Moonman M6 - Wood Pen

taike

Moonman_M6_08_sm.jpg

The new Moonman M6 is interesting from a couple of angles. First, it's wood. I'm becoming more of a fan of wood pens.

It's also a medium sized pen with quite a bit of girth, i.e., not what one typically associates with Chinese fountain pens.

But more importantly, Moonman has finally released their own #6-class nib. And it's nice.

Moonman_M6_09_sm.jpg

Left to right: Schmidt #5, Natami Inception, Moonman M6, PenBBS Round M, Jowo #6

The pen is well made. The cap comes off in a 3/4 turn, with metal threads on the barrel and threads machined into the wood of the cap. There's a liner in the cap to reduce drying.

The cap is relatively thick without overly disturbing the profile of the pen. I imagine to avoid potential cracking. MOONMAN is engraved along the base of the cap. centered under the clip.

The clip itself quite stiff and looks to be made of a solid piece of metal. It is anchored with a screw under the liner. The bottom of the clip curves out to fit over pockets.

Moonman_M6_11_sm.jpg

The section is dark brown plastic.The section tapers toward the nib but is otherwise flat.

The section and barrel both have metal threads, giving the pen a bit more weight and durability. The supplied converter is functional if non-descript.

Moonman_M6_14_sm.jpg

Inked, the pen is just over 30 grams capped. Uncapped, it's close to 19 grams, near my favorite weight for larger pens.

Capped, the pen is 140mm so roughly the same as a PenBBS 308, Natami Inception or Lamy 2000.

Uncapped, the pen is 125mm, so smaller than the PenBBS but larger than both the Natami and Lamy.

Moonman_M6_10_sm.jpg

In a pinch, it is possible to post the pen. In fact, it posts pretty well. But I've never been a fan of wood on wood posting so don't plan to write that way.

The nib didn't require any tuning to get it writing well. Nice.

The nib is listed as 0.6mm and marked as a fine on the nib (the F in the circle at the base of the nib).

Normally Chinese F nibs are given as 0.5mm and M nibs as 0.7mm. So this is a medium-fine. And it writes like it. A generous F. Not as broad a line as a PenBBS Round M.

This pen is a great writer, no doubt about it. It's balanced and comfortable. Easy to hold in a range of positions up and down the section. I like the texture of the wood.

Moonman_M6_15_sm.jpg

At just over US$22 plus shipping on taobao, it falls in the mid-range of recent Chinese pens. There's at least one Esty seller with the pen.

It's wood so perhaps not to everyone's taste. Perhaps also the relatively girthy diameter isn't what everyone's after.

But the nib is the difference-maker IMHO.

As a harbinger of more good things to come from Moonman based on this new nib, it deserves special attention.

More pictures and comments here.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• taike

• A Smug Dill

• drathbun

Thank you for the review : )

That is a lovely looking pen. It's nice to see one with a larger nib and less of a step-down from the barrel to the section.

Their designs are getting better. The M600 is a nice design, too, but I'd prefer a solid color.

I'd like to see this pen made in acrylic as I prefer lighter pens.

Overall: Very nice to see such progress in design : )

wow that nib is gorgeous. I'm buying one.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Thanks for the review. My only worry would be the threads in the cap coupling with the metal threads of the barrel. Otherwise, I like the girth on this model and I just mught give it a try.

Thanks for the review. My only worry would be the threads in the cap coupling with the metal threads of the barrel. Otherwise, I like the girth on this model and I just mught give it a try.

Threads that coarse should be safe for a long, long time. They cut the threads nice and broad.

I have one in the tigerwood-looking color on the way.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I just love that two tone combination of monteverde and conklin's nibs.

Moonman is really starting to develop a brand design language.

Mine has just arrived. Excellent nib, both in design and use and the fit and finish on the pen is astonishingly good. I don't think I've seen better on a Chinese pen.

The only problem for me is that I ordered the 'green sandalwood', which was a mistake. It's not green, more of a repellent mid-brown, and has that glutinous varnish reminiscent of the the wooden arms on retirement home lounge chairs. I wish I had ordered any other colour.

Oh well, such is life - but overall I am impressed, and will try some of their other offerings. The general quality makes me think one of the check Faux Duofold Internationals might be worth a punt.

John

Mine has just arrived. Excellent nib, both in design and use and the fit and finish on the pen is astonishingly good. I don't think I've seen better on a Chinese pen.

The only problem for me is that I ordered the 'green sandalwood', which was a mistake. It's not green, more of a repellent mid-brown, and has that glutinous varnish reminiscent of the the wooden arms on retirement home lounge chairs. I wish I had ordered any other colour.

Oh well, such is life - but overall I am impressed, and will try some of their other offerings. The general quality makes me think one of the check Faux Duofold Internationals might be worth a punt.

John

400 grit sandpaper will easily remedy your complaints!

got mine today - buttery smooth fine nib, really thick but nicely portioned grip section, 3/4 turn to uncap, nice fit and finish, feels great in the hand unposted (I don't recommend posting it as you could damage the threads) the threads on the section are almost impossible to feel and the step is small and not sharp, the threads are actually a nice spot to hold the pen.

I'm impressed. I would prefer an EF nib to the F, and I really think nib options from EF to B/BB are really the next place for chinese pens to go.

Interestingly, the moonman branded info card had photos of filling systems that they don't sell. There's instructions for filling a vac filler and a syringe filler.

Moonman is really starting to develop a brand design language.

Copy everything in sight.™

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

[snip]

Interestingly, the moonman branded info card had photos of filling systems that they don't sell. There's instructions for filling a vac filler and a syringe filler.

Cool catch. I never bothered to look. But it looks like Moonman has plans!

THanks for the pictures ! They look fairly refined... love the clean/uncluttered design. Clip looks nicely implanted, hope they are a sturdy gage.

Gotta get me some before tariffs kick in on these beauties!