How Come Lamy Korea Has Cool Promos Like This And We Don't

Sal the List Maker

And their pastel ones come in a tin like this? I did get a converter and 4 cartridges (2 blue and 2 black) for each pen, but they were all shoved in the regular black cardboard box.

post-120427-0-80664700-1556583046_thumb.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• Sal the List Maker

• ParkerDuofold

• Astronymus

Those tins are very nice indeed!

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I doubt these cups would entice most people in USA (for example) to buy a *pen* package, so those are not offered. Marketing decisions for different market preferences.

+1

and because of the competition in Asian markets, they have to keep offering 'little extras' to entice customers.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I bought the special edition Coffee Al-Star Pen from amazon.co.uk, and it came in plastic blister packaging with a pen holder. It held one pen. Otherwise it’s always that cardboard box with the vents.

Sadly I seem to have lost the pen holder. I don’t get why some vendors do not include the converter.

Posted Image

In my opinion, brands like Lamy want to appear as luxury brands in countries like Korea. High-quality stationery is not as common as in Japan, and most people aren't willing to spend a lot of money. If Koreans want to buy a fountain pen, they can buy one at Daiso for 2 USD, or a Preppy. However, they are OK with spending money on luxury items so you have to be in this segment as a brand.

It seems that Lamy indeed have gone to some lengths here, a nice store and nice packaging. However they also adapt prices to be in the luxury segment. The nice tin shown in this thread costs roughly 50 USD. An Al-Star goes up to 80 USD. For that money they don't mind adding a converter!

I also heard that the Korean market is considered an entry point for the Chinese market, where everybody wants to be present, so that may be another reason why Lamy opens such a nice store there.

It seems that Lamy indeed have gone to some lengths here, a nice store and nice packaging. However they also adapt prices to be in the luxury segment. The nice tin shown in this thread costs roughly 50 USD. An Al-Star goes up to 80 USD. For that money they don't mind adding a converter!

That is optimistic pricing. yikes.gif Explains the store, tin and converter.

The Cult pricing at present, for Pastels is $22 and AL-star is $33 and that is with VAT.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Matching penholders!?!

Ok... that is just not fair, now.

At those pricing levels, they can afford to indulge the customer. biggrin.png Good marketing, if they can register an increase in sales.

Engineer :

Lamy really knows how to p*ss off homeland buyers. :lol:

Lamy really knows how to p*ss off homeland buyers. laugh.png

Not really.

We get better pricing, Asia gets better goodies. biggrin.png

Engineer :

I wouldn't pay 80 USD for those, even with all the bling.

Does not stop me from having a severe case of pen sleeve envy, damn it.

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Lamy sold coffee cups? Coffee-brown color, with an excellent coffee, sounds like a good car trip to me.

Not really.

We get better pricing, Asia gets better goodies. biggrin.png

This is true... I buy all of my Lamy and Pelikan pens from Cult Pens in England now... they're prices are way better than what I'd pay in the States... and sometimes, even the packaging is better. :)

- Anthony

This is true... I buy all of my Lamy and Pelikan pens from Cult Pens in England now... they're prices are way better than what I'd pay in the States... and sometimes, even the packaging is better. smile.png

You can give LCdC in NL a shot, if you prefer a change.

The minimum spend with Cult for free shipping is a lot lower, £50 vs €150 for LCdC.

OTOH, with such pricing, I hope the foray into Asian markets does not suffer a setback for Lamy.

Engineer :