a Snorkel sack protector, again more like an Imperial.

The feed is part of the section moulding but it does have a hole for a Snorkel, although the snorkel tube looks to be flat ended rather than angled.

Anyone know what it is.

Thanks

Paul

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul80

• Ron Z

• PaulS

• RedRinger

Top Posters In This Topic

very interesting - flying a kite really, but reading Richard Binders comments on the PFM, he mentions models other than the usual Mks. 1 - V that we are accustomed to seeing. I can't see if there is a gilt tassie on the blind cap here - the Mk. V should have one, so should the Mk. IV, and apparently the Mk. VII does too, but would agree that the sac protector does look to be wrong for the PFM.

Unfortunately, most pix of pens don't show the underside of the feed, which might have helped possibly. At that price perhaps you should buy this one - might be deadly rare :)

Edited by PaulS

It's not a PFM. The profile is too slim, and what is in the hole on the underside of the nib unit is not a snorkel tube - which would be angled at the end and not cut square. The blind cap on a PFM does not have threads like this one does either. Note that the sac guard has no threads on it so that turning the grip knob and TD tube could move the sac guard, and therefore a snorkel tube forward and back.

It's a Touchdown Imperial.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

That a very odd design feed though, its part of the section, not seen that design on any imperial. (Not that I have seen them all, have you seen that before Ron?

The Dolphins were a bit like that with the section covering the feed and going right up to the bottom of the nib.

What would the hole in the feed be for on an imperial?

Perhaps its some super rare Imperial Snorkel that never went into production

It's a Touchdown Imperial. No snorkel, as Ron says, because apart from anything else, it would be out when the barrel was off and there would be a spring. I do admit it looks like there is a metal lining to the filling aperture.

It's Australian production, and as we know, the branch factories tried out different ways of doing things from time to time. I'd want to see a few more Aussie touchdowns before committing to saying it is a prototype.

Ralf

There are weird variants that slipped out from time to time. USA production had a few, but more common on pens made outside of the US. Like I said in another thread today, if we see something unusual in a Canadian production pen we go <shrug>. The same applies to Australian,

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I say, sir! Are you casting aspersions on the character of my nation, with your "something unusual" and your "weird variants"? There can be only one response to such an outrage:

fpn_1557269413__canadians-are-weird-prin

Edit to add:

Sorry.

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I found the Canadians in Ottawa to be kind and friendly. I thought about moving there.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The price suddenly dropped to a tenner

I will let you know what I find when (If) it turns up B)

Paul

Well it turned up and yes its an Imperial (maybe a VIII) Due to the gold cap?

It's in need of a full service as the sac and seals are shot.

I now understand that design of hood is not quite as uncommon as I thought although its still the only one I have seen even after viewing loads of pictures on T Net ;) . Anyone else seen that design of hood, covering the feed up to the underside of the nib, apparently like it was on the Dolphin models Sheaffer produced.

It has a couple of dents in the hood but they should come out once I get the clutch out.

Still an interesting variant of the Imperial and I nice addition to my growing collection of my favourite Sheaffer pen and for under a tenner what's not to like.

Paul

Yeah that hole in the feed looks to me like it's snorkel-ready. How odd!