Help Me Pick An Ink For A Love Letter

3nding

I've written a love letter type thing before and I wrote it in his favourite colour, orange. I went for Noodler's Apache Sunset. He really liked it, but I'd agree with those who say that it doesn't matter what colour you write it in, it's the gesture and the content that really matters.

CHECK OUT MA BLOG! www.inkredibleblog.wordpress.com

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NeverTapOut

• ParkerDuofold

• OMASsimo

• 1nkulus

Love, real love, is serious business.

Right now, you have infatuation. That can grow into real love, but they are very different things. Infatuation is a feeling, and not something over which you have much control.

Love is a choice.

Love is the choice to seek to provide for your beloved that which is to her authentic good, as a gift, with no intention of obtaining something in return. This requires insight, empathy, knowledge, and self-sacrifice. As I said, love on this level is definitely a serious business, and black ink is entirely suitable for something so important.

Also, nota bene that the opposite of love is not to hate another, but to use her. Be sure that you are not using her. Nothing is more certain to destroy any love you might hope to enkindle within her.

As for me, I did use black ink for years to write love letters, and a stub nib. A few years back, when I was considering Iro Yama-Guri as The Essential Brown, and told my wife I regarded it as a suitable Christmas gift, she bought for me a bottle of Ku-Jaku (the Amazon page I linked to for her had them both, and that was what it defaulted to). I had no interest in a teal at the time, and used it little, if at all. Then, for Christmas 2017, she bought me an Aqua Demonstrator Pelikan M205, and I spent a few days deciding what ink to fill it with, and inspiration struck -- I used the Ku-Jaku, which is a beautiful match. This combination is now my go-to for writing love letters to her, in part to show my appreciation for these wonderful gifts.

I could make arguments for both positive and negative associations for nearly any color you might consider. Use whatever you like. As others have said, the sheer physicality of the letter will likely have much more impact than the choice of ink.

I'm going to echo recommendations for quality paper, and some size smaller than letter or A4. And if you know her favorite color, or can pick something reminiscent of your wonderful weekend together, that would be great.

An then tell the recipient about the permanence quality of the ink which is symbolic of your undying affection.

There are many (nano-)pigment inks, as well as inks that satisfy the criteria in ISO 12757-2 for archival quality, in many different colours on the market. If the O.P. is going to venture away from the inks he already has, there is still the question of which colour if he wants to choose an ink based on the 'permanence quality'.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Love, real love, is serious business.

Right now, you have infatuation. That can grow into real love, but they are very different things. Infatuation is a feeling, and not something over which you have much control.

Love is a choice.

Love is the choice to seek to provide for your beloved that which is to her authentic good, as a gift, with no intention of obtaining something in return. This requires insight, empathy, knowledge, and self-sacrifice. As I said, love on this level is definitely a serious business, and black ink is entirely suitable for something so important.

Also, nota bene that the opposite of love is not to hate another, but to use her. Be sure that you are not using her. Nothing is more certain to destroy any love you might hope to enkindle within her.

As for me, I did use black ink for years to write love letters, and a stub nib. A few years back, when I was considering Iro Yama-Guri as The Essential Brown, and told my wife I regarded it as a suitable Christmas gift, she bought for me a bottle of Ku-Jaku (the Amazon page I linked to for her had them both, and that was what it defaulted to). I had no interest in a teal at the time, and used it little, if at all. Then, for Christmas 2017, she bought me an Aqua Demonstrator Pelikan M205, and I spent a few days deciding what ink to fill it with, and inspiration struck -- I used the Ku-Jaku, which is a beautiful match. This combination is now my go-to for writing love letters to her, in part to show my appreciation for these wonderful gifts.

I could make arguments for both positive and negative associations for nearly any color you might consider. Use whatever you like. As others have said, the sheer physicality of the letter will likely have much more impact than the choice of ink.

I'm going to echo recommendations for quality paper, and some size smaller than letter or A4. And if you know her favorite color, or can pick something reminiscent of your wonderful weekend together, that would be great.

Very well said, Arkanabar. :thumbup:

But I still would never use black in a love letter... nothing personal,... but while love is "serious business"; it is also God's Greatest Gift to us... it deserves a much more joyous color... IMHO. :)

Be well, God bless. :)

- Anthony

LOL, most women I knew/know (excluding my lovely fiancée!) expect one to either somehow already 'know' — through a level of keen observation (or research!) and attention to details that are often attributed to mentalists and stalkers — what their 'favourite' colours, flowers and foods are, or be excusably 'slow' in such things and therefore isn't 'The One'.

(I just ran this past my fiancée and she agrees, haha!)

How rude.

Back when I was single, around the time dirt was young, I never expected any man to read my mind. If a guy wanted to know something, I told him if he plucked up the courage to ask. To me it showed consideration to ask, rather than assume anything.

But I wasn't one of those immature women who played ridiculous games with men for my own shallow amusement.

Again, is the OP even reading these various ruminations on love? He/she has not posted again in this three-page thread.

How rude.

Back when I was single, around the time dirt was young, I never expected any man to read my mind. If a guy wanted to know something, I told him if he plucked up the courage to ask. To me it showed consideration to ask, rather than assume anything.

But I wasn't one of those immature women who played ridiculous games with men for my own shallow amusement.

+1. God bless you... we need more like you. :thumbup:

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Again, is the OP even reading these various ruminations on love? He/she has not posted again in this three-page thread.

Perhaps after reading through our responses; a monastery/convent seemed like the better option. :rolleyes:

- Anthony

Green, Brown, Black, whatever - it's not the color you use, it's the words that you use.

How rude.

+1...she kind of did tell the OP..."she has a hard time with long distance relationships...however that statement can be subject to interpretation...

Montblanc Lavender Purple, it is warm and vibrant, filled with passion!

Edited by ByronZ

Has the OP come back?

Last seen over at typewriternetwork.com inquiring if Underwood or Smith Corona would be more appropriate.

It's a he I think because "she is not into long distance relationships"...however

Last seen over at typewriternetwork.com inquiring if Underwood or Smith Corona would be more appropriate.

That's Funny... :lticaptd: I chocked on the water I was drinking.

Edited by Jesus1

Jumping in here a bit late, but not going to jump into discussion about love.

just a few practical points..

1. No matter which ink you choose, please make sure it works with the paper you are using. Test it first.

2. Something I didn't really see mentioned here. Legibility is very important. I think one of the concerns about most shades of red and green would be that it is very "aggressive". While seeing it a blot on paper, it is a nice colour; trying to read a whole letter written in it may not be pleasant for the eyes. so please, soft tones, earthy colours, good contrast on the paper you are writing on (light greys or baby blues on white paper can be challenging ).

3. Legible fonts please. You are trying to convey a message, please don't let her struggle trying to read it.

3. It also depends on the reader and how perceptive is she into such things.. Can she recognize that you chose a special colour? not a run- of -the mill plastic pen variation you randomly bought? but pain-stakingly chosen?

4. That said, I believe content is more important than the colour of ink. What you have to say makes the letter special. Dwell on that!

Some of the colours I came across lately that are quite nice for this would be

1. Montblanc sand of the desert (Reddish brown, but somehow quite calming to read)

2. Robert Oster Thunderstorm (only if she can recognize this is not a standard blue or black) and you are using a wet writer.

3. Lamy Crystal Ink - Azurite (bright, but it seems quite pleasant to read)

I think the others have much more experience with ink, hope this helps you to choose the ink..

Edited by Says

3. Legible fonts please. You are trying to convey a message, please don't let her struggle trying to read it.

My husband isn't the most romantic guy on the planet -- I had to flat out tell him not to buy me board games for Christmas anymore :roller1: -- and he's also not good at noticing details (if it's not involving debugging computer code). I'm sure it would have never occurred to him to write me a letter when we were dating (I was happy enough with a weekly phone call -- it was also a long distance relationship) and his handwriting is so illegible that occasionally HE can't even read it.... B)

Oh and thanks for the suggestions of RO Thunderstorm (I have yet to try the same I have of it :headsmack:) and of Lamy Crystal Azurite (which is on my short list of "Inks I REALLY Need to Buy...."

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

How about adding some mystering/intrigue to the event ............... write using lemon juice, and when your lover says "hey daaaahlink, you have forgotten to put ink in your pen", you can say with an air of deep passion - "try holding the paper over the radiator, and my words of warmest love will be revealed".

or not, as the case might be;-)

Edited by PaulS

All this is very amusing, indeed. But by now I think that the whole story is as close to reality as a Jane Austen novel. So, we could write a novel instead of answering to a post that obviously was deserted by the original poster. ;)