Kaweco - Will Superglue Solve It?

KaB

Since a few months, I'm using a Kaweco BRASS sport EF as 'always in the pocket of my pants - pen. I've used the cartridge that came with it without a problem. Then I started using the converter (the piston-type). No issues on capacity since I picked EF. But once in a while, I discovered (by sound) the converter wasn't fixed any more. First time, I also discovered the screw-in nib-part wasn't screwed in all the way. So I fixed that, cleaned the pen and continued to enjoy it. Yet in the last few weeks, the converter came loose again. So now I picked an original Kaweco orange cartridge I'd ordered as well. Only to discover a few minutes ago the converter had separated from the nipple and the entire body was filled with orange ink.

So, what is the perfect solution?

I already consider glueing the converter onto the nipple with a few drops of superglue.

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KaB

• Ron Z

• SmurfK

• OMASsimo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Super glue almost always is a really bad idea. It might fix a problem for a short time only. And then it makes it really hard to do the right thing to repair properly. So, I wouldn't do it. I don't know what the reason is for your problem. But if the pen is new, it's still under warranty and you can return it to get it fixed free of charge. If it's an older or second hand pen, go to the repairs forum and ask for help. There you'll find all the experts who can tell you how to fix it properly.

• 2 weeks later...

My Kaweco Sport is kinda similar, in a sense that the cartridge or the converter are not tight fit. Anyway, in my case, I didn't had issues yet with them being removed during normal use.

When we were kids and cartridge fountain pens started to be available, we had this problem rather often, as manufacturing was more hit and miss than it is now. The quick and easy fix was to take a small piece of paper, fold it, and use it as a shim around the cartridge, just to create more pressure, so the cartridge will fit tight. You can do the same, or you can use a little tape around the cartridge/converter.

No reason to use super glue or any other kind of permanent fix.

My Kaweco Sport is kinda similar, in a sense that the cartridge or the converter are not tight fit. Anyway, in my case, I didn't had issues yet with them being removed during normal use.

When we were kids and cartridge fountain pens started to be available, we had this problem rather often, as manufacturing was more hit and miss than it is now. The quick and easy fix was to take a small piece of paper, fold it, and use it as a shim around the cartridge, just to create more pressure, so the cartridge will fit tight. You can do the same, or you can use a little tape around the cartridge/converter.

No reason to use super glue or any other kind of permanent fix.

thx, great tip.

In the 80s, I had lots of these folded papers between the dashboard and the windshield of my first car. To stop it from making all kinds of squeeky noises while driving.

Since this is a real easy solution, I'll give that a go first. At the next inkspill, I'll be measuring the space left in the barrel so I can saw of a small wooden stick at the exact length to fill up the empty space and keep the c of c where it belongs. (Or is that an idea almost as stupid as the superglue?)

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

I was going to suggest that if this is a squeeze converter and not a piston or plunger type, a plug of a stiff foam in the end to hold the converter in position.

Trust me. You would regret using superglue.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

thx, great tip.

In the 80s, I had lots of these folded papers between the dashboard and the windshield of my first car. To stop it from making all kinds of squeeky noises while driving.

Since this is a real easy solution, I'll give that a go first. At the next inkspill, I'll be measuring the space left in the barrel so I can saw of a small wooden stick at the exact length to fill up the empty space and keep the c of c where it belongs. (Or is that an idea almost as stupid as the superglue?)

Using something to fill that extra space in a brass Kaweco Sport is probably an idea. I don't have a brass one though, so I can't say much about it.

What I can say something about is the use of a shim or something to keep the cartridge snug against the nipple in the plastic versions of the Kaweco Sport. Some years ago during a meeting I dropped my fountain pen a short distance, inches, while it was capped and it stopped writing minutes later. I opened the Kaweco Sport up and found that the tiny impact had been enough to not only detach the cartridge from the nipple but to jam it into the end of the barrel. I had nothing that I could get it out of that barrel with, and I had to deal with the meeting, so that was it for that pen for that meeting.

In the next couple of days I decided to "solve" the problem by putting a tiny bit of a cut off cartridge in back of the live cartridge. I had it in there for maybe four or five months, I think. And then one day I took the cap off and the entire section fell out :yikes: . The plastic had been stretched over time by the pressure of the chunk of cartridge that was keeping the live cartridge pressed up to the nipple. End of one Kaweco Sport :crybaby: .

Now this was a white Kaweco Sport, with a gold nib, and I suspect that the white plastic is especially weak in regard to steady pressure. A shim should certainly work in a brass pen, but even with the old, and discontinued, "metallic" Kaweco Sport line I wouldn't shim a cartridge again.

So that's just a little experience I've had. HTH.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Adding a bit of electrical tape around the cartridge did the trick for me, the cartridge is sitting tight, like it is in other pens. Going around two times with electrical tape makes it very tight, you really need to pull in order to get it out. I don't see how this can damage the pen, it's a soft enough material so it can't deform the plastic/metal parts. Just make sure that you have a clean cut of the tape and that you put it tight around the converter, without wrinkles. You can use transparent tape, so you'll have a better view of the ink level.

post-128513-0-75201100-1557509630_thumb.jpg

post-128513-0-07309400-1557509656_thumb.jpg

Edited by SmurfK

• 4 weeks later...

Brilliant. Just brilliant!

(just seems I can't post pics anymore for some reason)

• 1 year later...

Oké, one year down the road. The converter is broken (good thing I didn't superglue it).

The solution with the taped cartridge worked a lot of the time, but failed me from time to time as well, leaving me with a nasty cleaning job (I'm using permanent ink in this pen since I use it 'at all ocasions', like in the supermarket where my shopping list and my hand get wet).

So today, I took the spring of a pen (the non-fountainpen kind) and put that in the back of the barrel. The pressure should keep the cartridge nicely stuck on the nipple.

Anyone who starts rolling his eyes, knowing what I should expect as my next disaster?

I cut a piece of brass tubing to the right length to hold mine in place. The spring is a good idea too. Maybe better.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

I have springs in all three of my Sports (two Skylines, and an AL that is in my pocket everyday); works like a charm!

Most satisfying aspect is that it actually makes a cheap ballpoint useful! :)

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Most satisfying aspect is that it actually makes a cheap ballpoint useful!

I didn't know that was possible.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

Springs are always helpfull. If not available a piece of "artfulyl carved" microcellular rubber can do the trick too.

Edited by Astron

I do not have problems with my sports (two AL, and one Brass) or Lilliput (copper).

I used to, at the beginning, until I noticed (or maybe read somewhere) that they require a bit more pressure to put the converter in the nipple, without that extra pressure it is not fully all its way down and is loose. Once I got the grasp of it, I've never had an issue since with any of the converters (3 syringe type and one sac type).

BTW, I had a spare cartridge which I put on the AL Stonewashed blue almost half a year or more ago and has not had any issue either (I made sure it was pushed all the way down when I placed it). It is now finally time to replace it and I'll get back to the converter.

However... oddly... in the case of the two AL (but not on the Brass one) I find that the syringe type converter doesn't fit lengthwise, i.e. I cannot get a full load and then replace the body back, it is longer, so when I do, I need to not fill up completely, so I can reach the screw threads with the body and then screw the body over the ink bottle, so that when the body pushes the piston forward on screwing, any ink drops fall on the ink bottle. That may help keep the converter in place since it is now tight against the rear part of the body.

When I place the AL body and the section with the syringe converter side by side, it looks by the length of the pushed converter that it is due to the step in barrel width at the rear part for posting the cap. Why it happens with the AL but not the Brass, may mean the Brass is thinner despite its greater weight, or that maybe the AL ones have something inside that I haven't noticed.

I do not care about the ink capacity since a ) I don't have a chance to use any pens much lately and b ) it allows me to switch inks more frequently. :D

Edited by txomsy

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

• 4 weeks later...