The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

My B&m Store Is Phasing Out Waterman Inks - Why?

waterman ink b&m store

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 JesusNeverTappedOut

JesusNeverTappedOut

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2019 - 22:58

Typically...does a small B & M deal directly with the company or with a distributor that represents various companies...

Sponsored Content

#82 OMASsimo

OMASsimo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2019 - 23:42

Some years ago, big conglomerate bought Waterman and Parker name and assets, then moved production away from the U.S.

The latest packaging of Florida/Serenity Blue is fairly recent, this is the first time I have seen it.

Because contemporary Waterman pens are not selling well, the name owners might just try to focus on ink, which they know is a staple, for baby boomers, fountain pen users.  

Legacy ink brands such as Pelikan, Lamy, Parker haven't changed the design of their bottles and outer packaging of everyday/business/school/boring inks, for a while.

What did Waterman change the packaging of theirs?

Is the bottle still the same?

I have no information on how well Waterman pens sell or rather how much profit they make with the sales. I read somewhere that Waterman now being a devision of Newell Brands is the second largest producer of fountain pens today. But apparently they are less prominent in the luxury segment.

The ink pot fortunately wasn't changed, only the label. This is one of the best and most functional ink pots I know of and it would be a pity if they ever changed it. It's worth keeping empty ones to refill with other ink.

Waterman_inkpot.jpg

#83 1nkulus

1nkulus

Thought2Papier via Ink2Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2019 - 20:43

Typically...does a small B & M deal directly with the company or with a distributor that represents various companies...

Distributor/Regional wholesaler, because I doubt their quantities would warrant direct company contact.

Smaller manufacturers might deal with stores directly as only a few might stock their products.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

#84 1nkulus

1nkulus

Thought2Papier via Ink2Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2019 - 21:00

This is one of the best and most functional ink pots I know of and it would be a pity if they ever changed it. It's worth keeping empty ones to refill with other ink.

+1

along with Diamine 80ml, Cd'A Chromatics, MB 60ml, Monteverde 90ml and Sailor.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterman, ink, b&m store

Sponsored Content

|