The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Wing Sung 601 Versions

wing sung piston filler vacumatic

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dip n Scratch

Dip n Scratch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:09

It appears that there are two major versions of the pen. One appears to have a diaphragm filler like a Parker Vacumatic. Then there's what looks like a short stroke piston-fill variant.

Were there problems with the vacumatic filler?

I fancied one of the vac-fill 601's.

My choice is not assisted by the sellers somewhat vague usage of the term 'vacumatic'.

Sponsored Content

#2 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:54

Consider the vac diaphragm ones as the Mk1. Stopped production in late 2017 or early 2018.

They are distinguished by a sliver coloured cap jewel.

The problems with these are that a number had problems with hoods that split, or the diaphragm didn't work well for some reason. The diaphragm not working was caused by either it not seating properly, being torn during assembly by Wing Sung or tearing in use. The plating on the sliver jewel was poor and wore to grey very quickly.

The Mk2 uses a piston. Production throughout 2018.

They are distinguished by a white coloured plastic cap jewel.

The piston uses most of the same mechanical components as the diaphragm ones, replacing the diaphragm with a double seal piston. I cannot detect a difference in the way the Mk1 & Mk2 work in use.

The Mk3 uses a piston. Production seems to have started in 2019 (ish).

They are distinguished by being double jeweled, with blue jewels.

Otherwise they appear to be identical to the Mk2.

I have bought 7 so far.

2 were Mk1. The black one's hood split. The red one works still.

4 were Mk 2. The black one's hood split. The transparent green, green and flashing blue all work perfectly.

1 is Mk 3. The Red works perfectly now I have put the Mk2 black's cap on it. I think the Mk3 cap sealed too well and sucked ink out on uncapping.

I want a clear and a black that works, but I think I'll wait until the Mk3 comes in black.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Richard.

#3 Dip n Scratch

Dip n Scratch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:26

Sellers still use the images of the 'Mk1'. I consider that to be borderline dishonesty.

How easy is it to clean out the WS 601?

If I was going to buy another Chinese piston-fill pen I think it'd be another Lanbitou 3059, with a 0.5mm nib.

#4 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:42

It is as easy to clean as the P51 vac. I.e. flippin' difficult.

On the Mk2 & 3 it is relatively easy to unscrew the filler and get access to the interior. Not sure you should unscrew this regularly as not an intended use method and the threads may not be too durable.

It's a copy of a pen from a time when you did not change inks regularly, so has that original 'feature'.

Borderline dishonest in not updating the photos? Not sure. More like actively lazy, I reckon.

Regards,

Richard.

#5 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:05

As I understand it the early batches of the original ( aka M.1 ) 601 suffer from plenty of defects and manufacturing shortcoming .. though I did had 4 of the latest batches production which they basically had re-do the ink collector , the feed, and slightly mod the barrel , but that did not take away the fact that diaphragm mechanism is difficult to service, maintain and also troublesome in assembly. So even though the last batches of the original Mk.1 60 are actually having all sorted out, they still made the decision to go for the Mk.II instead and a logical one I say its ultimately a more robust, easier to maintain and service, easier to clean, and just overall perform more consistent and genuinely better design ( engineering vise ) , in use they are of no different until you had to disassemble & clean it, then you would be most happy to know that the Mk.II is fa more user friendly. Tough as a guard-line you do not need to disassemble to clean the pen and its certainly recommended against in the Mk.1

I still got 3 of those MK.1 un-inked and never disassembled and likely will stay so as collection

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wing sung, piston filler, vacumatic

Sponsored Content

|