Waterman Nibs !

GlenV

Just an appreciation for the beautiful nibs made by Waterman, pretty, sensitive and durable, hats off to the ideal nibs. This one is from around 1940, but no better than ones from the teens. Pretty to look at and even better to use! Way to go Waterman

post-146565-0-13717600-1556895207_thumb.jpeg

Regards, Glen

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GlenV

• sidthecat

• Dip n Scratch

• aurore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice looking nib, and great photo.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

A good nib is a wonderful thing and Waterman made plenty.

That said, I've had dalliances with Conklin, Moore, Wahl-Eversharp, Mabie Todd, and obscure little Hicks. All different and all can supply Peak Writing Experience.

Thanks for the comments, can't agree more Sid..I have a couple of favorites..a couple more, Carter's inx ingersoll, superite ,Lucky curve.. Unfortunately I've been unlucky with Conklin so far, hope to get a good one yet though :)

Regards, Glen

A lovely nib, beautiful in its simplicity and in the style of its time.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

That is just plain gorgeous @GlenV :) and I can't agree with you more on usage.

I too really enjoy a well preserved Waterman Ideal :P

Anyone know what nib options the original (Mk1) Expert was offered with?

I was just wondering about my chances of getting a replacement nib, or nib unit. I have never messed around with the pen apart from improving it's very dry writing with the brass shim.

I wanted a Fine or Extra-Fine if there was such an alternative. As to my chances of actually getting such a nib..........

If replacement nibs are now unavailable I would probably sell the pen on.

Anyone know what nib options the original (Mk1) Expert was offered with?

I was just wondering about my chances of getting a replacement nib, or nib unit. I have never messed around with the pen apart from improving it's very dry writing with the brass shim.

I wanted a Fine or Extra-Fine if there was such an alternative. As to my chances of actually getting such a nib..........

If replacement nibs are now unavailable I would probably sell the pen on.

I own a F nib Expert MK1 (a terrific writer, not dry at all, but not a gusher either). And I believe there used to be EF nibs too.

With a bit of luck you can get a replacement nib on ebay, but certainly not directly from Waterman any longer.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

Is the nib & feed a 1 piece unit that unscrews like those by Bock & Jowo?

I was curious if the nib was permanently fixed to the feed. Just in case the pen cannot be dismantled totally to clean.

If I moved the pen on it'd also be irresponsible of me not to tell the buyer that certain inks should not be used.

Is the nib & feed a 1 piece unit that unscrews like those by Bock & Jowo?

I was curious if the nib was permanently fixed to the feed. Just in case the pen cannot be dismantled totally to clean.

If I moved the pen on it'd also be irresponsible of me not to tell the buyer that certain inks should not be used.

No, I believe it's a standard friction fit. I have never disassembled MK1 though, being too fearful to break anything :)

As for the inks... it really depends, I would just notice it is not a wet writer and does not work perfectly with dry inks. It is also possible an ultrasonic cleaning woukd improve it, so I would not be too harsh to it as for the description. Anyway, my YoL Grand is a wet writer but still is a bit picky in terms of inks regardless the wetness of those. Expert MK1 is an almost 30 y.o. Waterman pen (a rather budget model those days), it should work flawlessly with Waterman blue ink, if it does not then you should be worried as for the description imho

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

This one is one of my favorite writers it's in a PSF with gold bands but isn't in great shape, smooth a nib as there is (4)

post-146565-0-46383500-1557604918_thumb.jpeg

Regards, Glen

Does anyone know where one can buy the Carene stub nib? I see a couple on E-bay, but both are silver trim, and I need gold trim. Thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

I feel your pain, GlenV...Conklin sold its share of crocks, which rest in the depths of my pen drawer, but once or twice fate has thrown me a couple of long-tined wonders. I recollect the proverb about having to kiss a lot of toads...

Right! I think it's a wonderful surprise when a nib turns out to be better than you thought, too.

( not the usual way that goes ha)

Regards, Glen

• 1 month later...

I have won the Waterman #2 Nib lottery lately. Three of the seven #2 nib pens I have recently purchased, arrived with very flexy nibs. They have made me re-evaluate what I want from a nib. They are so much more expressive than the stiff nibs I had experienced before (from other manufacturers). It has made me re-examine how I feel about my Noodler Ahab pen.

Edited by Addertooth

Lucky to have those... my original idea was to enjoy lots of writing pens for the various traits of the pen but despite my concerns about being unbiased I continue to wish for more Waterman nibs as time goes by

Regards, Glen

Here is the nib of my latest Waterman purchase! What a great semi flex nib!

post-5351-0-07704600-1563076940_thumb.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!