The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

J. Herbin "rouille D'ancre" - Mini Review

herbin rouille dancre

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2019 - 18:44

I'm new to this ink, but it was exciting enough that I decided to write a mini review for it.  Sorry for my crooked writing--I've been practicing a proper grip, which makes me write in chickenscratch :(

J. Herbin - Rouille D'Ancre 

is an interesting ink.  It's pink?  No it's coral.  No it's peachy faded red?  Wait, let me turn on the table lamp, it looks different again...   Yes, it's difficult to categorize.  I honestly thought I would be getting a cross between true rose gold and Apple kind of anodized aluminum rose gold, but it's neither.

It's always legible and not pale, unless you have a super dry writer.  The color makes me happy for some reason, and I want to keep writing with this ink.  I personally think it looks best with a pen that gives you some line and flow variation, like a stub nib, a vintage pen, or some kind of flexy nib.  In my case, I decided to use it with a great FPR Himalaya that is equipped with an ebonite feed and "ultra flex" steel nib.

Drying time is really good.  Unless you're leaving globs of ink left and right, it dries very quickly.  10-15 seconds.  The appearance on the page is matte.  If you use a wet writer, there is some dark edging / outlining effect.

The ink has some greenish-cyan components and more yellow-brown components, as can be seen on the paper towel droplet spread and water brush tests.  I think the outlining effect is also enhanced due to this turquoise component.

No feathering observed on typical fountain-pen-friendly paper, though my newly obtained HP Premium Choice 32lb 100-brightness paper did feather with this ink and J. Herbin Vert Empire.

I've tried my best to represent my ink properly, though due to the readily color-shifting property of it, that was was not an easy task.  

51RrVbM.jpg

f6IohhI.jpg

WwiMyxQ.jpg

FkSn0kR.jpg

Next to PenBBS "Rose Quartz" ink:

RPmqdFe.jpg

(PenBBS Rose Quartz on the top right):

Z5RTcDh.jpg

Scan (not accurate for Rose Quartz--the photograph above is accurate):

FI8DsmG.jpg

Edited by Intensity, 04 May 2019 - 18:45.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Sponsored Content

#2 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2019 - 20:16

Lovely review and great pics. I really like the looks of this colour - old rose, vintage vibe, faded looks. Ticks all the right boxes for me. I most certainly will get a bottle of this.
Thank you for showing it!

#3 Jan2016

Jan2016

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2019 - 04:32

Thank you for a great review. I like the compariosons with the other inks and nice layout!

#4 nepniatnouf

nepniatnouf

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2019 - 13:35

Great review! Thank you!

#5 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,842 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2019 - 23:15

I keep blowing hot and cold about whether to try this ink.  Your review is making me warm up to it again.  Thanks for the review... and not....  :wallbash: 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#6 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,641 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2019 - 23:58

I keep blowing hot and cold about whether to try this ink.  Your review is making me warm up to it again.  Thanks for the review... and not....  :wallbash: 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

It took me a while to decide on ordering this ink as well, but it was a definite "someday I will buy it".  The Someday came faster than I thought, as I was already ordering a bunch of inks including other J. Herbin inks, and had to include this one.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#7 mke

mke

Read my lips: No more (pens/inks/paper)

• Member - Gold

• 2,110 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:52

Mine looks a bit different (upper side right) - together with some other brownish inks.

The paper is a "normal" paper, from a notebook "Kokuyo ノ-108S5-D", written with a glass dip pen, size about F.

It reminds me the skin color of old puppets, seen in the 1950s/60s.

fpn_1557139587__rouille.png

Edited by mke, 06 May 2019 - 10:53.

#8 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,641 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2019 - 15:11

It’s one of those chameleon inks—dependent on paper, pen, and illumination.

#9 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2019 - 21:37

Wonderful review!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#10 Bobje

Bobje

We're all bozos on this bus.

• FPN Super Moderators

• 1,920 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:27

This ink evokes the most memorable language among FPN reviewers. MKE calls it the skin color of old puppets. Intensity calls it a coral that halos. Lgsoltek called it “trampled sakura flower in dirt, Calamine, spat-out bubblegum.” It certainly owns its color category.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

#11 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,641 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:44

This ink evokes the most memorable language among FPN reviewers. MKE calls it the skin color of old puppets. Intensity calls it a coral that halos. Lgsoltek called it “trampled sakura flower in dirt, Calamine, spat-out bubblegum.” It certainly owns its color category.

:lticaptd:

#12 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:31

It’s one of those chameleon inks—dependent on paper, pen, and illumination.

~ Intensity:

I love your eloquent comment.

There are such a number of ‘chameleon inks’.

Tom K.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: herbin, rouille dancre

Sponsored Content

|