The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Does Anyone Else Also Use Manual Typewriters? What For?

typewriter correspondence letters letter pen pal vintage

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 AlohaJim

AlohaJim

Carpe Diem

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:42

I took 4 years of Latin in school (this was back in the 1970's), and my teacher was always complaining that he couldn't read my handwriting (funny, nobody else ever complained).  Our homework assignments were required to be in a spiral-bound notebook.  So, the way I shut him up was to unwind the spiral binding at home, take out a page and put it in my typewriter, type out my assignment, and finally re-thread the spiral binding back onto my notebook, including the typewritten pages.  Both my teacher and fellow students were awe struck - they couldn't figure out how I was able to stuff my whole notebook into a typewriter!  And, this was a college prep school with supposedly "bright" students.  Anyway, that teacher's harassment was turned into respect from that point forward.

Very shrewd indeed!!!

Cool.

jim.

My Photography Web Page

http://www.uscommerc...photography.com

flying-letter-exc.png

Sponsored Content

#42 AlohaJim

AlohaJim

Carpe Diem

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:44

I'm a retired businessman. (back in the day) I used to use manual typewriters to type out tenant leases and contracts, in triplicate, with icky carbon paper.

Times have sure changed. . . . . . 

aloha

jim

My Photography Web Page

flying-letter-exc.png

#43 dkirchge

dkirchge

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:48

I used one when I was in grade school for my reports, then upgraded to an electric in college, although at that point I wound up using a word processor more often than not, I bought a Royal a few years ago for creative writing projects and my wife loved the sound, but I found I preferred doing my creative writing with pen and ink, so let the typewriter go.

-- Doug K.

#44 Ozzy1

Ozzy1

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2019 - 16:38

Grandfathers typewriter. Works like a charm. I replaced the ink ribbon a few years ago and its still good. I've use it a few times to fill out some forms. 
image.jpeg

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

#45 AlohaJim

AlohaJim

Carpe Diem

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2019 - 18:25

Grandfathers typewriter. Works like a charm. I replaced the ink ribbon a few years ago and its still good. I've use it a few times to fill out some forms. 

What a beauty!

j

My Photography Web Page

flying-letter-exc.png

#46 dennis_f

dennis_f

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:17

That's just beautiful.  Wow.

#47 ParramattaPaul

ParramattaPaul

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2019 - 17:19

I hated doing it, but I donated the Smith Corona portable typewriter that traveled much of the known world since I bought it in early 1969. That was at the insistence of my late wife during a particularly aggressive 'Spring Clean'.

St. Vincent de Paul's gain, my loss albeit mostly nostalgic.

#48 Aquaria

Aquaria

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:29

I have an old electric Olivetti from (I think) the 60s or 70s, that I use for labels--mailing, file folder, etc. When I need only a handful of printed labels, the typewriter is aces, because I can pick up where I left off on a large roll or sheet. Sometimes, I need only 8-10 file folder labels, not 200 of them. So I can type them up, quick as can be, and no worries about how to align that half-used sheet of labels into the printer to get them to work.

I prefer them for typing addresses onto an envelope for mailing. I don't do this often, so I only need something quick and easy.

For anything I need to fill out on a duplicate or triplicate form--increasingly rare, but still out there, I use the typewriter.

I also used it in the past for practicing typing tests, because it's the best way to gauge accuracy. You can't cheat by hitting a correct button with most of the old school typewriters.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: typewriter, correspondence, letters, letter, pen pal, vintage

Sponsored Content

|