The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

I Need A Green-Black...

green black ink cheap ink

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Starrfish

Starrfish

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:20

Hello All

I am looking for a green black ink that has shading ink, that is the similar price to Noodler's, Diamine, or Rohrer & Klingner.

Thoughts? Tall order?

Thanks in advance

c.

Sponsored Content

#2 uceroy

uceroy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:06

I'm not sure about shading qualities, but Noodler's Zhivago, Diamine green black and Robert Oster green black come to mind 😄

#3 Mannyonpil

Mannyonpil

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:41

I have been enjoying 3Oysters "Black Moss."

#4 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,733 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2019 - 15:04

I am looking for a green black ink that has shading ink, that is the similar price to Noodler's, Diamine, or Rohrer & Klingner.

So why not just shop within what those brands offer? It's not like Diamine doesn't have an ink it aptly named Green/Black, as well as others in that category.

Whether you'll be able to get shading from your choice of pen, nib and paper to go with the use of the ink is... well, a matter of your choice of pen, nib and paper. I don't think anyone is in a position to guarantee you'll get the degree of shading you'd like when you use it. From Diamine's 'swatch' of its Green/Black ink in the product's marketing image, shading is definitely possible from the use of the ink.

621.jpg
Source: Diamine Inks

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#5 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2019 - 17:46

Don't know about shading -- I've only used it in fairly fine points -- but Herbin Vert Empire appears a green/black to my eye. Platinum Classic (Iron Gall) Forest Black might be a candidate.

So naturally just after posting the above, a review of Vert Empire shows up in the next forum down...

Edited by BaronWulfraed, 01 May 2019 - 18:00.

#6 DilettanteG

DilettanteG

Harmless Dilettante

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2019 - 19:36

+1 for Noodlers Zhivago, it is a lovely green black, but I think its too saturated to shade. Maybe if you dilute it and use a very broad nib italic? Or add a little black to R&K Alt Goldgrun? It has lovely shading on white paper.

#7 SchaumburgSwan

SchaumburgSwan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2019 - 19:44

Hi,

I like these ones:

Diamine Green-Black, a cold green-black,

Diamine Classic Green, a warm dark green,

Platinum Forest Black, very close to Diamine Classic Green, but IG,

Diamine Racing Green, subtle dark green, a tad warm.

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.c...5166@N02/albums

#8 Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Curmudgeon

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2019 - 20:58

Have you considered Noodler's El Lawrence?

Lux in Obscuro Sumus

#9 Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

Carrau

• Member - Gold

• 1,620 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2019 - 22:41

I have been enjoying 3Oysters "Black Moss."

+1 for Black Moss-it’s really dark and murky for me. Monteverde Jade Noir is another to look at, inexpensive , and well behaved-not as dark as Black Moss but a color I enjoy.

#10 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2019 - 01:42

Stipula Calamo Black. Quite greenish.

#11 by_a_Lady

by_a_Lady

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2019 - 15:52

Another vote for Diamine Classic Green (by extension also its Doppelgänger Sailor Jentle Tokiwa-Matsu). I do have Diamine Green-Black, Sherwood Green and Salamander here and suspect that they might fall into this category, but haven't tried them yet.

Dominique

Snail Mail

(fluent in SK, CZ, DE, EN

currently learning EO, JP, NL)

#12 Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2019 - 16:04

Noodler’s Aircorps Blue-Black is actually green black. Near black with green shading in smaller nibs and a dark green in wider. Images online show it as a teal but my bottle and the sample I tried before it had little blue content.
Inked up: Ranga 3C, Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, Pelikan m205 , Platinum Preppy, Pilot Decimo
Inks currently using: Troublemaker Blue Guitar, Nemosine Alpha Centauri, Noodler’s Navy, Aircorps blue black
Signature ink and pen: Noodler’s Navy + Lamy 2000

#13 aurore

aurore

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 18:44

Cultpens Deep Dark green would be my top choice. Not green-black, just a dark green though.

#14 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,210 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2019 - 18:51

De Atramentis and I think Monteverde make 'Black Edition' inks. I've tried the DA Black-Brown (or Brown-Black!) and I have the Diamine Green- Black (or Black-Green!).

#15 1nkulus

1nkulus

Thought2Papier via Ink2Pen

• Member - Gold

• 2,151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2019 - 19:44

The 'shading' parameter is subjective and is also paper, nib dependent.

Plenty of options have been posted, but there is still no guarantee.

What nib/paper do you generally use? Broader the nib, greater the chances.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

#16 SchaumburgSwan

SchaumburgSwan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2019 - 03:55

Another vote for Diamine Classic Green (by extension also its Doppelgänger Sailor Jentle Tokiwa-Matsu). I do have Diamine Green-Black, Sherwood Green and Salamander here and suspect that they might fall into this category, but haven't tried them yet.

Dominique

Hi Dominique,

I'm not surprised Classic Green to have a japanese Doppelgänger... a warm and naturally vielschichtig (hmm, whats an english word for that? Complex doesn't match it completely...) color.

At first view Diamines Green-Black seems simplier, but the more I use it, the better I like it...

And it is my reference ink, showing how a new pen behaves.

Best

Jens

.....................................................................................................

#17 mke

mke

Read my lips: No more (pens/inks/paper)

• Member - Gold

• 2,341 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:46

> vielschichtig

multifaceted

#18 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:59

I've used a few very dark greens that could probably pass as green-black - Miruai, GvFC Moss Green, heck, even Dark Forest.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#19 SchaumburgSwan

SchaumburgSwan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2019 - 19:01

> vielschichtig

multifaceted

Thank you.

Best

Jens

#20 Frank_70

Frank_70

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2019 - 03:48

I've been using Iroshizuku hoteison lately and really like it. It's a back-green with nice flow and saturation. Unfortunately, it's a limited edition and may be all gone by now.

I've also used Private Reserve Ebony Green and liked it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: green black, ink, cheap ink

Sponsored Content

|