Red To Black "shading"

notbob

I think I found it!

Youtube video, "How to Improve your Handwriting with a Fountain Pen", from Goldspot pens (1:03-1:18 and 3:05-3:35 and others).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9NNIUUBmNQ

Looks like it might be Noodler's Black Swan in Austrailian Roses (orig shade), whick I have about 1 ml sample left (but the Goulet Pen guy sez the org shade is back). I'm a big fan of Goldspot, cuz I got my first FP (Waterman Phileas) and last (red Pilot Falcon SF) from them.

This looks like the U2B video I originally saw and been talking about, with my bad memory besmirching the facts. ;)

nb

nulla dies sine linea

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• notbob

• WalterC

• Karmachanic

• inkstainedruth

notbob, One of the commenters on that video says that he found out the red black ink is Taccia Ebi, https://goldspot.com/products/taccia-ebi-purple-red-fountain-pen-ink

The video is from Jan. 2019, so you could also contact Goldspot and they might remember. It is carried by Goldspot, Vanness, and others. The images I found of Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses is similar, as the Platinum Cassis Black. I really like that color and shading, so I'll eventually get one of the three inks.

The little bit of info I found on Taccia inks says that they are Ph neutral and well behaved.

Thank you, WalterC.

I saw the commenter asking about the red ink, but Google wants my soul to see the replies and I'll not give it to them.

Never heard of this brand of ink (Taccia). It wasn't around back when I started this journey. I started with "chancery italic" then went on to "black letter". When my mom got too "demented", I hadda quit. After she passed, I started again with all those dip nibs I had. Engrossers and Spencerian script. I got about 40 samples of ink, some so old they have dried out. See my photos in the "sheen" thread.

Slow? My fave engrosser's script writter is Suzanne Cunningham. She is "agonizingly" slow, but has the most beautiful handwritting of all time. I'll call Goldspot, tomorrow.

Walt. We all only had 1-5 posts in the beginning. Again, welcome to the gang and thank you.

nb

nulla dies sine linea

notbob, I saw a few of your images in the sheen thread. The inks are interesting and I liked your macro photography; I'm grateful for the effort you put into those. I am more of a flex pen want to be, but may end up at broad Italic nibs because I don't want to take the chance that some of these inks could damage my vintage pens.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my 40ml bottle of Taccia Ebi, today. I put it in a red metal Lamy w/ a 1.5 nib and am writing on a Clairefontaine lined journal.

Does NOT look like the video, but it DOES shade. Maybe I'm not slanted enough. Most of the shading is taking place at the mid-point of the "print" letters, not the bottom. I think I got the correct ink, though. ;)

nb

nulla dies sine linea

Congratulations! Quest over. For now anyway. :D

Add lightness and simplicate.

I've been playing with my new ink, Taccia Ebi. The paper is critical.

I tried it on Clairefontaine and the results were ...meh... Lotta bleed through, but dry times were under 5 secs.

Better with Rhodia Dot Pad paper. More pooling at bottom and less, if any, bleed-through. Dry times were longer than Clairefontaine, but not excessively so.

The KICKER was Tomoe River paper (cream, old, from Japan). Zero bleed through, longer dry times, but under 20 secs.

This looks more like the video. Heavy shading near bottom of stroke. I should compare it with Black Swan in Australian Roses (orig color).

I talked to a rep at Goldspot and she said she would ask Tom Otto precisely which ink he was using. He sed he couldn't remember. I thought Taccia hadda red-black I wanted to try, but they do NOT.

So, there you have it. Taccia Ebi on Tomoe River paper will give you great shading. It's been awhile, but I again see how a 1.5 stub nib will give one a similar line variation to a flex pen.

I may get around to trying Apache Sunset in a 1.5 Pilot Parallel Pen. I've been getting pretty good with those, lately. ;)

nb

nulla dies sine linea

thanks fer yer reply, herrjaeger.

KWZ got me back into FP's and inks. I bought KWZ IG Turquoise. Total waste of $$. I ended up tossing the $15 jar of the stuff. It did NOT turn black and it mostly remained turquoise.

nb

And I bought a bottle hoping it would be a replacement for a currently unobtanium ink: FPN member Pharmacist's Turkish Night. Which is drop dead gorgeous (I wanted to get a second bottle because someone posted information about adding vinegar (IIRC) to it to keep the original color with it oxidizing as much).

IG Turquoise has lovely shading, but is a MUCH darker color than I was expecting. Not a substitute at ALL for Turkish Night.... :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I received my 40ml bottle of Taccia Ebi, today. I put it in a red metal Lamy w/ a 1.5 nib and am writing on a Clairefontaine lined journal.

Does NOT look like the video, but it DOES shade. Maybe I'm not slanted enough. Most of the shading is taking place at the mid-point of the "print" letters, not the bottom. I think I got the correct ink, though. ;)

nb

Okay, there are things that you need to remember: you may not be using the same pen or paper as the guy in the video. You may not be using the same nib width. And even if you are, you may be using a wetter or drier pen (and even with the same brand and nib width, there may be variations in width and how wet or dry the pen writes. And there are ALSO variations in ink batches (Noodler's makes it a "feature", not a bug) but even some of the big companies have been known to change their formulas.

I mostly don't like red/black or burgundy color inks (although there are some red violets I really like). So I wouldn't have begun to be able to advise you as to what specific ink is being used in the video, having only watched about a minute and a half so far). But I would do what WalterC suggested, and call/email Goldspot directly and ask what the guy used.

Anther suggestion would be to buy a bunch of samples of inks that look promising (samples are a LOT less expensive than full bottles). And play around with various pen/ink/paper combinations till you get something that looks close.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks, Ruth.

I DID talk to Goldspot, as I explained. How Tom could NOT recall the ink used is a puzzlement, but what-the-hey.

I may or may not have used the same pen or paper. I jes relayed what I had experienced. using a 1.5 Lamy nib and 3 papers.

I should add that this ink is in NO WAY permanent. It "smeared" at the mere mention of liquid! Spit on my thumb was enough to "smear" it on all three papers. No Noodlers "Bulletproof" here. ;)

nb

nulla dies sine linea

I've got som Legal Lapis from Noodler's/Pendemonium. Is Legal Blue (Noodler's) the same ink?

nulla dies sine linea

I gotta make a correction, here.

I loaded up a Noodler's Ebo Konrad w/ Apache Sunset while continuing w/ Taccia Ebi in my Lamy 1.5 red Al-Star. I sed the Lamy w/ the Ebi in it does NOT bleed through on Cream Tomoe River paper.

It does!

Two days after I layed the both inks down, they showed bleed through. I don't know if it was cuz it was old Tomoe River, or what, but both inks showed bleed through, Both inks showed lotsa shading, though. ;)

nb

nulla dies sine linea