Sheaffer Imperial Feed Clogged

Megaten

Hello all. I have a Sheaffer 727 that has very little to no ink flow. I managed to take it apart and when cleaning the interior parts I have found very nasty black chunks stuck in many places on the feed. Im guessing the previous user used the wrong ink for this kind of pen. I have rinsed the feed in water but that hasn't done much, and converter flushing does not work because there is no ink going in or out. How should I go about cleaning it? Thanks.

EDIT: After reading around I am now concerned that this may be an India Ink problem...

Edited by Megaten

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Megaten

• BaronWulfraed

• stephenchin

• Lin_empire

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you've disassembled it...

• Toothbrush
  • Water-Pik
  • Ultrasonic Cleaner
  • and if those don't help, a collection of dental probes with sharp tips and different angles (common half-circle probes may not fit -- a mostly straight with just a bent tip might be needed to get into the section)

Since you've disassembled it...

• Toothbrush
  • Water-Pik
  • Ultrasonic Cleaner
  • and if those don't help, a collection of dental probes with sharp tips and different angles (common half-circle probes may not fit -- a mostly straight with just a bent tip might be needed to get into the section)

Ill try this stuff thanks. Would you say a floss would be good as well since its thin enough to go in?

I am saddened by the condition of this pen. No respect for it at all. Makes me more determined to fix it. Thanks for the input.

If you mean dental floss... for cleaning feed grooves -- I'm not sure. It may work for cutting through gunk but you'd still need a probe to pull out pieces, however since grooves/fins are flat sides, it may be difficult to get the floss against the surface. A tooth is rounded, so putting tension on the floss "fits" it to the curve of the tooth. Tensioning floss on a "flat" will end up shaving the corners off the fins.

If it is India Ink, you can get a cleaning product formulated to clean technical pens using heavy pigmented ink (Kohinor Rapido-Eze) at most art supply shops, including Blick's. It may take a bit but I've saved some terribly clogged fragile and rare pens with it.

Apparently I'm not alone, as this other thread suggests:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/153237-koh-i-noor-rapido-eze-pen-cleaner/

• 1 month later...