Micarta: Why Discontinued?

NewPenMan

Does anyone know?

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NewPenMan

• Joe in Seattle

• FOUR X FOUR

• effrafax

AFAIK, it has been discontinued since 2013-14.

They only made two versions, with V2 correcting issues in V1. There was also a clipless version.

Probably discontinued for lack of demand, company policy, other projects/designs etc.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Well, the demand ws there. The problem was that the micarta material itself was very hard to work, making production unprofitable.

Shame. I don't own one but would like to, but used ones never appear on the bay. I have tried one owned by an acquaintance at the local pen club. Very nice pen.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

Well a hard to work material would explain it..sorry it was that way..it looks like a durable pen, and comments from owners are that it feels good in the hand..

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

I have one that I'll sell; for 999 dollas.

Seriously, I think it was just the novelty of it, and the very different aesthetic.

I like it a lot but it is no different that most of other TWSBI's other than the rustic look and feel of the body.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

I have the TWSBI Micarta pen & was very excited last year when I read about Sailor making a Professional Gear pen from Micarta for PEN GALLERY HOGADO.

Sadly, after it was released, I saw the price & realised I would only be having the ONE Micarta pen.................

It is on RAKUTEN site, priced @ $716.52 & a very nice looking pen.

(I am sorry I don't know how to "post a link" but if I googled "Sailor fountain pen + Micarta" & just found it, it should work for anyone else interested.)

Two different ideas for how to make a pen from micarta..both very good..

• 2 months later...

I have both versions. They seem pretty cool at first, but after a while they lose the cool factor

• 2 weeks later...

I have both versions. They seem pretty cool at first, but after a while they lose the cool factor

post-119257-0-97256700-1563240486_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

They are cool pens! I love mine and am glad I got it when it was available.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

• 2 months later...

TWSBI most probably stopped fabricating the Micarta for financial reasons.

While all their other pens are injection mould, their Micarta is completely machined from fiber filled material which is rather difficult to machine properly. Threading the material is very difficult

Given the higher as expected production & finishing cost, and offering the pens at a sharp price they most probably lost money making these pens .

Just my 2 Euro cents….

Francis

I have the clipless in F nib. I love the look, and feel, but it seems I am always using heavier pens. I have a goal to get down from 40+ to 24 pens in the next couple of years. None of my children is interested in the collection.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I have the clipless in F nib. I love the look, and feel, but it seems I am always using heavier pens. I have a goal to get down from 40+ to 24 pens in the next couple of years. None of my children is interested in the collection.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I for one am sad that I didn't get into the hobby until well after the Micarta had been discontinued. Many of my the knives that I carry on a daily basis have micarta handles and there's something about the feel in hand that makes me want a pen made from it to carry with me when I spend a week or more in camp.

• 4 years later...

I have an original TWSBI Micarta with the clipless cap. I got Pendleton Brown to grind the M nib to his signature 'Butter Line Stub" and it writes beautifully. 

I could be talked into selling it if anyone is interested. 

photo 1.jpeg

photo 2.jpeg

Micarta is a very nice material but it can get some stains from humidity in the long term. Mine has one spot that is clearly of a different colour that was not there the last time I saw it but it is now that I took it out after rereading this column. My Micarta is the first generation with a clip and it dries after a few days of no use. I wrote to Twsbi about this problem but they told me that nothing can be done and I think that was one of the changes in the second version. Sorry, I can not post photos due to a lack of equipment and knowledge.

Atelier Lusso is making pens out of micarta now, or was recently. A pen club member here brought one to the last meeting. 

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery