• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• como

• francoiacc

• Ceelo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do love the bamboo celluloid of the Extra, absolutely stunning, congrats on the pickup.

Here's another green Extra that was hastily shot the other day. Marbled celluloid on marble is good combination right?

VHGX8HVh.jpg

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

• 2 weeks later...

I do love the bamboo celluloid of the Extra, absolutely stunning, congrats on the pickup.

Here's another green Extra that was hastily shot the other day. Marbled celluloid on marble is good combination right?

+1 about the black bamboo pen.........and your Extra Otto is very handsome too!

Any thoughts on the new Extra Otto Sapphirus?

https://www.kenroindustries.com/portfolio/extra-otto-sapphirus/

Agree with Uncial....like the stone like look of the main material....nothing against metal sections, but at least in photo, the rose gold section is quite dominating visually to my eyes....but might be OK in person.....

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Any thoughts on the new Extra Otto Sapphirus?

https://www.kenroindustries.com/portfolio/extra-otto-sapphirus/

I find the main material truly interesting, even though I have no idea about the weight... In the photos the metal finish looks more bronze than rose gold, which is not bad either.

However, I would warn Montegrappa about abusing of the classic lines of the Extra 1930 and Extra Otto in too many finishes. The original choices in the 1930, in Marbled Green and Turtle celluloid, then Black Bamboo and subsequently Black and White (the last three coexisting), offered over an arc of fifteen years, seemed more reasoned and made of those pens truly classics. The same is true for the Otto, which for years was only offered in Malachite, Shiny Lines and Zebra celluloids.

It seems to me that there may be a risk of an overexposure of the Extra, which could be perceived as a less classic and less exclusive pen, good for all tastes. Montblanc took sixty years to introduce a change in the trim color of his Meisterstück 149 ...

• 5 weeks later...

After lurking a while on this thread, please allow me to share my "new" first ever Montegrappa. A Miya! :)

Although not an Extra per se, the fact that I can see the ink level and the stangely nice bulbeous shape make it a really really nice pen, as well.

I also love the finial, the shape of the section and the fact that there are no deep threads and no step-up at the section-to-body part. This one has a custom OB grind on the old-style duotone 18k nib.

Enjoy:

W2oJKCG.jpg

nzh5ljX.jpg

MjWFC6V.jpg

y6dh5h5.jpg

MnGiefZ.jpg

Edited by RubenDh

I truly believe that the Miya is the most beautiful pen in the "Classica" family, and the red version is really gorgeous! ;)

I also noticed that you had you nib grinded to oblique, which adds even more character to such a beauty pen. I have a Miya with an factory OM nib, and it is so lovely :P

Edited by francoiacc

After lurking on this thread, please allow me to share my "new" Montegrappa Miya.

Although not an Extra per se, the fact that I can see the ink level and the bulbeous shape make it a really really nice pen, as well.

I love the finial, the shape and the fact that there are no deep threads/stepup at the section-to-body part. This one has a custom OB grind on the old-style duotone 18k nib.

Enjoy:

MjWFC6V.jpg

I truly believe that the Miya is the most beautiful pen in the "Classica" family, and the red version is really gorgeous! ;)

I also noticed that you had you nib grinded to oblique, which adds even more character to such a beauty pen. I have a Miya with an factory OM nib, and it is so lovely :P

Welcome among the Montegrappists!

I do have a Miya in turquoise celluloid, with a perfectly tuned fine nib that is true joy to use! And, in our family, we have two more Miyas, in red and yellow (ah, those delicate stripings tone sur tone) and a Miya Argento in turquoise celluloid. All of them are great writers.

Franco, you have to post a writing sample of your factory OM nib!

As to the Extras, I am badly wanting a Black and White...

• 1 month later...

Good friends at work :-)

49723110658_cc150863c6_b.jpg

Beautiful!! I have been trying to get my hands on a reasonably priced green marbled for years!

Beautiful!! I have been trying to get my hands on a reasonably priced green marbled for years!

Thanks... When I ordered them, I had to wait for the green marbled to be manufactured; also EF nibs were difficult to obtain, but worth the wait :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3448/3377063898_1eaf38aeda_o.jpg

The Danitrio Fellowship

This is going to be a very special thread. The MG Extra and associated family are some of the most superb pens to come out of Italy, and are probably my personal favourite. There are so many variants, I think it might eclipse the Etruria thread for celluloid types.

I'm glad Chris invited participation from crappy photographers, so I can put up a few pics of some of my round bodied celluloid Montegrappas.

d1Zi1WA.jpg?1

These are Classica in cinnamon, Historia in grey, Extra 1930 in black/white and Miya Alfa Romeo. The regular Miya differs from these lines in having a bulging barrel before it meets the section. All of these pens have straight profiles. The Classica and Historia have the same flared section - one in celluoid and the other in sterling. Both have captive converters, but the Historia barrel can't unscrew from the section, whereas the Classica can be unscrewed at either end of the barrel (at least on my examples). The Extra is piston fill, and the Miya a cartridge/converter - there is no blind cap.

M4OzBHR.jpg?1

The cap bands are here:

DbukODR.jpg?1

and nibs:

pqQMWUO.jpg?1

Re: comparing these pens to the Stipula Etruria, hopefully, this will help (full size piston, faceted piston and slim C/C):

Y8gvyAI.jpg?1

and section shape/width/nibs here:

sIIyddn.jpg?1

The Montegrappa celluloids here are relatively simple colours, as I wanted to compare the different grey/black and the two red celluloid options. No doubt, we will see some spectacular materials being shared as the thread progresses.

Have Extra 1930 and Miya, but your comparison is very informative and if I may add, so cool!

Wow! So the Classica and Hystoria have a very similar section as the Myia.

Current modern daily users: Montegrappa Miya, Omas AM87, S.T.Dupont D-Line, Stipula Etruria Tuscany Dreams, Tibaldi Modello 60.

Current vintage daily users: Aurora 98p, Big Red Lucky Curve, MB622, P51, P75, Pelikan NN400.

• 3 weeks later...

Your pictures are always a joy to the eyes.

I have my Black Bamboo with me right now and took notes all morning with it. I did have to work hard on the nib, but now it's probably the most amazing EF (actually EEF) nib I've ever used. I do write with B+ nibs, but this pen is really hard to let go...

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Your pictures are always a joy to the eyes.

I have my Black Bamboo with me right now and took notes all morning with it. I did have to work hard on the nib, but now it's probably the most amazing EF (actually EEF) nib I've ever used. I do write with B+ nibs, but this pen is really hard to let go...

I have an EF nib mounted on the forefront Turtle brown, and I heartily agree with you. It is a true EEF nib, not flexible, but of extraordinary precision in the strokes. A joy to use. Since Montegrappa changed the previous M for this EEF last summer, I had the pen only filled with Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz, and the combination is fantastic to my eyes.

My Black Bamboo has a stub nib: one of 4-5 best nibs in absolute in my collection.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been fascinated by the bulbous barrel shape of Miya which I find attractive and unique, so finally I could add it to the little family. RubenDh: my Miya says hi to yours! :)

fpn_1588687331__img_6788.jpg

fpn_1588687352__img_6789.jpg

RubenDh: my Miya says hi to yours! :)

Oh hello, beauty! How do you like the shape? I have been using mine for a while now and often wonder if it's just slightly too small for me.

I meight have a chance to get my hands on a tortoise Extra 1930 (just as the one in the middle of your picture).

From your experience, how big is the difference between the two models? Would you think the 'upgrade' to an Extra is worth the much more expensive price tag?

RubenDh: I think if you find Miya slightly small, probably the Extra 1930 would be the right size for you. Here is a size comparison uncapped. When I put the two pens side by side, Extra 1930 gives the impression of a full size pen, while Miya is a notch and a half smaller. Of course Extra 1930 has the size #8 nib. The nib appears smaller than its size indicates because for some reason these nibs are seated very deeply in the collar/section. Price wise: The Extra 1930 (and the Otto) are really expensive. I bought my Turtle Brown new at a retailer. If you can get a used one from a trusty source, that would be ideal. Chatterley sold a version of the Turtle that cost less than the official Extra 1930 but essentially the same thing. I also like very much the Novelli/Corsani version La Verde Roma, which has a celluloid section and also costs less. But if you want the one and only Extra 1930 Turtle Brown, well you know .... For me, these two are very different pens, so it was worth getting both. But the wallet might disagree.

fpn_1588706660__img_6793.jpg