Hp Premium 32 - Terrible

someguyhere

So after reading a bunch about HP Premium32 paper, I bought a ream off of Amazon. From the website description: "Formerly known as HP Laserjet Paper, HP Premium Choice Laser Jet Paper and HP Color Laserjet paper"

It's a nice and white paper that doesn't bleed through, but that's the best I can say about it. The paper performs fairly badly - none of my pens will hold a straight crisp line because they almost all seem to feather. Some of the inks feather terribly, especially wetter pens. I won't be using it as fountain pen paper. I'm just going to use it as standard office paper.

As an aside, does anybody have any recommendations on loose leaf paper in the US? The Black n' Red ones perform pretty well. Anybody have a link to where one can purchase loose leaf paper from them? It seems like they're from a company called Hamelin but I can't find where to buy it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• someguyhere

• NeverTapOut

• aimi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has it, perhaps, been reformulated? I don’t need a resupply just now so I’m curious if anyone else has had a problem.

Has it, perhaps, been reformulated? I don’t need a resupply just now so I’m curious if anyone else has had a problem.

A couple of months back somebody commented that the newer "100 bright" paper is not as good as the older "98 bright". Otherwise both are HP Premium 32lb.

I have both...The old version and the new (purchased 2 weeks ago) and I have not had any problems at all...I do use smaller nib sizes however I keep them set wet. Maybe it is a recent batch that is bad. I have used this paper for almost 10 years as well as HP Laser Jet 24 which does have a coating. Goulet Pens uses this paper as well. If you bought it from Staples they will take it back...or at least they use to and I would show them or complain to HP...they should know because traditionally it is an excellent paper...I think it is a bad batch.

Respectfully,

David

Edited by Jesus1

Hmmm. I buy bigger than a ream packages of HP paper at Sam's Club, so I don't need to get any soon. And recently, I've been putting cheaper paper in the laser printer because of the stuff I was printing off. I'll have to see what I'm currently using of the HP (I want to say that it's 24 wt, 96 bright, and I haven't had any trouble with writing on it in the past.

But then, I'll use whatever cr@p paper at hand, if I'm making shopping lists and such, and the current poetry journal is a spiral bound Gartner "Banana Paper" eco-friendly notebook (it may be eco-friendly, but it's also really sort of textured and almost hairy.... I've used some pens/inks on it with success, but not the Sailor with the zoom nib --I've been afraid to try it; the Decimo, with its Japanese F, has done okay on it, though).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have a ream of the 24 lb, HP that performs well, but I haven't used it in a while. I forget I have it and I don't often sit at the desk whose drawer it is in. I haven't any of the 32 lb for comparison.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The recently purchased HP 32# Premium paper, 100 brightness, 132 whiteness, that I am using works just fine with a variety pens, nibs, and inks. I also use it for dip pen Copperplate and calligraphy work with success. Prior to this ream of paper, I did inadvertently purchase a 32# HP paper that was labeled as Laser and it did not work well at all with feathering issues galore.

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

The recently purchased HP 32# Premium paper, 100 brightness, 132 whiteness, that I am using works just fine with a variety pens, nibs, and inks. I also use it for dip pen Copperplate and calligraphy work with success. Prior to this ream of paper, I did inadvertently purchase a 32# HP paper that was labeled as Laser and it did not work well at all with feathering issues galore.

I don't know why people are having bad results with it. I use it exclusively for years and never had a problem. Even the new stock...I didn't even know there was a difference except for the packaging.

I never bought the French or Japanese Brands and just stuck with this for 10 years. Clients even comment on it. Maybe they got a bad lot. They do make a LaserJet 24 that Goulet Pens uses for their receipts that has a coating on it.

Regards,

David

Attached is a picture of an EF Ti Bock nib. I applied slight pressure toward the end of some of the strokes, and you can see the feathering. I wasn't actually trying to induce feathering, I was just scribbling when I got the paper.

To be fair, EF Ti Bock nibs can deposit a fair amount of ink if you want to. So I tried some medium, fine and EF nibs in a variety of pens.

*Montblanc Season's Greetings

*PenBBS Beijing

*Diamine Majestic Blue

*Monteverde Black

The one ink that didn't seem to feather much was PenBBS Strawberry Milkshake, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a pigment based ink because of how incredibly water resistant it is.

post-17457-0-95753200-1557211136_thumb.jpg

I had heard that rubbing the page with a piece of paper can change it somewhat. I don't see feathering on mine so I can't try it (Pilot Metro, Parallel Blue Cartridge)

My first ream of the stuff was also purchased in the last few months, and I likewise find it unacceptable due to feathering. Whether or not it's changed is really irrelevant. It's not worth the paper it's pr ... wait, no, that metaphor doesn't work here.

Excellent laser printer paper, though. Not that I print much.

It would be a shame not to be able to depend on this, it's my go to less expensive paper, mine says 98 brightness.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I wonder if its geographical...I have both and the new is fine...Maybe it's paper that came out of a certain manufacturing plant...

I got a “bad” ream too a few months ago of the 24lb version so it can happen. Mine wasn’t completely feather prone but it was nothing that I imagined and not on par with the rest of my FP friendly papers.

<b>Inked up:</b> Ranga 3C, Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, Pelikan m205 , Platinum Preppy, Pilot Decimo<br><b>Inks currently using:</b> Troublemaker Blue Guitar, Nemosine Alpha Centauri, Noodler’s Navy, Aircorps blue black<br> Signature ink and pen: Noodler’s Navy + Lamy 2000

• 3 weeks later...

"""Formerly known as HP Laserjet Paper, HP Premium Choice Laser Jet Paper and HP Color Laserjet paper"""""

Sure pushing the envelope of what it was once known as......by magic marketing.

Living in Germany I seldom get a chance to buy HP products. I of course a decade ago wanted some.....THEN, laser paper was quite highly recommended.....then in the last 4-5 years there were many complaints.

That of course was after I found a source............had the same problem with Fugi-Xerox as The Great paper got lost in a flood of paper trying to live off the good name.

As a 'noobie' you could not know.

First no laser-ink jet paper is all that great....it is a compromise. A ink jet paper must absorb ink very very fast and is more than prone to being a feather champ.

Adding a laser complement does improve the ink jet portion. And downgrades the laser portion.

I have a bunch of Southworth paper boxes I grabbed in a hurry when in the states...they are all laser-ink jet :rolleyes: (in a great hurry....finally great paper, buy to take afross the Pond....did not even see....Laser Ink Jet :headsmack: :wallbash: ).........not quite as bad as it sounds....but knowing a compromise was made always wonder how much better those papers would be if pure laser.

I strive to never buy compromise paper after that ''''mistake'''.....the Southworth paper at a higher cost than HP....is ok.

Unless your printer is an expensive ink jet printer do stay away from compromise paper.

If you only have an ink jet printer perhaps someone can come up with a good compromise paper....outside of Southworth which is too expensive to put into a printer....except for special occasions.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I don't remember when I bought my ream of this paper. I thought it was a couple years ago and it's 100 brightness.

I've had mixed results, even within the same ream. In general the paper is fine but not great. Inks don't seem as interesting on the HP paper, less shading/sheen and very flat overall. The HP 32# is better than most other copy paper but not as nice as the more well regarded fountain pen papers (e.g., Tomoe, Rhodia).

I really wish there was an obvious paper choice (especially US letter sized) but I haven't found one yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Adding my negative experience with recently purchased Premium Choice 32 100 brightness. My paper also shows a fair amount of feathering with various inks. Its definitely ink-and-nib dependent, which can skew ones experience one way or another. But Ive used plenty of cheap enough paper that doesnt feather with most inks even with broad nibs, so my HP32 paper is a disappointment. Bought at Staples in Boston.

P.S.: Cheap sugarcane printer paper can be better than HP 32lbs for fountain pen inks.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Adding my negative experience with recently purchased Premium Choice 32 100 brightness. My paper also shows a fair amount of feathering with various inks. Its definitely ink-and-nib dependent, which can skew ones experience one way or another. But Ive used plenty of cheap enough paper that doesnt feather with most inks even with broad nibs, so my HP32 paper is a disappointment. Bought at Staples in Boston.

P.S.: Cheap sugarcane printer paper can be better than HP 32lbs for fountain pen inks.

Intensity,

I stopped by the Fed Ex Store today and bought a ream of the Tree Zero Sugarcane Paper for $6.99. Even though I have not had the problems others have with the HP32...this Tree Zero Paper is not bad. The HP32 has been my go to for years. I might have to switch...The HP32 is a more substantial paper and clients like it however it weighs more so my Fed Ex Bill is more...costs 40-50% less than HP32...plus I like the tooth of the paper...I do get a broader line with the Tree Zero versus the HP32...however no feathering on either. I have a decision to make.

David

• 3 weeks later...

I was just popping in to see if anyone had had similar problems with the new "HP Premium 32"--and I guess some of you have. :( I have gone through reams of the old version for making my own little notebooks for less important scribbles and was always very pleased with the quality. The allegedly relabeled stuff is terrible. Some pages are passable, but with others the bleeding/feathering issues are just as bad as they are with cheap copy paper. Disappointing.

Hoping some others chime in with recommendations for inexpensive paper to use as a replacement.

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." - C.S. Lewis