The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Can You Recommend A Blue Ink?

left handed quink permanent blue saturated

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 lukeformosa

lukeformosa

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 14:26

A colleague showed me his Twsbi Eco and I was so impressed by the piston-filler concept, it re-kindled my love of fountain pens after a 4-year hiatus. Now I need a nice blue ink to go with it :).

I've been using Parker Quink permanent blue for most of my life and I love it. My other favourite ink is Waterman Florida blue (last bottle I purchased was in 2009 so I still use the old name in my head  ;) ).

Looking for an ink that's slightly less "purple" and more "blue" than these, with the following qualities:

1. Quick-drying (I'm left-handed)
  2. Wet/smooth feel of nib on paper (I currently use a Lamy EF nib)
  3. Saturated/strong colour. I don't like dilute inks that show shading (I dislike Quink washable blue and Pelikan 4001 Blue for this reason)
  4. Won't stain the polycarbonate barrel of the Twisbi (hence my hesitation to try anything by Noodler's)
  5. Won't fade over time (Quink washable blue was notorious for this, school notes would be grey by the time I needed to study from them a year later)

Regarding the shade of blue, - something that's more light/blue than the Quink/Waterman, but far from torquise (I use it for work so it has to look "serious"). No darker colours - I'm not a fan of "murky" hues like Quink blue-black, much prefer pure blue or pure black.

Sponsored Content

#2 aurore

aurore

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 16:11

Wet + saturated + quick drying is a kind of a contradiction.
In general I would recommend Diamine Oxford Blue if it was really quick drying (which it is not).
Actually I like the same sort of inks that you described but I am afraid it is a tough job to find any. Maybe some Noodler's but I am not a fan of the brand so can't recommend any particular.

Edited by aurore, 06 May 2019 - 16:14.

#3 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2019 - 17:24

There are no shortcuts to finding your favorite shade of blue, lol. I say this rather playfully, as it's my favorite color and there's SO many blues out there...

I'd start ordering samples based off ink swabs (Goulet and Anderson Pens both do samples and I'm sure there are others; Goulet has an ink swab comparison tool to help you choose).

My favorites are Sailor Bung Box Hatsukoi (aka Sapphire), Noodler's Liberty's Elysium, and a mix I made from a 1:1 ratio of Iroshizuku Kon Peki and Iroshizuku Asa gao. An honorable mention goes to Asa gao, but it's more of a blurple and you indicated you weren't really looking for that.

#4 Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2019 - 17:50

You might look at Diamine Blue Velvet, Monteverde Sapphire, and Monteverde Horizon Blue. All three of these inks are strong, saturated blues, and well behaved. Blue Velvet and Horizon Blue are often suggested as potential substitutes for the oft lamented Holy Grail of Blue inks for some, Parker Penman Sapphire. Blue Velvet seems to fall in between Mont Sapphire and Horizon Blue to my eye on most papers I write on. As far as some of the specifics of drying time, that will depend on paper and nib as well as ink. I’ve used all three inks many times, a d have seen no staining to date. Regarding durability, you’ll need to spend some time researching that. The suggested Oxford Blue is a beauty, but is a very dark ink.

#5 1nkulus

1nkulus

Thought2Papier via Ink2Pen

• Member - Gold

• 2,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2019 - 19:06

You can look at ink reviews on FPN before ordering a sample.

There are no shortcuts to finding your favorite shade of blue, lol. I say this rather playfully, as it's my favorite color and there's SO many blues out there...

I'd start ordering samples based off ink swabs (Goulet and Anderson Pens both do samples and I'm sure there are others; Goulet has an ink swab comparison tool to help you choose).

+1

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

#6 Fuzzy_Bear

Fuzzy_Bear

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 23:45

Texas Bluebonnet and Blue Steel. Both from Dromgooles. The Bluebonnet is a lighter color and will shade with a wide enough nib.
The glory of the young is their strength; the gray hair of experience is the splendor of the old.

#7 RudraDev

RudraDev

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:55

You should try Deatramentis document inks.

#8 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:56

Texas Bluebonnet and Blue Steel. Both from Dromgooles. The Bluebonnet is a lighter color and will shade with a wide enough nib.

Texas Blue Bonnet is my personal all-time favorite blue ink.  However, it's relatively high-maintenance, and it doesn't really match some of the other points that Luke asked for.  It's not particularly fast-drying, and it's a fairly dark blue.  I mean, not blue-black, but. . .  dark.

#9 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:02

I'll toss out some suggestions. . .

I'm not sure where you got the impression that Noodler's stains more than other brands, but that is not the case.  It won't be a problem in your TWSBI.  If fast drying is your priority, you might try Noodler's Luxury Blue.  If you want something that's an attractive, saturated-but-not-too-dark blue and feels smooth when writing, then Noodler's American Eel Blue might do the trick.

If you want maximum blue color saturation, there is Monteverde Horizon Blue.  You might find you get too much of a good thing, though.  I ended up having to dilute mine!

Diamine Asa Blue is another all-around good and well behaved pure blue ink.  It really has no eccentricities, and sometimes that's for the best.

#10 lukeformosa

lukeformosa

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 22:03

It's nice to see that I've started a lively discussion 😁.

To put "quick drying" in context, I've been writing with Parker Permanent Blue for over 15 years with no smudging. I've also written many years with Waterman Florida blue with no noticeable difference in smudging tendency. I wrote "quick drying" as my first point because I noticed in some sample swabs the ink still smudges after 30 seconds. My left hand will very likely smudge such an ink during normal writing if I tried to use it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I actually planned to get a number of samples and a dip pen to test them all before I buy a bottle.

Since I'm in Europe, unfortunately Goulet is too expensive because of shipping and customs. After testing all the vendors who ship to Malta I've identified "The Writing Desk" as the site with the cheapest samples and biggest selection. My usual online store (Pen Heaven) came a very close second. Many samples are 1.50 so I can afford to sample up to around 10 colours. The motivation of
this thread is to narrow down which ones 😁.

Haven't bought the Twsbi yet, was planning to order it with the dip pen and the samples to save shipping costs.

Actually I know this is the ink sub-forum but does anyone have an opinion on the twisbi eco vs. the eco-t? I'm leaning towards the T because it's newer (and I'm coming from a Lamy Vista) but my colleague recommends against it.

Edited by lukeformosa, 07 May 2019 - 22:06.

#11 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,912 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2019 - 23:27

Another southpaw weighing in.

Diamine Midnight, a dark blue that you don't really notice...yet I keep reloading it in pen after pen.

Buy some samples. Include Midnight.

#12 aardvarkbark

aardvarkbark

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2019 - 23:40

...After testing all the vendors who ship to Malta I've identified "The Writing Desk" as the site with the cheapest samples and biggest selection...

Diamine Denim and Oxford are my favorite blues, but because they lean toward blue-black, especially in an EF line.  Since you've specified no darker shade, I'm guessing these are not what you seek.

I buy my Diamine from Anna at The Writing Desk.  You should contact her with the same criteria you mention above and ask her what samples she'd suggest you try. 

#13 lukeformosa

lukeformosa

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:58

Diamine Denim and Oxford are my favorite blues, but because they lean toward blue-black, especially in an EF line.  Since you've specified no darker shade, I'm guessing these are not what you seek.

I buy my Diamine from Anna at The Writing Desk.  You should contact her with the same criteria you mention above and ask her what samples she'd suggest you try. 

What a brilliant suggestion, thanks for the tip! Who better to get suggestions than someone standing next to a warehouse with 600 colours  :lol: hehe.

#14 1nkulus

1nkulus

Thought2Papier via Ink2Pen

• Member - Gold

• 2,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2019 - 17:08

Who better to get suggestions than someone standing next to a warehouse with 600 colours  laugh.png hehe.

+1

You can jump start the conversation by suggesting some of the colours mentioned here.

W2FPN.gif

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

#15 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,570 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 21:56

There are too many blues to count. 

Waterman Florida/Serenity blue is an all time favorite and my most commonly used ink (it's always the first ink in a new pen). Inks that I'm also a big fan of and might meet your criteria include Monteverde Horizon blue, Bungubox Sapphire or Omotesando, Visconti Blue, or Iroshizuku Kon Peki. 

#16 fc2462

fc2462

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:03

My absolute favorite blue right now is Montblanc Permanent Blue.  It's a nice shade of blue, fairly quick drying, permanent, and so far seems to be colorfast with no fading over time.  IMHO it meets most of your desires listed above.

#17 Shaggy

Shaggy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:43

Pilot Blue is pretty wet and quick drying IME, but I'm not sure if it's "too blue" for you. Maybe try the Blue-Black?

#18 phm14

phm14

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2019 - 03:47

I'll second Iroshizuku Kon Peki. Beautiful bright blue, and a popular favorite with connoisseurs, for good reason. :)

Penaholic

#19 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,826 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2019 - 04:06

Agree with Iroshizuku Kon Peki

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#20 NeverTapOut

NeverTapOut

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:20

Montblanc Royal Blue dries quickly on HP 32.

Edited by Jesus1, 09 May 2019 - 09:20.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: left handed, quink permanent blue, saturated

Sponsored Content

|