The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Won An Auction For "vintage Pen" What Would You Recommend To Look For?

vintage recommendations under $30

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,899 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2019 - 00:20

Look for a Parker 45 at about $25, give or take maybe $5. It's really the oldest of modern pens, but many EBay sellers seem to think anything made before 2000 is vintage. Some expect to sell a P-45 for as much as $100. Ignore those.

Parker produced the 45 from 1960 until about 2006 or '07, and it might have been the all-time biggest selling fountain pen. 

The Parker 45 was the first successful cartridge / converter pen, and the first pen in which a user could unscrew all the major parts. A user no longer sent the pen to Parker service to fiddle with the filling system. Any Parker converter should work, and any cartridge. The P-45 nib unscrews, like the older Esterbrook.

A 45 might need a flush, but it should work without any trouble.

Here is Tony Fischier's description: https://parkerpens.net/parker45.html

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500

Sponsored Content

#22 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,842 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:10

I look at Tony Fischier's site first for all things Parker.  For 45s, I also recommend looking at http://parker45pens.com.  And there's a great video that was recommended to me when I got my first 45 -- it's by Tyler Dahl, and it's on how to disassemble a 45 for thorough cleaning.

One caveat on that -- the nibs on 45s are really tiny, so I recommend taking the nib assembly apart over something like a pan so you can keep track of the nib, feed, and hood.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vintage, recommendations, under $30

Sponsored Content

|