Waterman Le Man 100 Nib Softness

aurore

I have owned four Man 100 pens. Two were from 1983 and two from 1990-1999 (with globe). All were smooth and well made but 1983 nibs were quite a bit softer than later nibs (those were rather rigid). On the other hand one 1983 nib was a lot softer than the other 1983 nib.

I wonder... Were earlier nibs really (in general) softer than later nibs? Were 1984-1989 nibs more or less as soft as 1983?

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aurore

• Tom Heath

• aggoo

• ENewton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 1983 anniversary nib I have is quite a lot softer than the later globe nibs on my other MAN 100s. I also have several examples of the same nib in it's earlier 1960s 'super 6' guise, and these are soft or semi soft depending on the nib. I think overall, the earlier ones are somewhat softer than the globe nibs and subsequent version employed today in the Exception, but I think there is still some variation. I guess they were handmade to a point at this earlier stage in production, so maybe that explains the variability a bit.

All of them are superbly smooth without baby's bottom, and are very good quality with wonderful flow (partially down to the feed). This nib/feed combo has been in production for over 50 years!!!

The 1983 anniversary nib I have is quite a lot softer than the later globe nibs on my other MAN 100s. I also have several examples of the same nib in it's earlier 1960s 'super 6' guise, and these are soft or semi soft depending on the nib. I think overall, the earlier ones are somewhat softer than the globe nibs and subsequent version employed today in the Exception, but I think there is still some variation. I guess they were handmade to a point at this earlier stage in production, so maybe that explains the variability a bit.

All of them are superbly smooth without baby's bottom, and are very good quality with wonderful flow (partially down to the feed). This nib/feed combo has been in production for over 50 years!!!

They are superb, aren't they? I have owned about 200 of pens from 10 bucks pens to 2000 bucks pens. Some were excellent, some were not (regardless the price, ironically). But anytime picking up my Man 100 it has been a pure joy, what a marvelous pen! This is a perfect writing instrument.

Preferably EU.

I have a Man 100 Opera inked right now. I don't know the date of the pen--I did not buy it new--but the nib does not have a globe on it.

I would not call it soft, but it writes very smoothly despite having an extra-fine point.

I agree that it is a lovely pen. My first pen, and my only pen for my first 20 years as a fountain-pen user, was a Waterman Gentleman. When I finally decided to look for a pen I might like even better, my thought was to get one that was a little bit thicker and heavier. The Man 100 was the obvious choice, and I was lucky enough to find an Opera in excellent condition at the San Francisco International Pen Show.

• 4 months later...

Nib help requested

I find that I have a Mint Waterman fluted Sterling Silver what I believe to be a Le Man The Nib Section is also wrapped in SS fluted as well the nib is Somewhat broad and is Marked on the back side L 35 , the nib across the tine measures 1.62 mm

it seems semi flex. It is un inked and mint. I happen to have a second nib with section the same way it is marked simply M

Any idea what the L 35 means.

your thoughts are appreciated

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

Looks like I lost my earlier post.

I have a Le Man100 Sterling Silver Fluted pen. I have never inked it.

I have a medium nib and also another complete section , feed and what looks Broad to me but is marked L 35 on the reverse side on the Feed. Any idea what the L 35 stand for the box simply states 100 / B N0

it measures 1.66 mm across the tines

your thoughts are appreciated

Tom

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

Within the Waterman Forum there is a topic on the 30 and 35 imprints which was never resolved.

Modern Waterman pens use L for Broad. I believe in the French lingo they use large for broad.

I have not managed to detect specific softness differences in my 3 Waterman Le Man 100s (black, Opera black chased and Man America)

I can certainly confirm the surprising smoothness of the nibs though, they surprise me every time I use them and the same applies to other modern Watermans such as Man200 and Liason,

• 3 weeks later...

No idea reg. 30/35 but a brief follow up reg. softness since quite a few Man 100 have come through my hands.

Terminology first. Soft = not a nail and is inbetween nail ans semi-flex. Semi-flex = the tines spread easily and quite a bit (in case of fine nibs giving fine to broad variation), inbetween soft and full flex.

So I would rate the Man 100 (but definitely not 200) this way:

1) made in 1983 and eventually a couple of following years are often semi-flex,

2) later nibs but still not the globe design are a kind of soft, sometimes close to semi-flex,

3) globe nibs are a bit soft but nothing like early nibs.

Not all are the same. I have had 1983 which were soft at best and some 1983 which were really almost full flex and some later non-globe nib were almost semi-flex.

All are great though while the earliest are the best nibs I have used from any brand.

Preferably EU.