The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Montegrappa Extra Photo Thread

montegrappa extra extra1930 fountain pen montegrappa extra montegrappa extra 1930

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#21 fpupulin

fpupulin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 22:59

In the light of the down...

fpn_1556751500__light_of_the_down_on_the

Sponsored Content

#22 dms525

dms525

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 May 2019 - 19:09

In the light of the down...

fpn_1556751500__light_of_the_down_on_the

These are all beautiful pens, but your photography is stellar! I am in awe of both.

David

#23 como

como

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:30

Another photo-shy "couple", Turtle + Roma  :blush:

Attached Images

• IMG_2473.jpg

#24 sansenri

sansenri

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,315 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:57

some great pens and photos!

(and I also love Franco's spreadsheet!)

my Classica here (quick documentary photo, no attempt to be artistic... :) )

fpn_1556963709__p1160721-3_montegrappa_c

#25 sansenri

sansenri

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,315 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:00

I have not seen a Miya Azzurra in this thread yet, so here is mine

fpn_1556963988__p1160717-3_montegrappa_m

#26 sansenri

sansenri

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,315 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:08

and this is the Miya Argento Rossa

fpn_1556964444__p1160519-3_montegrappa_m

#27 como

como

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:47

and this is the Miya Argento Rossa

fpn_1556964444__p1160519-3_montegrappa_m

sansenri: These are very vibrant colours that you shared, beautiful! Somehow I quite like the "hump" leading towards the section on Miya model. Is the pen comfortable to hold? Thanks.

Regards,

como

#28 AGxM

AGxM

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2019 - 12:32

Has anyone had one custom made from the site? Loving the celluloid, but not sure of metal section

#29 sansenri

sansenri

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,315 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2019 - 13:49

The hump on the Miya is unusual but not uncomfortable, it falls in a place where the extra width does not bother (me at least).

The section is metal, but it's silver ... which in a way is not as slippery as steel would be, also being silver it sorts of warms up quickly.

I usually don't love metal sections myself, but all the Montegrappa are an exception for me.

#30 francoiacc

francoiacc

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 May 2019 - 13:59

I found the Miya Argento even more conformable than the standard Miya because of the pattern on the section that makes it not slippery at all. The hump of the Miya is its distinctive sign, that, to my eyes, makes this model one of the most interesting in the Extra family.

#31 fpupulin

fpupulin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 827 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 22:17

I have not seen a Miya Azzurra in this thread yet, so here is mine

fpn_1556963988__p1160717-3_montegrappa_m

Is it the so-called "turquoise"? The three-dimensional effect off this celluloid is sensational!

I agree, the "hump" made the traditional Miyas (both the original and the Argento or Silver) absolutely distinctive and unique. As your photos show, they also had quite a "vibrant" selection of colors, truly beautiful.

My daughter, Margherita, is particularly fond on Miyas, of which she has three: a Red, a Yellow, and a Silver Turquoise.

I also like the new incarnation of this model, the Carbon, even though the pen lost its typical hump. But I really like all the four colors available in the Miya Carbon (yellow, orange, red, and charcoal).

I found the Miya Argento even more conformable than the standard Miya because of the pattern on the section that makes it not slippery at all. The hump of the Miya is its distinctive sign, that, to my eyes, makes this model one of the most interesting in the Extra family.

Your Miya Argento in blue, posted in the previous page, is beautiful: a great color for a great pen. Congratulations!

Edited by fpupulin, 04 May 2019 - 22:18.

#32 fpupulin

fpupulin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 827 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 22:21

Let me share the vibrancy of my Extra Rossa:

fpn_1546471820__montegrappa_extra_red_ce

#33 fpupulin

fpupulin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 827 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 22:27

And again the extraordinary Turtle celluloid of one of my Extra 1930s, here photographed with the humble Central American orchid flower of an Encyclia alata grown at the Lankester Botanical Garden:

fpn_1557008603__montegrappa_extra_1930_t

#34 como

como

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:27

The hump on the Miya is unusual but not uncomfortable, it falls in a place where the extra width does not bother (me at least).

The section is metal, but it's silver ... which in a way is not as slippery as steel would be, also being silver it sorts of warms up quickly.

I usually don't love metal sections myself, but all the Montegrappa are an exception for me.

Thank you both for confirming that the Miya model is comfortable to hold. I am not a fan of metal section either and I also agree that Montegrappa silver section is an exception, probably because the section is short, the step-down is gentle, and the material itself is less slippery. The chrome/platinum/rhodium plated metal sections feel much harder and more slippery. The "hump" is cool  :D

#35 aggoo

aggoo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:58

Thank you both for confirming that the Miya model is comfortable to hold. I am not a fan of metal section either and I also agree that Montegrappa silver section is an exception, probably because the section is short, the step-down is gentle, and the material itself is less slippery. The chrome/platinum/rhodium plated metal sections feel much harder and more slippery. The "hump" is cool  :D

The Miya is indeed comfortable to hold, although it does feel quite different to the Extra and other pens with a straight/lightly tapered section.  You'll notice it has a 2-stage section where it tapers quite sharply and then straightens.  It makes it feel a lot stubbier in my hand at least.  

I totally agree with you re MG metal sections.  All of mine are somehow very nice and comfortable to hold, even the little Micra, and I think it's the sterling silver plus the balance of the pen.  I was playing with an Omas new Paragon with a metal section before and my fingers were slipping all over it.  Gonna move it on I think.

#36 como

como

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:18

The Miya is indeed comfortable to hold, although it does feel quite different to the Extra and other pens with a straight/lightly tapered section.  You'll notice it has a 2-stage section where it tapers quite sharply and then straightens.  It makes it feel a lot stubbier in my hand at least.  

I totally agree with you re MG metal sections.  All of mine are somehow very nice and comfortable to hold, even the little Micra, and I think it's the sterling silver plus the balance of the pen.  I was playing with an Omas new Paragon with a metal section before and my fingers were slipping all over it.  Gonna move it on I think.

Thank you, aggoo. I also have an Omas Paragon new style with a long metal section, much less comfortable with longer writing session, and worse when fingers get sweaty. I put up with it because it's really beautiful (mine is the ART Vision blue demo version). I have seen the Omas new Paragon with sterling silver section and wonder if they are better than the glossy plated metal section. MG silver section is no problem at all.

#37 francoiacc

francoiacc

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:46

Let me share the vibrancy of my Extra Rossa:

The Red of the Montegrappa celluloid is truly amazing with the depth and the nuances in the color, I really love it. I also saw the Cinnamon celluloid in several pictures online and it looks to me a bit darker than the red and to my eyes it makes this material even more unique! 

Edited by francoiacc, 06 May 2019 - 10:46.

#38 fpupulin

fpupulin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 827 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 13:02

The Red of the Montegrappa celluloid is truly amazing with the depth and the nuances in the color, I really love it. I also saw the Cinnamon celluloid in several pictures online and it looks to me a bit darker than the red and to my eyes it makes this material even more unique!

The cinnamon has a kind of “swirl” pattern that reminds that of the old pens in ebonite and hardened rubber. In person, however, it lacks that remarkable “deepness“ that is characteristic of most Montegrappa’s materials.

Montegrappa has used the interesting Cinnamon celluloid quite sparingly, and recently reintroduced it in the “Nazionale” series.

#39 fpupulin

fpupulin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 827 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 19:13

The vibrancy of the celluloids made sometimes quite difficult to decide which pen to grab from the box.

And looking at my preferred colors within the box, I just realize how badly I want an Extra 1930 Black and White... 

fpn_1557255808__my_celluloid_pens_fp.jpg

#40 francoiacc

francoiacc

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2019 - 19:51

:yikes: I wish I had your same issue: which one to pick up from the top floor of this chest of drawers with who know what other beauties.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montegrappa, extra, extra1930, fountain pen, montegrappa extra, montegrappa extra 1930

Sponsored Content

|