The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Does Anyone Else Also Use Manual Typewriters? What For?

typewriter correspondence letters letter pen pal vintage

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2019 - 19:13

You can also refresh old ribbons so long as they aren't tattered.

Bit difficult if the ribbon is a two color black/red.

Sponsored Content

#22 the-smell-of-dust-after-rain

the-smell-of-dust-after-rain

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2019 - 21:44

That's harder, but there are ways.  The ink is oil based, so there was something that you can add to the ribbon to lubricate the dried out pigment... or something.  I wasn't really paying attention as it's less than $10 for a new ribbon from amazon.  But like I said, I have to re-spool it as the modern spools don't fit my machines.  

petrichor

#23 Frozenoak

Frozenoak

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2019 - 21:54

Brilliant!  Thanks for the info.  If the keys function I think I'm going to pick it up.  Odds are it'll get light use.

#24 the-smell-of-dust-after-rain

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2019 - 00:32

Go for it!

Do you know what type it is?

Never use a typewriter without paper in it.  The platen (black rolly thing behind the paper) damage is the most common issue these days and hardest to fix.

keys getting stuck is usually solved through cleaning.  Takes a lot of time and effort, but worth it!  

The carriage not moving is another big issue in old typewriters.  Could be the carriage lock is on or something inside needs fixing.  Easy to fix if you don't mind painstakingly small tasks and minuscule adjustments (I love it!)

The book goes into more detail.  Typewriters were built to be repaired with the older machines repaired by the user.  Most of the problems with typewriters I've seen so far are user misuse.  

Edited by the-smell-of-dust-after-rain, 21 May 2019 - 00:32.

petrichor

#25 Frozenoak

Frozenoak

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:10

I'm going to walk over there this Saturday.  The only thing I can think to do with it, as of right now, is to return address my outgoing envelopes.  Once I have it, I'm sure more uses will come to mind. 

And now that you mention restoration, I might buy it despite it's flaws, if I find any.  I'm sure my wife won't mind if I bring another project home ;-)  Is the Platen hard to repair because there aren't that many replacement parts? or do you mean actually repairing it.  I might need some negotiating points.

#26 the-smell-of-dust-after-rain

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:59

I don't know if anyone makes the platen anymore.  It's usually a kind of dense rubber and the usual bad bit is that it goes hard and slippery over time so the paper won't grip properly.  Or it sometimes gets exposed to oils which degrades it.  It can get a flat spot on it.  Another thing that can happen if the typebars are sharp, is the keys can cut into the rubber, which destroys it.  Typing without paper or if things are misaligned, can cause this. 

My platen is a bit stiff these days, so I generally use two sheets of paper to extend its life.

I've heard there are ways of restoring it.  Typewriter Talk would have some suggestions http://typewriter.bo...t.com/index.php

petrichor

#27 Vivien

Vivien

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:35

I actually still have a typewriter. It's an electric type with a daisy wheel and cartridge based ink ribbon. The typewriter has a memory which allows for letters to be written even if you write quickly like me and manage to outpace the mechanism. The memory also allows for deleting written text from the paper with the push of a button.

The last time I used it must have been about ten years ago. Towards the end I mostly used it to fill out government forms because I wanted to make sure the content was correctly conveyed. Then everything became digital and it has been gathering dust in the basement ever since.

#28 fountainpagan

fountainpagan

Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:48

Here you have several sellers who offer typewritter ribbons, even two-colors' ones. They have also costum made ones:

TYPEWRITTER RIBBONS

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

#29 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:00

I remember hammering away on my great grandma's as a small child.

It was (bleep) satisfying. 

But that's why we invented mechanical keyboards. I do carry a small tenkeyless one of those with me to work so I don't have to use the nasty mushy rubber dome ones at hospitals filled with all kinds of ghonnosyphiherpelaids.

Mechanical keyboards give a lot of the same satisfaction.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#30 colrehogan

colrehogan

Pt Pd

• Member - Gold

• 888 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 June 2019 - 21:21

I am a collector and user of typewriters.  I use mine for correspondence with type-pals, writing my fanfiction, and type blogging.  I also am trying to learn as much as I can about repairing them.  You can get platen and feed roller rubber replaced.  Many of mine are pre-1900/pre-WWI and I enjoy using those that work; the majority of them do.

Smith Premier No. 4

#31 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 June 2019 - 19:56

If anyone is really enamored of obtaining an old portable typewriter... May I suggest

https://deutscheoptik.com/Typewriters/

#32 OregonJim

OregonJim

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:57

I took 4 years of Latin in school (this was back in the 1970's), and my teacher was always complaining that he couldn't read my handwriting (funny, nobody else ever complained).  Our homework assignments were required to be in a spiral-bound notebook.  So, the way I shut him up was to unwind the spiral binding at home, take out a page and put it in my typewriter, type out my assignment, and finally re-thread the spiral binding back onto my notebook, including the typewritten pages.  Both my teacher and fellow students were awe struck - they couldn't figure out how I was able to stuff my whole notebook into a typewriter!  And, this was a college prep school with supposedly "bright" students.  Anyway, that teacher's harassment was turned into respect from that point forward.

#33 1nkulus

1nkulus

Thought2Papier via Ink2Pen

• Member - Gold

• 2,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 June 2019 - 14:12

I have two from my grandfather, which I use twice a month to keep them in working order.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

#34 sandy101

sandy101

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,806 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 June 2019 - 20:12

I use mine to get a Project started. 

They are drafting tools - you can't (easily) go back - so you only have a forward motion.

Great for 1st or 2nd drafts to get stuff down.

Then I move onto a computer - with a stack of paper to work from.  

#35 Marlow

Marlow

Happily ink-stained

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 18:52

I have an old Oliver 11 that my policeman grandad used to use to submit his reports. I don't use it other than to admire it as

I pass it in the hallway.

Oliver 11.jpg

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard. A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have nothing to do but smell." Laura Ingalls Wilder

#36 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 20:33

The horror!

That one is downright scary... Separate CAP and FIG shifts... and no obvious carriage return lever.

#37 Marlow

Marlow

Happily ink-stained

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 22:56

The horror!

That one is downright scary... Separate CAP and FIG shifts... and no obvious carriage return lever.

Gorgeous though, isn't it?! I love its obviously old look and the history behind it makes it special to me. :happyberet:

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard. A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have nothing to do but smell." Laura Ingalls Wilder

#38 Marlow

Marlow

Happily ink-stained

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 00:26

I took 4 years of Latin in school (this was back in the 1970's), and my teacher was always complaining that he couldn't read my handwriting (funny, nobody else ever complained).  Our homework assignments were required to be in a spiral-bound notebook.  So, the way I shut him up was to unwind the spiral binding at home, take out a page and put it in my typewriter, type out my assignment, and finally re-thread the spiral binding back onto my notebook, including the typewritten pages.  Both my teacher and fellow students were awe struck - they couldn't figure out how I was able to stuff my whole notebook into a typewriter!  And, this was a college prep school with supposedly "bright" students.  Anyway, that teacher's harassment was turned into respect from that point forward.

Dayumm! Got my respect retro-actively, too! A+ for effort! My old latin teacher had a very shiny bald head and we called him chromedome !

Edited by Marlow, 30 June 2019 - 00:27.

#39 AlohaJim

AlohaJim

Carpe Diem

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:35

I have several.

I mainly use my Hermés 500 because it is the one with softer touches.

I copy poems, sometimes I write letters with, I do some journaling, too. I enjoy beeing able to travel to past times without a time machine ;)

Well said.

That is a beautiful way to describe it.

Thanks,

jim

My Photography Web Page

http://www.uscommerc...photography.com

flying-letter-exc.png

#40 AlohaJim

AlohaJim

Carpe Diem

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:40

I am a collector and user of typewriters.  I use mine for correspondence with type-pals, writing my fanfiction, and type blogging.  I also am trying to learn as much as I can about repairing them.  You can get platen and feed roller rubber replaced.  Many of mine are pre-1900/pre-WWI and I enjoy using those that work; the majority of them do.

I have been searching for "type-pals". PM me any links to sites that feature this if you can.

There are 2 vintage typewriters in my collection. A Royal and a student Hermes which is sort of like the precursor to a laptop it seems. Both work great.

On the days when the arthritis in my hands acts up, I've been thinking of using the typewriter to correspond to fountain pen folks that I write to. But, it seems rude and not inline with the forum and protocol. So, I've been printing a bit more here and there.

Besides, the joy of improving ones cursive with a great fountain pen with the perfect ink and the perfect paper is unmatched.

Aloha

jim

My Photography Web Page

http://www.uscommerc...photography.com

flying-letter-exc.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: typewriter, correspondence, letters, letter, pen pal, vintage

Sponsored Content

|